Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Speed dating

(5 Posts)
Jollyphonics Tue 22-Mar-16 21:19:13

has anyone done this? Is it just for young people or do people in their 40s and 50s do it? What is it like?

Trills Wed 23-Mar-16 19:28:40

If you're in a big city you may find a speed dating event that is for a specific age range.

I prefer to go to events that have more of an activity involved, e.g. a quiz, or a theme like "speed dating where you talk about your favourite book".

Zaurak Thu 24-Mar-16 05:29:17

I did it once and it was a bit of a farce. There were 30 men/30 women and I was dragged by two friends. Two women on each table, stayed put and the men rotated around. You get a scorecard and you can make notes then tick any man you liked. If they tick you too you swap details. I'd spoken to some of the women beforehand and they were all lovely. Mainly 20s/30s/early 40s.
The men however....
I had a couple of guys sit down and not even ask my name, they just launched into a monologue about themselves. One spent his three minutes in a bitter, spittle flecked rant about how he hated women. One spent the time telling all about how his ex had shafted him by having the temerity to actually insist on the child support the court had ordered. Two spent the entire time talking about football. One was charming enough but my spider senses were screaming 'predator!'
They were a disappointing lot.

Incidentally, predator boy dated my friend for a while and did indeed turn out to be awful. And bitter ex man cornered me on the way out to angrily demand why I hadn't ticked him as a match..,

It was a bit grim to be honest. I'm sure there are events filled with scintillating conversation and honest, interesting men. Just not in Cardiff bay.

FredaMayor Thu 24-Mar-16 08:10:55

I can think of few things better calculated towards disappointment and disillusion than speed dating. There are stories of success, possibly, but for the majority it's bout of mass intimidation that you are having to pay for. Try teaching, at least it's you that will get paid.

TheNaze73 Thu 24-Mar-16 08:12:06

I think it very much depends on the venue & location. A lovely lady who works for me, went to an over 50's event recently. There were 30+ women there & only 4 men.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now