Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Is online dating really so pathetic?

(10 Posts)
Tryingtobenicexxx Fri 11-Mar-16 12:35:37

Basically I've started online dating because I struggle to meet men any other way.
In pubs they just after one thing well the majority are plus it's too noisy etc.
I started online dating and told a friend who's response was that's pathetic I wouldn't ever go on those sites...but here is the funny thing she met her boyfriend on a poker chat room and he lives in America so how is that any different?
She claims as they both weren't looking for love it just happened online it's different.

To me it's the same it's still online and your not sure who the person is.
She then flew to America to meet him.
Is it all so bad?

Vonnie2016 Fri 11-Mar-16 12:50:36

I would say she isn't a great friend if she is going to say what you are doing is 'pathetic.'
I suppose OLD can be hit and miss, but I know people who have met long term partners and husbands on there.
Go for it, pathetic would be feeling sorry for yourself and hiding away, you are putting yourself out there to meet new people nothing pathetic about that.
And as far as your friend meeting someone online, pot...kettle and black springs to mind.
smile

Tryingtobenicexxx Fri 11-Mar-16 13:37:16

Thanks ..so far I have only been talking weirdos but I'm hoping someone normal comes along shortlywink

Cabrinha Fri 11-Mar-16 13:37:39

Good lord, it's actually funny that someone who met an overseas "boyfriend" on line could call it pathetic!

OLD isn't for everyone but it's boringly mainstream as a method for meeting new people.

Your friend is: out of touch, weird, unkind.

I'm probably as bad as her though, laughing at the idea that this Poker Yank is true love wink

Tryingtobenicexxx Fri 11-Mar-16 13:45:57

Apparently they know each other inside out because they talk every night via webcam.
Who know eh.
At least I'm meeting guys within a 10 mile radius wink

Cabrinha Fri 11-Mar-16 13:58:25

Yeah, I'm still laughing at her.
Seriously, she isn't very kind to call it - and therefore you - pathetic. Tell her so.

And good luck!

Plenty of idiots out there - keep your wits about you and grow your skin thick. But I met by fiancé via Match. Happens grin

Claraoswald36 Fri 11-Mar-16 14:11:32

Your mate is deluded

johnlegnd Fri 11-Mar-16 14:36:33

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

ohforfoxsake Fri 11-Mar-16 17:41:24

It's the way forward. I know loads if couples who have met via OLD (myself included). She's talking bollocks.

Bree85 Fri 11-Mar-16 18:32:32

She is eating her own words. Maybe she was really in love with the guy. Just don't want to admit it because of what she said to you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now