Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

"Ghosted" after 5 years together - disappeared on Boxing Day.....

(73 Posts)
glx Wed 30-Dec-15 21:43:53

We've been together nearly 5 years - we're not the perfect couple, but we get along. His kids are 18, my son's 12 - they get on really well together and the kids get on well with both of us. He's a real loner - very successful but no social circle, so especially now his are off at uni it can feel a bit suffocating.

Anyway, I invite him to ours for Christmas Day, bought him and his children nice presents, cooked, made it really nice for him, he said he'd had a lovely time.

I've been wondering if we needed to chat abt where we are etc, but thought could wait. Boxing Day morning, I get up to start clearing up - think he had other plans for the early morning - anyway, he storms down past me and my son at 8.30am, not seen or heard from him since.

He has form, he's done extended sulks before, but at Christmas??? I'm torn between never contacting him again or ringing to say what the hell are you doing....but I know I can never take him back can I ? How can I stay with someone who I know there's a good chance will disappear at some point, if not this time, another time. I always go back, I always cajole, stat it up again, but what's the point.... No-one can possibly care at alllllll if that's how they treat me and my son??

I wish I knew what to think.....

RealityCheque Wed 30-Dec-15 21:53:28

He sounds like he has mental issues. This is not normal behaviour.

glx Wed 30-Dec-15 21:59:26

He's quite quiet, when he's nice, he's nice. When he 's cross with me (sometimes I've done something, this time nothing really) he does have a tendency to do this going quiet thing. I try to take the view that no-one's perfect, but this is too much this time. Plus my son's dad walked out on us 4 years ago, disappeared without trace then took me to court over summer for my son (lost), but stressful all the same. More angry at him doing this to him than to me

ArkATerre Wed 30-Dec-15 22:03:41

He's a waste of space and you're better off out of it.

glx Wed 30-Dec-15 22:08:24

Guess so. Feel like he was my last chance. I'm 47, like home life, don't want to be out dating and going away at weekends etc, even if I ever met anyone, I want to be at home looking after my boy, cooking dinner on a sat night. Not up for going out finding someone new. Guess that's that

NorksAreMessy Wed 30-Dec-15 22:10:24

So, reading between the lines, he wanted sex on Boxing Day morning, and was cross because you got up early to tidy up, so threw away five years in a huff?
He has form for extended sulks?
And then he waits for you to make it all better?

Time to get all aloof and dignified and grateful.

monkina Wed 30-Dec-15 22:10:49

You say he's sulked before?....what are the triggers for these sulks?....do you know why he left without saying goodbye on boxing day?...

NorksAreMessy Wed 30-Dec-15 22:11:20

Just because THIS man is a Wankbadger, it doesn't mean they all are

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Wed 30-Dec-15 22:12:59

Of course he's not your last chance!

ArkATerre Wed 30-Dec-15 22:13:37

Is it buggery your last chance.

BeyonceRiRiMadonnna Wed 30-Dec-15 22:14:02

So you went bed Christmas night and you wake up clearing up and he just wakes up and storms past? I'm not excusing his behaviour but between going to sleep and waking up what was said/done? Just so weird!!

glx Wed 30-Dec-15 22:14:36

Previous poster was spot on - I got up early, wasn't up for it - so I guess I serve no purpose

Triggers for sulks - all sorts, once when I was super stressed and cried and shouted a lot (court hearing over my son), sometimes me just not being available, all sorts really - the one after I lost it after court straddled my birthday, so he's screwed birthday new year and Christmas in one year...

Blu Wed 30-Dec-15 22:15:42

Definitely do not contact him, or cajole.

If he then contacts you, probably intending to breeze back as if nothing had happened say 'hang on, you walked out in me without saying goodbye. I want an explanation and only then will I decide whether to meet up again or not',

Does he panic? Is he a commitment-phobe? What's his baggage?

Anyway, rude behaviour at the v least and you can't go on like this.

Only you can know if it is worth getting to grips with.

glx Wed 30-Dec-15 22:16:36

I know it sounds weird, but fell asleep agreeing what a lovely day, thanks for it etc etc, woke up, got up, I was in kitchen with kettle on to make him coffee, my son colouring at the table, he walks past us and barks "speak later" at 9.00am. I knew exactly what was coming

ArkATerre Wed 30-Dec-15 22:17:45

So he wasn't there for a major event in your life, he strops off on significant dates.....

Not worth it. Seriously.

NorksAreMessy Wed 30-Dec-15 22:18:36

glx I think you might be better off without him.
PLEASE do not text, beg, make excuses for him, ask around, reply to any innocent sounding messages, keep him as a friend on FB.
He is no longer anything to do with you. You have your 'get out of jail free' card, please use it

glx Wed 30-Dec-15 22:19:59

He is a complete commitment phobe. Messy divorce - screwed over financially by ex. He very very rarely expresses any feelings, but then not all 52 year olds are 'new men' . I would probably be tempted to forgive and forget - I know, I'm a mug. But this involves my son too - can't let him grow up thinking this is ok

SisterConcepta Wed 30-Dec-15 22:21:24

Sometimes people put up with a tosspot rather than being alone. You're not doing yourself any favours. You deserve better op

glx Wed 30-Dec-15 22:22:13

I know, you're all right
Just needed to hear it.
He's not on fb......he has no friends - my son and I have lots of good pals (thank GOD) - friends over for dinner tomw.

Blu Wed 30-Dec-15 22:25:23

Ah, missed your later posts, and the meaning of 'other plans'.
Red flags like a parade.
You really, really do not need this controlling, self absorbed, immature man in your life.

I would tell him it is over.

No way is 47 'it' !!!

And no age is a good age to tie yourself up with a controlling, abusive jerk!

Be pro-active. Get rid.

glx Wed 30-Dec-15 22:26:04

Friend just got engaged after a year - and they are perfect together and adore each other. Often look how he treats me and think my friend would never ever treat his new fiancée like that

Blu Wed 30-Dec-15 22:28:07

And bollocks to 52 being an excuse!

He doesn't even treat you with basic good manners!

Blu Wed 30-Dec-15 22:29:37

Get rid, and try Guardian Soulmates. In due course.

Whensmyturn Wed 30-Dec-15 22:31:22

Stick with the good people. Surround yourself with the people who are worth expending your energy on and all will come good.

TeaFathers Wed 30-Dec-15 22:32:27

oh - just bin him!!
i wouldn't even waste my breath trying to contact him. at all. ghost him back.
BTW, 47 is not your last chance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now