Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Bleeding after orgasm

(13 Posts)
BeefLasagneForMyTea Sun 20-Mar-16 08:04:21

Hi I'm really sorry to post this here but I don't know where else to ask (I haven't been a member long enough for the sex topic)

This is really embarassing and TMI but I'm worried and too embarassed to go to the doctors.

I have PCOS and haven't had a proper period in nearly 12 months but every now and then I have brown discharge for a few days.

I had an orgasm last night and a few minutes later I starting bleeding bright red blood but only when I wiped (nothing went on he san towel I put on). This morning there is a very slight hint of blood when I wipe.

This is where it gets more embarassing. I'm single and find a vibrator extremely painful despite lots of lube. I haven't had sex for 18 months and when I was in a relationship sex hurt sometimes. I'm unable to insert a vibrator the full length as it's so painful. I didn't use a vibrator last night when I bled so it wasn't that which caused bleeding.

Sorry if this isn't the right place to have posted this.

Funko Sun 20-Mar-16 08:16:40

No idea if this will be of any help or not.

Do you use a coil contraception? It not sitting right could cause the bleeding/discomfort.

I'd go and get checked out. Could be something simple. I've recently discovered that I have cervical polyps and waiting for appointment for removal. They are harmless and generally painless but can grow large and can bleed if bumped/irritated. I suspect depending on their position could be obstructive and uncomfortable.
My ex partner had noted he could 'feel' something during sex but I hadn't noticed. It was picked up at my recent smear/coil fitting.

I may be wrong but having pcos may increase the likely hood of polyps, something to do with increased oestrogen or something. Removal is supposed to be simple and painless.

Definitely go get checked out though x

Joysmum Sun 20-Mar-16 08:20:21

I'd go and get it checked out. It could be something very simple and it's important you get checked.

You may be embarrassed about what you've just written but we are all sexual being and the professionals will have dealt with thousands over people over the years, as individual as you are, you won't be anything they've not seen before as that's their job.

Please put your embarrassment to one side and get checked. flowers

MeMySonAndl Sun 20-Mar-16 08:23:17

From what I remember of my PCOS days, I was unreliable in terms of dates but when I had my period it was abundant and painful, so such small level of spotting over such long time might be due to other factors like menopause or malnutrition (you can stop having periods if your body is getting far too little food).

But none of that account for the pain,you need to go to the GP. If you were stabbing yourself with the vibrator I would imagine there would be some blood afterwards, but I don't expect you are, are you?

Have it checked, there may be other factors at play. When did you have your last smear?

Funko Sun 20-Mar-16 08:23:26

Just to add, don't be embarrassed. Google your nearest sexual health clinic and make an appointment directly with them rather than gp. They are the experts and will do you a full 'Mot' so to speak, smear, Sti tests etc just to rule everything out and put your mind at rest.
Best to get sorted than spend endless time worrying

99percentchocolate Sun 20-Mar-16 08:24:50

I'd definitely book in to get it checked out - it could be nothing but in case it's something that could get painful later it would be good to get it sorted now.
Hope you feel better soon flowers

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 20-Mar-16 08:30:58

I was diagnosed with PCOS some years back as well.

Please put your embarrassment to one side and go and see the GP: they have seen all this before and you have really nothing at all to be embarrassed about.

I would suggest you keep a daily pain/symptom diary if you do not already do so as this can also be helpful to the doctor.

Brown discharge is "old" blood and such bleeding should always be checked out further. You mention that sex hurt sometimes; deep pain during sex can be indicative of endometriosis being present so you need to be seen.

Let us know how you get on.

laurag16xxx Sun 20-Mar-16 08:35:09

Like others have said get it checked out.
Don't be embarrassed we all do the same thing.
Could it not be a period?
I know you say you haven't had one for a while but you never know

BeefLasagneForMyTea Sun 20-Mar-16 09:07:13

Thank you for your kind words.

I'm not on any contraception. I thought it was start of period but it was only tissues worth nothing else and this morning there was a slight hint of blood but now there is nothing.

I will get myself checked out.

Thymeout Sun 20-Mar-16 09:35:49

You're doing the right thing. It's probably nothing serious, but unusual bleeding should always be investigated. It's the gyne equivalent of a breast lump. You wouldn't ignore that. Nine out of ten breast lumps are harmless cysts, but doctors always refer them for expert evaluation.

As pp's have said, it's probably a polyp, but you need to find out for sure. And sex shouldn't be painful.

Morasssassafras Sun 20-Mar-16 10:04:02

I've had that, except I wasn't using anything penetrative so it literally was bleeding after orgasms. Saw my gp, for that plus heavy painful periods. She didn't really give me an answer but rang when I got home as she'd carried on mentally processing and booked me in for a scan quite quickly. My scan showed something unusual apparently and things moved far too quickly after that but the outcome was endometriosis. I know endo causes painful sex for some women and there's seem to be a lot of patients who also have pcos so I'd say it's definitely worth being your own advocate at this point and doing some research and then ask gp to refer to gynaecologist, unless you have a gynaecologist already that might see you.

I know the embarrassment factor can be huge but it's one of those times you have to go through it. if you think it might help then write it, and any other symptoms down and hand to gp.

smilingeyes79 Sun 20-Mar-16 10:52:18

I have PSOC and have had major abnormal cervical cells requiring treatment. Getting checked out is the best way of avoiding anything serious or having it treated really early if it is ... its midly embarrassing but once your there and have said it you'll be ok I promise.
If you don't want to see a dr book in with a nurse for a smear and talk it through then. C

EdithWeston Sun 20-Mar-16 10:55:50

Another voice saying get it checked.

And another possibility is that it is cervical polyps, which are almost invariably benign and painless to remove.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now