Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Any armchair psychologists around? Why do I love it when

(19 Posts)
SizeQueen Wed 27-Jan-16 13:39:24

my SO calls me 'kid'?

He's 8 years older than me but I'm in my 30's and sadly clearly not a kid anymore. Yet when he says it I positively melt inside.

What's that all about?

ImperialBlether Wed 27-Jan-16 13:40:49

Were you very close to your father or brother who used the same expression?

spankhurst Wed 27-Jan-16 13:42:36

It makes you feel cherished and that he wants to look after you?

CheersMedea Wed 27-Jan-16 13:56:15

It's most likely because for some subconscious reason you aren't aware of, the word "kid" has a very positive association for you.

It maybe because it is something you read in a book as a young child and have forgotten, it maybe because you saw it in a film, it maybe because a person you loved admired called you this.

It maybe because the first time your current SO said it to you it was in a context that has very strong and firm embedded positive associations (first feelings of love).

It maybe because it isn't actually about the word "kid" but something else associated with it that produces the same effect (fear of aging and subconsciously associated with youth) OR subconsciously promotes a pupil/teacher or older wiser man/younger protected you dynamic.

Next time you are going to sleep, do some relaxation exercises (google) and then let your mind wander back to the first time you ever heard the word (you probably won't remember but don't let that stop you) just mentally explore the word and its associations and you may find your answer.

ZaZathecat Wed 27-Jan-16 14:09:33

Makes you feel young I guess.

Offred Wed 27-Jan-16 14:23:47

Do you always over analyse every little thing? Why can't you just enjoy something you enjoy? confused

BewitchedBotheredandBewildered Wed 27-Jan-16 14:54:57

'Cos it makes you feel like Ingrid Bergman in Casablanca?

ALaughAMinute Wed 27-Jan-16 15:08:23

It's a term of endearment that makes you feel protected.

EthelMercaptan Wed 27-Jan-16 15:20:45

I don't know, it sounds like a matey thing to me. Could that be it? In a similar vein my DH sometimes calls me dude, which has the same effect on me, whereas once he called me princess as a joke and I nearly puked. grin

ThisIsStillFolkGirl Wed 27-Jan-16 19:21:10

Don't know bit I'd hate it! I don't even refer to children as kids. Ever!

ThisIsStillFolkGirl Wed 27-Jan-16 19:22:21

But I don't think you need to overanalyse. It's a term of endearment that you associate with him. That's it.

AnyFucker Wed 27-Jan-16 19:23:10

he is saying "skid" actually and you should LTB

[wink}

AnyFucker Wed 27-Jan-16 19:23:19

wink

PirateSmile Wed 27-Jan-16 19:24:06

My ddad and his brothers used to always refer to each other as kid. It was once very widely used but you don't much hear it these days.
My ddad and his brothers had a very difficult upbringing and I thought it was beautiful that they referred to one another in such a familial way.

AnyFucker Wed 27-Jan-16 19:25:32

my DH calls his brother "our kid"

it's his Manc upbringing

mineofuselessinformation Wed 27-Jan-16 19:29:03

It nearly brought me to tears some months back when a colleague said to me 'are y'alright, gal?'
I only ever hear it when my DF says it to my DM.

Fourormore Wed 27-Jan-16 19:32:19

Why do you think you like it, OP? Do you have any sense of what it's about?

AnyFucker Wed 27-Jan-16 19:46:37

I like it when Dh calls me a diminutive of my name

Daenerys2 Wed 27-Jan-16 19:54:14

My boss calls me 'kid' and 'girl'. I'm nearly 40 and the head of a core subject in a comprehensive school. I should be irritated but I think it comes from a good place...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now