Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Why can't I enjoy new starts to relationships, why do I panic?

(3 Posts)
thesesweets3 Mon 22-Jun-15 17:07:24

I am seeking advice on how I can be a stronger, more self assured and relaxed person in a relationship.

I ended a serious relationship in March, which took some guts for me as I am a very insecure person and blamed myself for what was wrong between us, when looking back now I can see that I should have walked away sooner, and that none of it was my fault. It's made me a stronger person and more sure of what I want in someone.

I recently started dating again and have been flattered and surprised with the interest I have had. I've met someone lovely, and I honestly anticipated having a long while to wait before I met someone 'special' as it generally takes me a long time to find someone I properly click with. So my feelings for this man have come somewhat as a surprise for me. In fact, he has pushed things forward and been very caring towards me. We spend most nights chatting and when I see him my attraction to him grows steadily... I didn't meet him and think 'wow' initially.

Anyway - the problem:
He has a busy job and is extremely successful. I have a successful career and in that way I am also quite independent. We match in that respect. However, I feel that at times I need more attention from him, and I know this is silly because when we speak he is always checking I am ok and is so polite and caring towards me, tells me I'm fabulous etc etc and in his own way often seems worried that I have lost interest, and I remind him that I feel the same way about him as he says he does for me.... But in the time when we aren't talking or he is extra busy, I start to panic and wonder if he has lost interest and so on. I don't know why this is as I have no reason to doubt him, and my self-confidence has grown a lot since I ended things with exDP. It seems a silly way to behave considering how career driven I am, and nobody at work would think i had these thoughts in my private life. BUT, all my previous relationships have started this way - how do I stop it and just enjoy this time?

Cabrinha Mon 22-Jun-15 17:15:28

I know not of which I speak... but I know that CBT is supposed to help with intrusive thoughts. I'm not suggesting you need full on counselling - but worth googling for techniques you can try on your own?

I'm awful for "worst case scenario" thoughts. I try not to block them - just indulge myself for 2 minutes, and remind myself that yes it's possible, but really the least likely option. I bash myself over the head with rationality grin

Zillie77 Mon 22-Jun-15 17:17:48

This is the shadow side of the excitement and thrills of a new relationship; the insecurity and worry once you begin to really like someone but are not quite sure if the relationship will last. I don't have any advice, I just remember what that is like and I do not envy you. I wouldn't trade my long-term relationship for a new one for anything, for lots of reasons including the beginning jitters.

Good luck and do your best to enjoy it-it sounds like you really like each other!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now