Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Having a hard time making friends

(8 Posts)
CoolToned Wed 23-Mar-16 21:10:39

I know this may sound like I'm being a crybaby or melodramatic, but I'm starting to feel sad I'm having a hard time finding friends in uni.

I'm in a class with around 95% international students, and I'm a domestic. I look (insert nationality here), and have been spoken to by some (same nationality) students but when they found out I wasn't, they moved on to others from the same country.

I know I should exert more effort, etc. It's just kinda hard when everyone seems to be in a group and they speak the same language. The ones who are domestics probably think I'm international!

My course is also kicking my butt and it does not help most of them have undergrads in a similar background as our course and most of the time it feels like I am the only one lost.

Just had to put it out there. Thanks for listening (well, reading).

CocktailQueen Wed 23-Mar-16 21:12:13

What's a domestic?

CoolToned Wed 23-Mar-16 21:15:07

Domestic student - either a citizen or a permanent resident

cheapskatemum Wed 23-Mar-16 22:36:33

Are you in living in a Hall of Residence? Did you join any clubs at Freshers' Week? They are the usual ways of making friends at uni, outside of your course. In my day you had the opportunity to make friends in the various queues - enrolment, doctors etc, but I gather from DS1 that everything's done online nowadays.

Backtoblackcoffee Thu 24-Mar-16 06:20:22

Join a sports team. Or find out if there is any volunteering roles. Both good ways to meet people.chocolate

Abbbinob Thu 24-Mar-16 06:43:45

Look on the student union page and see if there's any society's you'd want to join? My best friend joined lots and made loads of friends

Bree85 Thu 24-Mar-16 13:00:16

Find some students with the same interests with you too. Maybe you can be friends with them when you have lots of common things.

lavenderdoilly Thu 24-Mar-16 13:06:45

Deep breath and join a society that piques your interest. I've been an international student abroad and there can be a wish to stick with people who know what you're about until you find your feet (or for the whole experience). Abroad can be scary. I imagine that's what's happening. Branch out from your course and it might start to feel better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now