Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Need advice on seperation

(6 Posts)
giganticpants Wed 09-Mar-16 11:58:36

Right I am trying to leave my husband and need advice / support. He is in complete denial and is pretending it's not happening!

I have just booked and paid for a 45 min question and answer session at solicitors so first step made kind of.

Don't think I will be entitled to legal aid at all. He broke my finger about 5 years ago in an argument but other than that no other evidence. Also I possibly have too much cash in the bank.

The finger incident was logged at hospital but no where else other than a lady from the children's centre coming to see me each week for 6 weeks.

Really not sure what I am doing any advice would be great.

goddessofsmallthings Wed 09-Mar-16 16:52:24

As the finger incident was such a long time and wasn't logged with the police it's highly unlikely that, even if your savings were below the threshold, you'll be eligible for legal aid.

How long have you been married? Do you rent or own your home and do you have dc?

Summerlovinf Wed 09-Mar-16 17:16:09

Are you citing unreasonable behaviour?

giganticpants Wed 09-Mar-16 22:16:21

Own house, together for 20 years married 10 years. Will have to go unreasonable behaviour route as will not be able to seperate anything easily. Three children one with sen. No family of my own nearby.

He keeps trying to pretend nothing is happening. He is in complete denial of the whole situation. I have had enough!

HeddaGarbled Wed 09-Mar-16 22:44:36

This is going to be OK. Solicitor will guide you on next steps and what the likely financial split will be. Then you can do a lot of the divorce process form filling yourself without needing to pay solicitors for every step so the legal aid/no legal aid thing doesn't matter.

He can pretend it isn't happening as much as he likes but he can't stop you divorcing him as the solicitor will confirm when you see them.

Summerlovinf Thu 10-Mar-16 10:35:28

Agree with PP...it doesn't matter if he denies it...you can file for divorce anyway. Your solicitor knows what to do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now