Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Massively overthinking things here but wtf did he mean?

(40 Posts)
MyGastIsFlabbered Mon 07-Sep-15 19:08:08

I've been dating this guy for about 4 months. I really like him but am not in love with him. However, we were talking the other day and he said that his ex-wife liked me and that she was 'really happy for us'. He then said that she got involved too quickly and he wasn't the same. He then said he was sorry but he wasn't 'skipping down the road.' I assumed he meant he wasn't in love with me and I'm 100% ok with that.

But since then I've been playing it over and over in my mind and now I'm wondering all sorts-was he warning me off falling for him? I know I'm massively overthinking it, is there any way I can broach it without sounding like a needy loser?

LadyB49 Mon 07-Sep-15 19:09:56

Just ask him what he meant.

fastdaytears Mon 07-Sep-15 19:10:18

Well I think he talks about his ex-wife too much for a start.

Other than that I've got nothing. What is skipping down the road? Is that a thing?

MyGastIsFlabbered Mon 07-Sep-15 19:10:57

I know, but I feel like too much time has passed since he said it (on Friday)

thehypocritesoaf Mon 07-Sep-15 19:12:33

Id ask- come on, you're shagging the fella you should be able to talk to him.

I'd say- been thinking over what you said, can you clarify??

DriverSurpriseMe Mon 07-Sep-15 19:13:42

He said he wasn't "skipping down the road" with happiness? Sounds like he's trying to let you down gently, but in a really, really bizarre way.

The fact he told you that his wife fell in love fast and he didn't feel the same way says a lot - I think he's drawing parallels.

MyGastIsFlabbered Mon 07-Sep-15 19:37:16

Ok so I sent him this message:

I know I'm massively overthinking this (it's what I'm good at after all ��) but why did you make the 'skipping down the road' comment? Are you worried I'm getting too emotionally involved?

And got this one back:

I'm quite crap at saying the right thing. I don't think before I speak. Don't read too much in to it ��

I guess I can relax again.

LadyB49 Mon 07-Sep-15 19:53:16

But he didn't say what he meant.
(I wouldn't have put in the 'are you worried I'm getting too emotionally involved)

You can really go back and ask for further clarification, just be quicker to ask what he means next time.

Blodss Mon 07-Sep-15 20:05:13

He hasn't answered your question though has he. Is he still in love with his ex wife I wonder?

coveredinsnot Mon 07-Sep-15 20:07:55

Can you have a conversation with him rather than texting? You need clarity after all, not further confusion and texts are so open to misinterpretation.

FaceFullOfFilleronthe45 Mon 07-Sep-15 20:11:59

I have absolutely no idea what he meant either. confused I think you are going to have to ask him.

GammonAndEgg Mon 07-Sep-15 20:18:49

I thought it meant exactly what he said!

People (Ew!) are happy that's he's with you because you're lovely BUT he thinks EW got over-involved too quickly and he doesn't want to do that.

His 'sorry but I'm not skipping down the road' just means 'I'm not galloping off into the future at a fast pace'.

Simple! I've got 3 DBs and 2 BILs!

thehypocritesoaf Mon 07-Sep-15 20:20:25

Um, I don't think texting was a way to get answers.

Still he's saying you've got nothing to worry about so genuinely I wouldn't worry....

sonjadog Mon 07-Sep-15 20:36:43

He hasn't actually answered your question. So you are still none the wiser. I think you need to talk directly to him.

LovelyFriend Mon 07-Sep-15 20:56:38

perhaps "he's not skipping down the road to a 2nd marriage (ie with you)".
As in he's not looking to get married.

MyGastIsFlabbered Mon 07-Sep-15 20:57:12

Well I'm not going to go into it tonight as it would be via text and I agree it's not the way to do it, but I won't see him until the weekend and didn't want to leave it until then as I'd have whipped myself into a frenzy by then!

LovelyFriend Mon 07-Sep-15 21:01:36

why can't you call him?

campervan67 Mon 07-Sep-15 21:02:58

Assuming everything else in the relationship is ok, I think he meant exactly what GammonandEgg said. I think he's happy with you but he's consciously taking it slowly. No bad thing.

DarkNavyBlue Mon 07-Sep-15 23:06:49

Why would you whip yourself into a frenzy over this? All he's said is 'I'm not falling in love with you, and just in case you are, please don't get carried away.'

If you're not in love with him I don't see why you would have thought anything other than 'Great, we're on the same page.'

MyGastIsFlabbered Mon 07-Sep-15 23:17:34

Because I can overthink anything confused

At first my reaction was absolutely fine, it was only later I started to doubt myself.

Blu Mon 07-Sep-15 23:23:17

What GammonAndEgg said.

DarkNavyBlue Mon 07-Sep-15 23:26:15

But why would you doubt yourself. What is there to doubt?

CalleighDoodle Mon 07-Sep-15 23:49:32

Who has told you that you over think things?

Cabrinha Tue 08-Sep-15 07:12:34

This is the second time in 48 hours I've posted this... But relationships would be a lot better if people would communicate and dump early on when they can't!

Do not apologise for over thinking.
Call, don't text.
Say, OK - you're bad with words, but I still have no idea what you were trying to say - please tell me.

I think it's fine not to be madly in love with someone after 5 minutes. But I so think it's a bit of a warning sign to be telling the other person that you're not!

If any part of you thinks you can't talk to him about this, that you'll scare him off, that he'll be annoyed... Then you're setting your bar too low. You're having sex with this man. The least he can do is care about your feelings!

BathtimeFunkster Tue 08-Sep-15 08:00:38

I don't think before I speak. Don't read too much in to it.

That would annoy the shit out of me.

What he said originally makes no sense. Wouldn't have bothered me unduly, but might have asked for clarification at the time because people talking in riddles annoys me.

But "don't read too much into it" is something you say about somebody else's comment. Not something you said yourself.

He's basically reserving the right to say things "without thinking" and instructing you not to read "too much" (ie anything) into what he says.

It's not you overthinking that's the problem here, it's him underthinking.

Or, in reality, pretending to underthink, while in reality playing some kind of mind game.

I'd be wary of this one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now