Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Kissing a smoker?

(29 Posts)
toolongwithout Tue 09-Jun-15 08:29:21

Newly onto the dating scene. Found someone I fancy with a lovely personality, I know he likes me too, so far so good BUT he's a smoker. I have never smoked in my entire life. Can anyone tell me does it really taste that awful to kiss a smoker? What if they've just sucked a mint/brushed their teeth, can you still taste it then? I'd also like to know, does the taste come out in their semen, like garlic might come out in sweat? Surely anything that gets into the blood stream carries through the whole body? I don't know anyone who smokes so this is a first for me. Is it really like licking an ashtray?

Purpleboa Tue 09-Jun-15 08:39:48

Hey there. Having dared a smoker on and off for 3 years, I'm afraid I have to tell you that it does smell sad it's not just about kissing them, the stench gets everywhere. Clothes, breath, furniture...when I stayed over at my ex's I would wrap any clothes I was taking in plastic and they would still smell.

Mind, my ex was a heavy smoker (20 a day, smoked in his flat). He wouldn't compromise at all, we did talk about moving in but then realised we both disagreed on the smoking policy.

Could be hopefully this guy won't be anything like my slobby selfish ex, a lot of smokers go to great pains to conceal the smell.

However, if I did start dating again I'd weed out the smokers for sure. Sorry if that seemed a bit harsh - I'd get to know him first cos things could change and it may not be such an issue.

Purpleboa Tue 09-Jun-15 08:40:13

Lol dated not dared!

however Tue 09-Jun-15 08:52:26

You can't taste it so much as smell it. And if you smell it strongly while you're kissing him, it's kind of like you can taste it.

It's not pleasant. I wouldn't date a smoker for that reason.

CindeFuckinRella Tue 09-Jun-15 08:58:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Fontella Tue 09-Jun-15 09:17:57

It actualy gets in their skin somehow. Hard to explain but I dated a smoker for a bit, and he was very clean, showered every day, clean clothes etc. always smoked outside even at his own house, but he still stank and it was kind of on him and in him - part of his DNA almost. Wish I could explain it better but it's just this underlying constant smell no matter how they try to disguise it.

Loval Tue 09-Jun-15 09:18:45

I get that you haven't snogged him yet, but can you not smell smoke on him when you're near to him? If not that's a bit odd. His house and car will stink of it too.

GlitzAndGigglesx Tue 09-Jun-15 09:23:41

When I smoked I didn't notice as much because smokers are pretty much immune to their vile smell. When DP comes in from somewhere after smoking he just kisses my cheek or something cause I told him he smells rank grin.

Loval Tue 09-Jun-15 09:31:52

Exactly, Glitz. I'm an ex-smoker, stopped 15 years ago. I was immune to the smell of others and myself shock.
Can't stand the smell now, although I did have aversion therapy when I gave up so I'm probably an extreme case.
I can't see how anyone who isn't a smoker won't notice the smell of it on someone else when they're up close.

Skiptonlass Tue 09-Jun-15 09:47:14

It is pretty horriblesad I too weeded out smokers when I was dating!

It ruins their sense of smell so they have no idea but everyone else can smell it and it gets everywhere. It's also very unhealthy to be exposed to second hand smoke.

Sorry, but there are no pluses to smoking sad

toolongwithout Tue 09-Jun-15 10:39:35

I have a very poor sense of smell. I can hardly smell posh perfumes & can barely taste my food. I reckon I've lost a good 60%+ of my smell. That said, smoke is quite acrid.

pocketsaviour Tue 09-Jun-15 10:42:18

I'll buck the trend here slightly. My last LTR was with a guy who smoked about 10 a day, Silk Cut ("mildest" cigs available.) I gave up smoking in 2006 and have a very sensitive sense of smell. However I could never smell smoke on my ex unless he had literally just walked back in the house from having one in the garden. However, if he had just come in from work and had one in the car just before pulling up on the driveway, I would be able to smell it in the car next morning.

So I do think there's a certain amount of bandwidth and you will probably just have to snog him and see.

Cancookdontcook Tue 09-Jun-15 10:48:23

I went out with a smoker briefly and worse than the kissing (he was fanatical about brushing his teeth/mints etc) was the smell on his clothes, in his hair, in his car. My whole house smelt of stale smoke after he had visited even though he always smoked outside. The smell followed him around and lingered well after he left, even the next day.

It was a major issue for me, worse than I expected really, especially as he tried to cut down around me.

ludovica Tue 09-Jun-15 10:51:52

I am a lifelong non smoker and I used to live with a smoker. I got used to kissing him and didn't notice it after a while.

molyholy Tue 09-Jun-15 10:52:51

I enjoy a couple of cigs when I have a drink, but hypocritically, I cannot bear the smell of smokers. It's not so much the kissing, but as pp have said, the lingering smell. If my dh has been the pub (he also has a couple of ciggies only when he drinks), I cannot bear to kiss hi.

As I say, total hypocrite, but I couldn't date someone who smokes all the time.

SylvaniansAtEase Tue 09-Jun-15 11:15:59

Sorry to say that it's definitely something you can smell, and not just when they've been smoking.

When they have just been smoking, it's utterly rank.

It might also put you off mints too grin because what's almost worse than the smell straight is that horrific minty smoke smell that's created when a smoker sucks a quick mint to 'disguise' it. Now that really does want to make you throw up - something about the juxtaposition of the two smells is truly heave-worthy.

mrstweefromtweesville Tue 09-Jun-15 11:19:12

Oh dear.
1975. PR. Cigarettes and Vimto.
He was a great snog, very stylish, but I can still remember the revolting taste.

toolongwithout Tue 09-Jun-15 11:34:04

What I'd really like to know about is oral sex as I'm rather keen blush Can you taste it? Anyone out there with experience of a smokers bj?

wallypops Tue 09-Jun-15 11:40:36

I don't think so for the bj. The worst thing about smokers imho (and there are no positives) is the morning breath, and if they have a fag and a coffee with no food first. So that early morning fag and coffee is worse than if they'd been vomiting to be honest.

Ex lightish smoker here. Wouldn't ever go out with another smoker. Wouldn't employ one if I had a choice either.

tormentil Tue 09-Jun-15 11:50:01

Lifelong non smoker and exercise junkie. Totally unbothered by kissing a smoker. Quite like it actually. Oral sex fine too - actually preferred the taste of the smoker to the non smoker. I don't mind cigarette smoke either.

mrstweefromtweesville Tue 09-Jun-15 11:50:30

If I were considering swallowing a new man's semen, my first concern wouldn't be "Will it taste of nicotine?" I think I'd be pondering "Why the heck am I considering this with a man I don't know very well? When was he last checked for disease? Do I trust him to tell me the truth about that? Are we exclusive? Is he going to tell the truth about that?" And while I was getting over my trust issues, he could give up smoking.

Pippa12 Tue 09-Jun-15 11:52:02

My DH used to smoke- I detested it. I wouldn't move in with him till he quit. I hated kissing. He gave up. Happy all round (lots of kissing now!) 13 years later x

cuntycowfacemonkey Tue 09-Jun-15 11:56:42

Quite MrsTwee.

I must be getting old because when I cannot imagine on meeting a potential new flame that my main concern would be what does his sperm taste like.

GlitzAndGigglesx Tue 09-Jun-15 12:07:20

wallypops I remember this particular angry teacher in secondary school who would go right in people's faces to tell them off. His breath was horrific!! Coffee and tobacco mixed with his drinking session from the night before was really unpleasant at 9am. I'm glad I don't smoke anymore I can actually smell things!

toolongwithout Tue 09-Jun-15 12:17:49

God mrstwee you're so right! You can tell how long it's been for me I'm not even thinking about sti's! Condoms it is then, which renders the taste thing irrelevant. It's been sooo long since I had sex I've forgotten everything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now