Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Leap Year Proposals

(15 Posts)
VibeLover Fri 12-Feb-16 09:19:24

Any ladies planning on proposing to their partners this month?

I would love to, but am a bit of a traditionalist and would prefer he did, although I think that is unlikely hmm

Would love to hear from anyone who has a plan in place.

LineyReborn Fri 12-Feb-16 09:23:00

No I'm not. What a daft 'thing' this is.

Why don't you think your partner wants to marry you? Is marriage something you want / in your best interests? If you've been together a long time then you should be on the same page really on this stuff.

goodnightdarthvader1 Fri 12-Feb-16 09:25:56

FOR GOD'S SAKE IT'S 2016 NOT 1950, JUST PROPOSE WHENEVER!

<ahem>

Now I've got that out of my system: I proposed on a leap year, but it was pure coincidence. I've always been pretty anti-marriage, so rather than my DH humiliating himself by asking and being turned down, we agreed if the urge to get married struck, I would do the asking. I would have proposed whatever year it had been.

This will out me to anyone who knows me, but I took him quad biking, then presented him with a silver Lego brick engraved with "will you marry me?" on it (we're Lego fans and our wedding was Lego themed). As it turned out, he was planning to propose to me that afternoon but couldn't find a nearby oast house (I love oast houses and he wanted to pop the question in one). He had bought the Lego bride and groom set to use as his proposal object since he didn't know what kind of ring I wanted. I love that goof.

VibeLover Fri 12-Feb-16 09:33:28

That's a lovely story goodnightdarthvador1

It shows lots of thought on both your part.

goodnightdarthvader1 Fri 12-Feb-16 09:39:26

Thanks Vibe. As a pp said, make sure you're on the same page. If you think he just wouldn't want to ask, rather than "he doesn't want to be married" then go for it. Pick a mutual interest and build it around that.

Good luck! (And come back to let us know how it goes grin )

startrek90 Fri 12-Feb-16 16:10:38

You can propose whenever. Don't wait for him.

I was going to propose to my dh but he beat me to it wink there was no pomp and fanfare (just like our wedding). I was going to take him for a walk to the local castle (we love it there) and ask.

Cabrinha Fri 12-Feb-16 16:17:31

Yeah, just ask.
I was a bit disappointed that my boyfriend got in first envy
I should never have told him I nearly did. Sneaky bugger.
Still - at least we both want to grin

FluffyPersian Fri 12-Feb-16 16:40:06

My boyfriend always knew I wanted to be the one to propose.

I refuse to be told I'm 'allowed' to propose on 29th February due to some kind of weird (stupid) social convention.. therefore he always said he knew the 1 day of the year I wouldn't propose, would be the 29th Feb.

I got a ring.. asked for his Mothers blessing and got down on one knee last boxing day.

He wears his engagement ring every day.. and I don't have one grin - Complete role reversal... absolutely love it and very, very happy.

Some people express surprise, but hey... if it's 'acceptable' the other way round (engagement ring for the woman and asking the Fathers permission)... I don't see why it's odd / bad / wrong to flip things round smile

blindsider Fri 12-Feb-16 17:27:26

Fluffy

I will readily admit that there is no reason why it should, but a chap wearing an engagement ring sounds dodgy to me /Neanderthal mode blush

SmillasSenseOfSnow Fri 12-Feb-16 17:49:22

I will readily admit that there is no reason why it should, but a chap wearing an engagement ring sounds dodgy to me

There are countries where it is entirely the norm. My DP has one just as I do (neither of us wear them anymore since we lost weight and they became too loose, but that's another matter...).

Joysmum Fri 12-Feb-16 17:58:09

I proposed to my now DH in a leap year but not on the prescribed day. I'm a liberated woman and not into all that.

My proposal wasn't romantic in the least. We'd had a sinking argument and were laid on sofas on opposite sides of the living room. I was so angry with him and when I glanced over, as angry as I was I knew I never wanted to be without him. So I went over, got in one knee and just asked him.

I figured that if that's the way I felt after a blazing row it'd all come good.

I'm still a massive believe now in that relationships should be judged on how they are when things are at their worst, not their best.

FluffyPersian Fri 12-Feb-16 22:11:41

blindsider

Each to their own grin

To me, I find it a bit shit that women have a ring on their finger when engaged, showing they're 'taken'.. yet traditionally the men don't. I really don't get couples, where the wife wears a wedding ring and the guy doesn't - it seems really unequal to me, personally, but again - live and let live! smile

The 'engagement ring' is basically a wedding ring made of tungsten, not a female looking ring, but either way.... I quite like the fact he's happy to make a statement to the world on his finger - especially considering he doesn't and hasn't ever worn any type of jewellery before.

ImperialBlether Fri 12-Feb-16 22:15:47

I wouldn't propose to anyone that I thought wouldn't propose to me!

EElisavetaOfBelsornia Fri 12-Feb-16 22:20:40

I did, 8 years ago. DH had proposed to me really badly, and I wanted to show low it's done grin

Make sure you wear a red petticoat or it doesn't count.

postmanpatscat Sat 27-Feb-16 19:17:20

Why a red petticoat?!

I'm doing this on Monday smile We've been together over 5 years and lived together for 3+, we're getting on a bit and have both been married before. We've talked about getting married and he says he won't ask me. I know why, it's because when we first discussed it I said I didn't see the point. Now the time has come, and I DO see the point!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now