Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

'Dumping' a friend

(2 Posts)
munkynutts Fri 12-Feb-16 16:53:35

I know people on here have had this happen to them so please don't flame me.

I was friends with her for a year. It was kind of a friendship of circumstance, we were housemates. She's a really nice girl but we really don't have anything in common whatsoever. Completely different people with completely different priorities. Sometimes she would ever so slightly do that thing that some women do where they try and subtly put you down, which made me feel a bit bad about myself. She also watched me struggle to organise moving when I had to leave out house, although she wasn't working the day of my move and she has a car. I don't want to sound entitled but I sort of did expect her to offer to help out as I was going mad the weeks before trying to organise it (am broke).

Other than that like I say she's a sweet woman but, and I know this sounds mean and patronising, I don't find her interesting to be around or talk to (I know that sounds terrible). We were housemates so watched stuff together, cooked etc, but since I moved out 6 months ago we have barely spoken to each other - and that's my fault. I keep avoiding it. Now sue says she wants to come and visit (am in town half an hour away).

What do I do? I don't want to be a bitch and keep making her feel ignored. Bit I don't really want her to come. How do you dump a friend?

redexpat Fri 12-Feb-16 16:58:12

Im really busy for the next couple of months, can I hve a think about dates and get back to you? Then dont. Cowardly, but it might do the trick.

Friendships last for a reason, season, lifetime. This one was for a reason.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now