Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

My story - not very long!

(5 Posts)
essexgirl999 Thu 15-Oct-15 11:47:43

I just wanted to share something with everyone to show that living without alcohol is very possible and better than living with it. I haven't had a drink for coming up to 8 years. When I stop and think about that I find it utterly amazing. Before I stopped drinking I was a mess. My body was starting to rebel against the booze - I had diarrhoea every day (with yellow poo!!) and was getting gastric pain too. I looked crap, was always tired and always wanting a drink.
I was 40. At that point I couldn't ever imagine a day (let alone any longer) without drinking. How would I cope with bad days? what if I'm angry about something, what then? what about when I'm sad? Or happy and need to celebrate? Any excuse. Not drinking was UNTHINKABLE.
Well 8 years on from drinking I can confirm that YES, It is more than possible to exist without alcohol. I am in control of my life. I no longer get the shits every day. I sleep properly (with the odd sleepless night which we all have), I eat properly and I never have to worry about being breathalysed in my car.
In the last 8 years I have been through a long term relationship breakdown/breakup, filing a constructive dismissal case against a former employer with the industrial tribunal, a job change, selling one house and buying another, my father having a brain aneurysm and he and my mum becoming more dependant on me for support, my daughter going to university and loads of other big things.....and none of these things have made me pick up a drink and I have been sober through the lot and have had to feel every feeling I have had.
I don't have a magic wand. I don't have all the answers but I just wanted to let everyone know that it IS possible to live a happy, contented and full life without alcohol. I very rarely even think about drinking now. It's just not part of my life any more.
For all of you who are struggling with this horrible illness I hope this has given you some hope. Good luck and I'm happy to help in any way I can.

essexgirl999 Thu 15-Oct-15 11:48:32

sorry I meant that to go in the DRY thread!!

4merlyknownasSHD Thu 15-Oct-15 12:08:59

It would probably be good to be on EVERY thread. Well done!

loveyoutothemoon Thu 15-Oct-15 16:51:53

Wow what a fab post-well done! You must have a great sense of achievement.

I personally can't understand people wanting to drink themselves to death!

springydaffs Thu 15-Oct-15 19:19:51

Lucky you, moon!

Great thread flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now