Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Would this annoy you?

(9 Posts)
Dinobab Sun 10-Jan-16 12:42:52

DS (2 yo) has a habbit of either night waking. At 1am and 3am. Or waking up ridiculously early at 4:30am so we've been basically taking it in turns to do the nights and take it in turns for lie ins when we are both at home. (I have uni, dp has work 3 days a week)
However whenever it is his turn he basically waits until I get up at 7/8ish he then goes back to sleep till 12
And when it's my turn, he gets up at maybe 10ish, then complains how tired he is and spends the day half asleep on the sofa because we woke him up.
He actually got annoyed at me the other day because I was up with DS sincr 3am the night before and DS woke up the following night at 2 and he wanted me to go and settle him and I didn't think that was fair.
When its his turn he leaves DS to cry for ages, which then makes him a lot harder to get back to sleep.
I've been up with DS since 4 this morning and yet because DS eoke him up at 7 by going in the bed room, he is now fast asleep on the sofa.
Even though I feel like crap and told him I feel really I'll and achey and tired and crampy (I think I have an infection or something) he responded by saying he was really tired then just going to sleep.

It just seems like he thinks he needs to sleep all day like a teenager regardless of who did the night waking business or the early morning.
I don't even know why it annoys me it just seems so lazy, surely grown men don't need 12+ hours of sleep? We never do anything as a family because all he wants to do it sleep.

Not to mention the times he gets up with DS then just goes back to sleep leaving DS go roam around the flat until I realise wtf is going on.

KramerVSKramer Sun 10-Jan-16 13:58:15

What a lazy twat. He's not taking his night time parental duties very seriously is he.

You say he works three days. Is that part time or full time hours?

What would he be like if it was work 5 days.

Threefishys Sun 10-Jan-16 13:59:45

Its horrendous for all parents when a child disturbs every single nights sleep - I know - my daughter was 11 yes 11!!! Before she had a full nights sleep! On disturbed sleep everyone is tetchy snappy and knackered and grabbing sleep when they can. Your issue is as old as time. Yes I'd be annoyed but then I'd be (and have been) perpetually annoyed because I'm bloody knackered. Im sure you both feel like you're on a treadmill. No advice really apart from try to rationalise that you're both shattered and both equally having your nights dictated to and so the blame game won't help only negotiating, united front and communication .

RealityCheque Sun 10-Jan-16 15:00:42

Address the night waking. He is two years old, not two months old ffs.

Ruddygreattiger2016 Sun 10-Jan-16 15:04:31

Yes, that would annoy the hell out of me, what a lazy arsehole 😠

Dinobab Sun 10-Jan-16 15:20:56

Reality cheque- I am addressing it, it only started aaftet he had a lot of illnesses lose together which ended up messing up his sleeping because he got used to waking up and being up in the night.
What exactly do you want me to do? Were getting up in the night to put him back in bed, if we ignores him he'd climb his stairgate and roam around unnatended, but part of dealing with the night waking involves us having to get up ourselves to put him back to bed, usually multiple times and with a tantrum but other than sedate him, there's not muchican do instantly about the actual waking hmm

ylimintin Sun 10-Jan-16 15:59:39

Reality that was needlessly snarky

ylimintin Sun 10-Jan-16 16:03:55

I think your DP is a bit lazy OP. Have you had a chat about it? Try and pick a time when your not both knackered and snappy. Tell him you're in this together and you feel like you need more support from him.

Dinobab Sun 10-Jan-16 21:39:35

Threefishys you're right we're both knackered and I think I'm more annoyed just because I'm so tired all the time, and when you're tired, the sight of someone sleeping when you're exhausted can easily piss you off.
I think he isn't meaning to do it, he does help out and stuff I think the problem is just that he's tired and not really noticing that I'm tired too.
Just going to try and sort out DS sleeping habits and leave it and not cause an argument over it I think

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now