Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Reconciling after a decade or so of NC - your stories please?

(4 Posts)
Lottielillie Mon 18-Jan-16 20:38:54

My back story: www.mumsnet.com/Talk/relationships/2543192-NC-15yrs-Do-I-open-this-letter

I've been thinking about my new recent situation on & off and I'd be interested to hear, has anyone successfully rekindled a long-term NC relationship & how did the reconciliation happen? Pondering my own predicament, I can't imagine it coming about by writing letters much less phone calls or face-to-face. I've no idea how it might work, or even if I actually want it to. But for now, I'm considering how it has happened for others. Please tell me how your situations unravelled?

PollyPocket100 Mon 18-Jan-16 20:49:22

Tough one, it's such a personal decision.

After being NC with my Mother for around 7 years she apologised profusely and requested a second chance. Worst mistake I ever made. Had to get the police involved and move house in the end to escape her harassment.

Definitely not a 'one size fits' all situation. I'm sure lots of others have had far more positive experiences! What's your gut instinct?

Lottielillie Mon 18-Jan-16 20:59:59

My gut instinct? I have no idea. I totally made peace with myself that if she died & I never heard/knew or if I did find out, that I'd be ok with it. It wasn't a knee-jerk reaction, it had been brewing for years. I'd love to have a loving caring mum but I've had to be my own mum for most of my life. I have to think carefully, I might not get this chance again. I wonder whether she's sneakily in touch with my dc's through FB or something & they're not telling me? I'd love to understand how people have managed to overcome this?

PollyPocket100 Mon 18-Jan-16 21:06:28

Going by your last post OP I'd say stay as you are. Sounds like you're happy with your decision and have no regrets.

I hope someone with a more positive experience comes along to answer your question! Best of luck whatever you decide smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now