Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Stories of meeting someone from OD, and finding they weren't as amazing as you'd thought before you met - I need a reality check!

(19 Posts)
ifonlyyou Fri 06-Nov-15 18:05:28

I have a date on Sunday night. We met online. Messaged for 3 weeks. Let's just say I like him ALOT.

Please help bring me down to earth and remind me of incidents you may have had where you met and it fell flat....

thank you!

Supermanspants Fri 06-Nov-15 18:09:14

Too many to mention HTH grin

Mermaidhair Fri 06-Nov-15 18:32:48

You mean when they look completely different to their photo? wink

DraenorQueen Fri 06-Nov-15 18:56:36

Oh, every single online date I've been on! One stands out. He was a witty writer, sounded great. Not only had he lied about his height but also loudly told me and the whole fucking smart pub about his glass eye that rolled around in its socket in the morning before his eye muscles have warmed up.
Never. Again.
Oh and the one who claimed he was a fellow teacher but in reality was unemployed and living with his mum but gave the odd guitar lesson to his mates.

hollieberrie Fri 06-Nov-15 19:09:33

I have never fancied any of my online dates. Over the years I must've been on about 30! hmm

YellowDinosaur Fri 06-Nov-15 19:19:06

Well I married mine and I'm sitting in our house 12 years down the line with him and our 2 kids smile

That said, there were a few frogs before I met my prince. I just made sure we had plenty to chat about so even if I didn't fancy him it wasn't a total washout. Good luck!

ifonlyyou Fri 06-Nov-15 19:21:19

Range of replies! Thanks!

yellow that's a lovely story!

I'm scared! Invested far too much already.

DontKillMyVibe Fri 06-Nov-15 19:44:24

I'd recommend meeting within 3-5 days rather than 3 weeks tbh to prevent this kind of thing from happening. Dragging out contact for weeks without meeting can often create a false intimacy when the reality is v v different from what was expected.

ifonlyyou Fri 06-Nov-15 19:47:19

agree dontkillmyvibe it couldnt be helped on this ocassion - holidays!

Wotsitsareafterme Fri 06-Nov-15 20:09:54

What do you like about him?
My dp I met online he's amazing

ifonlyyou Fri 06-Nov-15 20:12:00

wotsits we have lots in common but the main thing is he makes me laugh so so much

Fairylea Fri 06-Nov-15 20:13:48

I met dh online and we have now been married many years and have a toddler son (as well as dd from my first marriage). So have faith !

But....

The worst online date I ever had was one where the guy claimed to be 20s and he was clearly 50s and was literally about 4ft tall. I'm not saying everyone I date has to be a giant but when he stood up as he met me he was practically the size of an 8 year old (and bald as well so it was like a shiny boiled egg beneath me). I spent the first hour of the date cringing constantly and then I went into the toilet and rang my mum and begged her to ring me back in 10 mins when I was next to him and say there was an emergency at home.... I ran. Feel sorry for him really but clearly it was all a disaster.

Wotsitsareafterme Fri 06-Nov-15 20:14:57

Where are you going in the date?

I've been on loads of od good and bad grin

ifonlyyou Fri 06-Nov-15 20:16:37

wotsits we live in london so meeting by buckingham palace (his choice) then going for drinks

Wotsitsareafterme Fri 06-Nov-15 20:17:39

Sounds great grin

museumum Fri 06-Nov-15 20:26:59

I married my second OLDate but the first turned out to be a police man. Who drove. Didn't drink. And literally accused me of binge drinking cause I had a pint of lager (before I realised he wasn't drinking).

GloriaHotcakes Fri 06-Nov-15 20:33:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Destinysdaughter Fri 06-Nov-15 20:35:27

Ooh too many!

The man who used to be a woman

The one who described himself as a ' sexy city lawyer' who was 5 foot tall, had black teeth and a monotone voice like John Major

The one who liked to wear ladies' tights

The one who looked nothing like his photo and wouldn't stop talking

The one who'd been in a 6 year relationship and when I asked when it had ended, replied, 2 weeks ago!

The one who claimed to be a property developer but in reality, had recently come out of prison and was currently living at his brothers' and doing a bit of decorating...

There are more. But that's enough for now. Hope your date is better than some of mine were!

DontKillMyVibe Fri 06-Nov-15 20:38:04

Yes OP, you'll have to update and
let us all know how Sunday goes
- fingers crossed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now