Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Dating sites

(11 Posts)
happyandsingle Sun 03-Apr-16 10:12:59

Just about to join a dating site. Only want to do a paid one as im looking for more serious people who actually want a ltr.
I am 37.
My questions are what is the best paid site for like minded people. And even though im 37 I dont want to really date men older than 41.
Am I being realistic in this? Ive seen so many threads on here about women only getting contacted by much older men and I know the older you get the harder it is to find decent single men.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Just to add I was thinking of setting my age limits 35-41.

ohforfoxsake Sun 03-Apr-16 10:18:57

It's often the case that many men will put they are looking for someone a good 10 years younger.

I used Guardian Soulmates. It's slow and there isn't the volume of people outside of London, but it did strike me as more sincere. I paid for GSM but was also on POF and OKCupid.

As it happened I put a broader age range than I thought I wanted and met someone older than i expected. I think he is fabulous and realised age isn't an issue for me.

notmrscookie Sun 03-Apr-16 10:40:46

Beware every man I have meet on pot have lied about there age by at least 5 years so bear that in mind..

TrixieBernadette Sun 03-Apr-16 10:50:15

I met my DP through POF and we've been together nearly three years. We both wanted a relationship but didn't want a paid for site!

None of the guys I met in the 4 years or so of online dating lied about their age. Their height on the other hand....

Patheticfallacy Sun 03-Apr-16 12:34:47

I met my dp through okcupid. I'm 35 and didn't want to date an older man. Dp is 32.

Trills Sun 03-Apr-16 12:44:19

People on free sites don't necessarily "not want a LTR".

happyandsingle Sun 03-Apr-16 13:05:03

But a lot of men on free sites are not so serious they think its free so fuck it might as well try my luck.
If your paying a monthly subscription i would think you are taking things a little bit more seriously.
Seen profiles on pof.....most men cant even be bothered to fill out the about me section....which speaks volumes on how they would be in a relationship.....zero effort.

Trills Sun 03-Apr-16 13:30:36

So you just don't contact those men...

Free sites include:
A - men who you don't want to meet
B - men who would like a relationship if they met the right person but are fine being single so don't want to pay money
C - men who are actively seeking a relationship
(and probably many other categories as well)

Paid sites include A and C but not B.

Come on over to the Dating Thread and you can get lots of perspectives on different sites! smile

Oysterbabe Sun 03-Apr-16 15:21:17

I met my DH on match. He was my third date from there after about 20 from pof.

JollyXmasJumper Sun 03-Apr-16 15:29:07

I get where you are coming from but I would do both paid and free sites. There is a lot more traffic on free sites (especially Tinder), don't exclude this option from the start. It is a numbers game and the more people you get to talk to, the more likely you are to find a decent one who wants a LTR, aka the holy grail. Happy swiping and yes, come join the dating thread!

ohforfoxsake Sun 03-Apr-16 15:41:01

There are those who just say 'hi' I ignore because it tells me they can't be bothered to read my profile and come up with a better opener. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now