Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Would you have felt intimidated / threatened by this?

(12 Posts)
SpeedyNC Wed 06-Jan-16 13:16:37

Have namechanged.

On NYE I received a series of texts from an ex. They started off in rather a sarky tone, which I felt uncomfortable about, but then went on to say that he felt he was "owed" something (he actually referred to himself in the 3rd person which was bizarre). Then he started telling me he was listening to a heavy metal track which has the first 4 lines (I didn't have a clue - had to look it up):

"I'm rolling thunder pouring rain
I'm coming on like a hurricane
My lightning's flashing across the sky
You're only young but you're gonna die"

It's AC/DC and it continues along in this vein with references to hell, satan, etc. He carried on texting other similar song names to me although wouldn't answer any of my questions or engage in any kind of conversation. This went on until about 4am although at a certain point I turned my phone off and went to bed.

In terms of back story, we split up last summer at his instigation, although the ending was rather confused because he just disappeared on me, and we hadn't spoken since then. I had (stupidly) e-mailed him just before Christmas to say I hoped he was OK and wish him Happy Christmas etc. AFAIK he was not a heavy metal fan - he never seemed to be very interested in any particular genre of music.

Initially my reaction was just sort of "ignore & delete" but last night I could not get it off my mind. I had a bad dream and woke up terrified someone was in the house. He lives far enough away to be very unlikely to ever appear, but I don't know if I should consider this just as (possibly drunken) nastiness or something I should be concerned about.

pocketsaviour Wed 06-Jan-16 13:28:07

I would find it creepy and inappropriate, but I don't think as there's no overt threats or abuse that the police would be interested.

Do you think he was drinking heavily or taking drugs?

SpeedyNC Wed 06-Jan-16 15:23:37

Yes it could have been I suppose although I never knew him as a drinker really - couple of beers maybe - and no suggestion of drugs when we were together. But we only saw each other at weekends.

I wonder if MH issues too.

I wasn't thinking of taking it further but I'm really annoyed it's got to me.

Diggum Wed 06-Jan-16 15:29:18

This may be way off, I don't know the guy at all, but I'd say he was either on something or is displaying some symptoms of psychosis.

The gist of the messages were just too weird and disjointed. And the ending of your relationship seems a bit, well, odd.

Do you have any mutual friends or know any of his family you could flag some concerns to? I think you'd be best off not contacting him directly again given that your relationship is over (however that may have come about).

RedMapleLeaf Wed 06-Jan-16 15:35:21

How many texts did he send and how many did you send?

flippinada Wed 06-Jan-16 16:10:53

That sounds unpleasant. I've had experience of similar (ex who used to do weird ranty texts). It's unsettling and unpleasant. If you are genuinely concerned over his mental health then flag it up to someone but don't get involved otherwise.

Obviously, if you believe it to be a threat then

Honestly, I would tell him clearly to stop contacting you then block and delete. He's not your problem and life is too short for this nonsense.

If hours behaviour escalates, I would involve the police.

flippinada Wed 06-Jan-16 16:12:14

*his behaviour

Smorgasboard Wed 06-Jan-16 17:19:37

No more sending emails to ask if he's ok. Just block him.
Incidentally, AC/DC would be rock music genre as opposed to heavy metal, quite mainstream really and not that sinister.

bjrce Wed 06-Jan-16 17:36:24

Op. He sounds unhinged tbh!

The manner in which he broke up with you and then the volume of texts and what he sent you.
I think it would be a very bad idea to contact him in any way shape or form going forward.
I agree with a pp who says delete and block his number. Try not to worry too much about him. If he contacts you again, then its time to call the police.

SpeedyNC Wed 06-Jan-16 17:46:26

Red just done a tally, he sent 13 I sent 5. My last one was just to say I didn't understand what he was talking about and that was at 1.45ish - his last one was at 4.

No, I've no intention of contacting him again. I don't know any of his family and although there are one or two people who we know in common, I'm not sure if any of them have heard from him either since the summer, because they knew what happened then and found it odd.

So I'm not sure there is anyone I can flag it up to, really.

It's good to run this kind of thing past other people, though, thank you flowers

flippinada Wed 06-Jan-16 18:00:32

I understand, sometimes you just need to check with others when something just doesn't feel right. Please don't worry about flagging anything up to anyone. You sound lovely and kind but honestly, it isn't your responsibility.

Remember you didn't do anything wrong, but he did.

Definitely do block him on your phone/social media. If you're a nice person you may feel this is unkind or rude but it really isn't.

shihtzumamma Thu 07-Jan-16 12:50:30

I wouldn't block him do not reply to him or text him at all but I would save his texts. He doesn't sound stable and you may need them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now