Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Key to your home and new partner

(19 Posts)
RedMapleLeaf Wed 30-Mar-16 17:19:00

When would/have you lent a key to a new partner?

When would/have you given a copy of your home key to a new partner?

When did you get one for their home?

smile

sunshinesummer Wed 30-Mar-16 17:22:36

My DH got a key when he moved in with me.

Prior to that, if he was coming over, but there was a chance he could get there before I was home, I'd leave the key under a pot or something.

winchester1 Wed 30-Mar-16 17:28:10

I've lived with my partner 6 yrs we still share 1 key!
We just leave it.out if one will be home before the other but that's pretty rare.

RedMapleLeaf Wed 30-Mar-16 17:31:51

So you hide yours somewhere as well winchester?

honeybunny14 Wed 30-Mar-16 17:47:45

Dp of 7 months comes over and if I'm out with the girls I always leave a key under something for him

goddessofsmallthings Wed 30-Mar-16 17:56:13

I could only envisage sharing a key to my home if I was joined at the hip to the other occupant and I daresay that would lead to arguments as to who should be the keeper of it.

Having a duplicate key cut is a matter of a few minutes and a few quid. Why on earth would anyone fail to spend that very little time and modest sum of money when doing so will ensure that they're not dependent on someone else being home in order to gain entry, and that there's no need to place the property at risk by leaving the one key to it somewhere in the front garden? Furthermore, if a thief gained entry using a 'hidden' key it will invalidate any contents inusrance.

Cabrinha Wed 30-Mar-16 18:21:00

I have him a key at about 3 months. We felt quite serious - and even if not a long term thing, I trusted him. I could change my lock easy enough. He has used it, but tbh it was more given as a gift because I knew it would make him smile.
He gave me a key a month later as I offered to walk his dog when he was at work one day.

Abecedario Wed 30-Mar-16 18:31:19

After about 7 or 8 months, can't remember exactly. It's easier for him to come here straight from work sometimes, and I'm not always home when he arrives. Also he helps out with dog walks and stuff. For the first few months I had issues with him even being in my house (because I'd been a misanthropic old spinster for so long and was really bad at sharing my space) but we both knew pretty early on that this was a keeper so it felt quite natural.

I don't actually have a key to his, it's just occurred to me now. I don't go to his as often because my house is much nicer and when I do its at the weekend when he's home so it hasn't really come up. I've just demanded he correct this grin

TheNaze73 Wed 30-Mar-16 19:16:39

Someone once, gave me a key after a month... WTAF?!! They expected me to reciprocate as well. That ended it for me as you can imagine. Think
It's horses for courses but, about 2-3 years feels right to me

ijustwannadance Wed 30-Mar-16 19:21:47

When we moved in together.

RedMapleLeaf Mon 04-Apr-16 14:27:04

I'm really surprised at how many of you leave keys hidden in your garden!

isseywithcats Mon 04-Apr-16 17:15:23

when we lived in seperate houses and seperate but quite close towns neither of us had a key to each 0thers house as he used to come to mine at a time arranged that i would always be in, when we moved in together 13 months after meeting we got a key each to our shared house, my grown up children have a spare key to my house each

ClashCityRocker Mon 04-Apr-16 17:19:00

Hmm, about six to eight months - mostly for practical reasons (ie I would be stopping round his a particular night but would finish work an hour earlier or vice versa).

It wasn't a big deal really.

Wuffleflump Mon 04-Apr-16 17:36:12

Can't remember, gave him a key pretty early - probably under a year. He was coming around frequently (and cooking for my housemates) so it was less hassle for them than letting him in all the time if I wasn't home yet.

I never got a key to his place. He moved into the house I was living in not long after, so I never needed one.

Tearsoffrustration Mon 04-Apr-16 17:44:10

I got a key after about 4 months

GinThief Mon 04-Apr-16 17:59:34

I gave DP a key to my place after 3 months, mainly due to us working different shift patterns meant he could stay in bed when I left early etc. Likewise if I was working late he could let himself in.

BG2015 Mon 04-Apr-16 18:27:38

After about 8 months or so, just so he wouldn't be sat in his car waiting for me.

It wasn't a big deal. It was actually my 2 teenagers who said "why haven't you let D have a key?"....so I did!

winchester1 Mon 04-Apr-16 21:08:32

We've left a key about 5 times in total and most of those the other person is in but asleep.
I'm not in the UK and getting a spare is more complicated and tbh it so rarely comes up I've not seen the need to. I expect we will at some point in time.

Arfarfanarf Mon 04-Apr-16 21:12:57

The morning after we met.
We got married three months later.

I suspect that the normal timeframe is a bit longer :D

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now