Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Do you know any family dynasties?

(18 Posts)
FrancisdeSales Sun 13-Mar-16 20:42:12

Rather than families struggling and relationships failing, do you know any families who grow and thrive across the generations? Are they connected by culture, religion or business? Why do you believe they succeed?

peaceoftheaction Sun 13-Mar-16 21:16:13

confused

NorksAreMessy Sun 13-Mar-16 21:21:22

Like the Starkadders, do you mean?
hmm

MadeMan Sun 13-Mar-16 21:23:29

There's a Dynasty Chinese Takeaway in Sutton.

FrancisdeSales Sun 13-Mar-16 21:32:59

Well there are definitely some well known families in my part of the world, this was not meant as a jokey question. Are the only dynasties in the UK by definition wealthy such as the Goldsmiths?

Marchate Mon 14-Mar-16 08:45:14

The Windsors? Their business is doing well but I can't vouch for their relationships...

MatildaTheCat Mon 14-Mar-16 09:08:49

Have you actually looked at the Goldsmiths relationship history OP? I don't believe you would file it under the Successful and Stable category. Rich, yes.

Can you explain what you mean and why you are asking?

CrossfireHurricane Mon 14-Mar-16 09:17:31

The Brend family in Devon has done well from humble beginnings and I think they are all encouraged to work hard and do the best they can down through the generations.
Is that what you mean?

Pantone363 Mon 14-Mar-16 09:21:18

We have some notorious families here. I wouldn't say dynasty though. More criminal!

Pantone363 Mon 14-Mar-16 09:23:15

DS is friends with one of the DC. He is delightful, polite and comes over for a play date every so often.

SurelyYoureJokingMrFeynman Mon 14-Mar-16 09:58:53

I do family history, so literally the research of dynasties. Some families are very poor, some very wealthy (surprise surprise, money tends to run in the family).

I can't see anything to suggest happy relationships correlate with wealth/poverty (although obviously poverty creates pressures).

Can you refine your question? Are you using "dynasty" to mean financially successful family?

SurelyYoureJokingMrFeynman Mon 14-Mar-16 10:29:29

Eg I can think of a family which started in business in the 1830s, right place right time and the founder very good at what he did.

The business survived over 100 years, into the third generation, making an increasingly comfortable living for members of the family.

They were pillars of the community, heavily involved in church and civil society.

There's just the little matter of the son who was disinherited, and whose orphaned children were taken in by his much poorer wife's family when Disinherited Son and wife died young. And when one of those children herself died leaving small children, her children were packed off to an orphanage - just down the road from their athletic young Edwardian cousins, heroes of the tennis club and Sunday School.

The impoverished side survived WWI intact and those who also survived the poverty-related disease went on to thrive, while the wealthy side lost quite a few in the War and died out completely in the 1950s.

SurelyYoureJokingMrFeynman Mon 14-Mar-16 10:30:10

I'm sure that sort of story is repeated endlessly. Clogs to clogs in three generations, as they say.

IdaJones Mon 14-Mar-16 10:38:25

Acting dynasties? Eg. The Cusacks, Redgraves, Coppolas

Pantone363 Mon 14-Mar-16 12:09:29

I often wonder with the criminal ones at which point the children are introduced to the business side of the family.

Well son we're the biggest coke dealers in the SE. Would you like to be area manager for Essex? Or perhaps henchman takes your fancy?

Yoksha Mon 14-Mar-16 12:34:29

5th generation criminal dynasties still operating in the sink estate I grew up on in Edinburgh. Just recently the police were on the radio expressing disdain at matters.

CheersMedea Mon 14-Mar-16 12:50:21

It's very common in the professions - grandfather consultant cardiologist, father consultant surgeon, son consultant cardiologist. Plenty in accountancy and law. Also acting dynasties are common.

All the ones I know are united by their job actually.

Mrsmorton Mon 14-Mar-16 12:58:37

The Timpsons seem to be pretty remarkable... there was an article on the radio about them recently talking about how many children they had fostered (I think although my memory is pretty bad of late).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now