Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Does your dp tell you they love you?

(40 Posts)
sunshinecup Tue 25-Aug-15 21:24:47

My DP isn't overly soppy and always tells me to stop being soft when I get soppy blush the other day he said I don't realise how much he loves me because he doesn't say it much but that he really does. Does anybody else have a DP like this and do you mind?

FrizzyNoodles Tue 25-Aug-15 21:27:18

Mine doesn't say much but behaves like he adores me. I like it this way after experiencing the words while being treated badly previously. Would be nice to have both but never mind!!

BaryMerry Tue 25-Aug-15 21:30:32

We're both a bit like this - we can go for days tbh without cuddling or kissing but we do love each other and say it sometimes (usually during more - ahem - intimate moments blush). I sometimes wonder if this is weird and should we be trying to be more touchy-feely? But then I think I suppose that's just how we are and we're probably not the only ones like this.

That response doesn't help you much though does it?? Do you wish we was more soppy?

FrizzyNoodles Tue 25-Aug-15 21:33:37

He might not actually want you to stop being soft it might be his reaction to soppiness.

sunshinecup Tue 25-Aug-15 21:37:52

I think he does like it really, he knows how much I love him! I would like him to say it more, it's never a bad thing to hear is it?! But I also appreciate it when he does say it too lol

Wando Tue 25-Aug-15 21:40:28

They do - and I love it! But it can be overdone!

SayrraT Tue 25-Aug-15 21:47:19

Nope, but I know he does and that is what matters. I can remember every single time he has said it in the time we've been together (4 times in 10 years). The way he acts/treats me means more than any words he can say.

BaryMerry Tue 25-Aug-15 21:51:30

Yep, I'd rather he/we showed it regularly than said it every day and didn't really mean it!

InanimateCarbonRod Tue 25-Aug-15 21:52:29

He tells me every day. More than once a day and most importantly he acts like he adores me. He treats me like a princess. I've got a good un!

Zanymummy Tue 25-Aug-15 22:07:23

Not for a while he is still convinced i was at least having an emotional affair with my friend who has since moved away

Archer26 Tue 25-Aug-15 22:15:10

My DH rarely says I love you to me, and I always moan he never compliments me. He hasn't a romantic bone in his body.

However my mum always says it's the little things that show how they feel and she's right. - He brings me a cup of tea every morning without fail. He cooks tea for me most nights without asking. When I was pregnant he refused to let me drive in the snow. He pats my bum and calls me grump.

He may not make huge declarations of love to me but I know he does. smile

U2HasTheEdge Tue 25-Aug-15 22:16:02

He says it a lot, there is never a day goes by where he hasn't said it at least 5 times. More importantly though he shows it. They are always heart felt I love you's, followed up with actions.

absolutelynotfabulous Tue 25-Aug-15 22:17:50

No.

DramaAlpaca Tue 25-Aug-15 22:19:47

My DH rarely says it, he's not the demonstrative sort. The important thing is that I know without doubt that he loves me.

NewLife4Me Tue 25-Aug-15 22:20:01

Mine tells me he loves me but not all the time, some days he doesn't.
I know he means it when he does though.
Also agree that it's how you show it that is important, anybody can say it.

Judydreamsofhorses Tue 25-Aug-15 22:21:12

We say it all the time. It took me forever to be able to say it in the first place, though!

Ally1234 Tue 25-Aug-15 22:23:20

ALL-THE-TIME!!!! it drives me bonkers actually as i'm not a soppy person at all. I'd rather it was shown then said as it does loose its meaning when its overdone. I have told him but he doesn't stop so i just get used to it. there are more annoying habits to deal with x

BeautyQueenFromMars Tue 25-Aug-15 22:25:28

Yep, my DH tells me several times a day, and shows me all the time. I used to be a bit 'ick' over the soppiness, but now I kind of like it blush

ladygoingGaga Tue 25-Aug-15 22:25:54

Am quite relieved to read this smile
My DP has never said it in just over a year together, however I have never felt so loved in all my life.

A previous fuckwit DP declared his undying love after 3 weeks, but was a total cock, worked it out eventually.

OhBigHairyBollocks Tue 25-Aug-15 22:30:46

DH rarely says it but does little things all the time that are really touching. Silly things like defrosting and warming the car up for me before I have to get in it in the winter! I luffs him. I tell him all the time.

BitOutOfPractice Tue 25-Aug-15 22:32:53

Yes. And shows it too every day

CanalTrip Tue 25-Aug-15 23:00:30

How many DPs do you have Wando? grin

MrsTedCrilly Wed 26-Aug-15 01:52:10

Constantly, to the point I want him to stop! Sometimes he says it a minute after already saying it hmm grinHe shows it too and it is nice to feel so loved. But I'm less soppy so forget to say it most of the time, even though I do feel it.

derxa Wed 26-Aug-15 02:09:09

He says it rarely but I know he does. he says it at unexpected times e.g. I might say, 'I'm sorry I did that, how do you put up with me?' He replies, 'Well it's because I love you.'

LikeABadSethRogenMovie Wed 26-Aug-15 02:11:30

We've been together coming up to 20 years and we say it every day. But not in a clingy, desperate to be together way. It's just a very natural part of our relationship.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now