Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Domestic Abuse from the outside - what to do?

(2 Posts)
chairfrog Sat 19-Mar-16 17:30:16

I'm asking this on behalf of a colleague who has asked my advice. A friend of hers has an abusive partner. A while ago he threw her out of their/his flat (I overheard the phone conversation when this happened which is why she has now confided in me) but they then made up.

Her group of girlfriends don't like him and are wary. The last time they went out together (the group of friends), her phone was on the table and he was constantly calling and texting - it bothered them (she ignored it). The friends are worried, but are not sure if there is anything they can actually do. Hence asking an older woman. I (and I thank God for this) have no personal experience, either directly or indirectly, but I am a long time mumsnetter so knew where to ask.

At the moment it seems they are trying to keep lines of communication open, but do not get the feeling that she sees anything as wrong. Their question is - what is the best thing to do in this situation when you suspect something is deeply wrong in another's relationship?

Obviously I am not party to the relationship and know very little of the detail, but I would like to support these women. I have passed on details of Women's Aid. What would you do/what have you done/what would you have liked someone to have done?

TragicallyUnbeyachted Sun 20-Mar-16 22:49:01

Reducing the Risk has a page on what friends and family can do if they think someone is experiencing domestic abuse -- also, importantly, what not to do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now