Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

What do you do with your other halves/husbands evenings

(21 Posts)
Wannabechic1 Fri 18-Sep-15 14:10:13

I'd love to know what you all do once you're both home and kids in bed. Do you spend time together watching TV or talking or each on their own computer facing away from each other not saying a word till bedtime.

Or as some friends have mentioned, play chess together, do yoga.. etc.

Thanks,

DrMorse Fri 18-Sep-15 14:12:52

We watch tv, go to body pump class (kids are old enough to manage an hour on their own), drink wine, talk, play music, sort laundry, search through the freezer for the next days meal and sometimes we do just sit and ignore each other grin

WipsGlitter Fri 18-Sep-15 14:12:57

DP is working on a lap top in the sitting room, I'm on the ipad, watching TV, bit of chatting. Sometimes I will go to bed early to read.

I've suggested, chess, cards and games he's not interested. We are supposed to be doing "date night" (boke) to try and get out of this rut!

BolshierAyraStark Fri 18-Sep-15 14:15:48

Watch TV/films, drink wine/gin, talk, laugh, go out to eat/drink occasionally & even more occasionally we go out together on the mountain bikes.

Happytuesdays99 Fri 18-Sep-15 14:25:16

Sit opposite each other and watch tv. Bit of chat, wine, sometimes no chat and both on iPads. Not very exciting. Doesn't bother me. I like my own head space and so does he.

ArialBold Fri 18-Sep-15 14:25:55

We are crap during the week. Once the Dc are in bed and we've had dinner, DH tends to look at the football results work on his laptop, while I prefer to unwind with a bath, read etc. We watch a boxset together maybe once a week.

Weekends, we are a bit better grin. We have long, waffling conversations over wine, play music we both like, watch films together and if we can park the DC, we go to the gym together.

Wannabechic1 Fri 18-Sep-15 14:30:15

For us, (when he's not down the pub 1-2 times a week) its literally, getting DC to bed, then he plays computer games, and I browse pinterest, mumsnet, bloglovin.
The result being it feels like we almost never talk to each other.. and since the DC its always been like this, I sometimes think the only thing I´d change is that I go out at least once a week to fitness centre or drinks with friends. But I will try engaging with him more, poker nights at home maybe...

Kim82 Fri 18-Sep-15 14:32:57

It depends. Sometimes we'll watch a film together, sometimes we'll chat, sometimes we ignore each other and faff on our phones or watch TV, other times if we have a babysitter we'll go for a meal, a lovely long chat and other times we go to the pub to meet friends.

Through the week we tend to do the ignoring each other while I read or play on my phone and he watches TV, we tend to be more sociable and chatty with each other at the weekends.

I'm looking forward to this weekend though, he's going away from 4pm today til Sunday afternoon so once the kids are in bed I can sip wine and watch what I like on the TV with no interruptions. Bliss!

TheBunnyOfDoom Fri 18-Sep-15 15:27:11

It depends. Sometimes we do our own thing (he plays video games, I MN or watch TV on my laptop), other nights we have dinner together and watch TV or a movie, or we play board games or video games together.

We make sure we spend at least two evenings a week doing something as a couple - whether we go out for a drink or just talk with a glass of wine.

orlakielyimnot Fri 18-Sep-15 15:34:46

I don't think it's about what you do together or separately but about how you feel about it. We might host a friend for a meal, we might eat together, more often I eat earlier than he does. We might watch our current box set or we might not really meet up. Occasionally we have a chat but more often that takes place weekend mornings One of us might go out. I always got to bed an hour or two before he does. This works really well for us.

Norest Fri 18-Sep-15 16:32:46

Yea I guess it is less about what we do and more about how we feel.

But to break it down - if we are staying in and not going out somewhere (we don't go out a huge amount) we might cook, watch a film / bit of a boxset, have sex, sit and chat whilst listening to music, play a bit of a games console game, show each other something silly on the internet. One of us often pops out and grabs coffee or sweets from the shop and we will share those like big kids.

Sometimes if one of us has to work then the other one is surfing the internet or writing / reading etc. But we will take breaks from that to just sit and chat.

I'd say overall we do a mesh up of all the things listed above each evening, and in between doing those things we are chatting...fairly even split betweem 'serious' stuff or 'silly' joking around on an average evening.

Mostly I feel we spend quality time together where we are tactile, have conversation and have a giggle and regular sex etc.

That is vastly different to other relationships though where i was often in bed reading just to have time away from the other person. sad

vvviola Fri 18-Sep-15 16:37:21

We usually watch TV or a film together. But it's very much "sitting down together with a cup of tea to watch a specific thing we both like and discuss" rather than aimlessly flicking through channels.

We sometimes play scrabble or trivial pursuits.

If there's nothing on TV and we aren't in the mood for board games we'll go to bed with our tea and our books and read for a while and interrupt each other's reading to read out the good bits

We are great big nerds really. grin

cjt110 Fri 18-Sep-15 16:42:32

We sit and have tea together after DS has gone to bed at 7. He usually sits with me whilst I watch the soaps and we maybe watch a mutually chosen program too. Then about 8ish he'll go on his PC and I'll watch what I want on tv, surf the net on my phone, ring my mum. I usually head to bed about 10 and watch the news in bed and he comes up at about 1030.

ofshoes Fri 18-Sep-15 16:57:28

Natter, drink tea, watch youtube, read and play Minecraft together.

operaha Fri 18-Sep-15 16:58:45

We go to the gym, body pump, yoga, swimming, sauna.
We go to the pub once a week.
Occasional pub quiz.
We go on nice walks.
We cook together or for each other while the other gets to chill.
We play cards.
We drink wine and sit in the garden talking.
We research places we'd like to visit.
We decorate.
Boring house chores.
Go to bed early.
We never sit playing on phones at night but have been known to spend nearly an hour ignoring each other on a Sunday morning. Technology has lot to answer for in my opinion.

operaha Fri 18-Sep-15 17:01:22

Oh we have friends over once every couple of weekends

SillyStuffBiting Fri 18-Sep-15 17:02:47

Not a lot during the week, we watch a couple of things, have a batter etc.

Friday night is wine in the kitchen time. Boys either sleeping or in bed reading and we set up camp in the kitchen with a bottle of wine. Sometimes cards, chess or something.

Saturday is usually film snuggles.

Normal service is resumed on Monday when we go back to happily ignoring each other. grin

NotSoDesperateHousewife Fri 18-Sep-15 17:09:01

We have a lot of sex, watch TV, ignore each other on phones, do jigsaws, play board games. All sorts. We go out once a week each too smile

moopymoodle Fri 18-Sep-15 17:24:07

I have a bath then we usually chat and watch TV and have a cuddle. When kids are at their Dad's every other weekend we get out and about smile

shutupanddance Fri 18-Sep-15 17:29:24

I hate board games. We usually watch tv, surf net and dh plays games on his phone, sometimes drink. We're usually knackered.

blibblobblub Fri 18-Sep-15 18:00:13

We watch tv and piss about on our phones. Have a bit of a cuddle and a chat. Our baby is only 4 months so we don't have much scope to do much else really! (Though he is out 1-2 evenings a week for different hobbies.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now