Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

People pleasing self help books

(6 Posts)
Tuliptime Mon 07-Mar-16 21:43:39

Hi, can anybody please recommend some reading materials around people pleasing? Developing assertiveness, how to spot when you're being manipulated, that sort of thing? Counselling is helping me to understand this is a major area for me but my counsellor is now away for a month and I wanted to crack on and do some reading. However I can't afford to waste money on books that are no good so any recommendations gratefully received. Thanks

Tuliptime Tue 08-Mar-16 07:32:58

Anyone? Or building self esteem? Thanks

pablothepenguin Tue 08-Mar-16 12:24:56

Bumping for you. I've been thinking a lot about self esteem, reading recommendations would be useful.

ficklefuck Tue 08-Mar-16 12:28:10

I would recommend Nice Girl Syndrome. It helped me to understand why I wanted people to like me so much that I was willing to be trampled all over. It also gives practical advice on how to overcome it. Some of the stuff in there, I read open-mouthed, I felt it was written about me

Tuliptime Tue 08-Mar-16 15:59:26

Thank you fickle (and Pablo for bumping), sounds absolutely perfect for what I'm after. Ordering forthwith!

ficklefuck Tue 08-Mar-16 16:17:15

No problem Tulip, I hope it is as useful to you as it was for me.

Not sure if this is the type of thing you are interested in, but I have just finished reading The Gift of Fear - its more about fear and anxiety and how to spot and predict violent and stalkerish behaviour. Probably not what you are looking for but thought I would recommend it as I found it really useful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now