Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

How to improve relationship with my parents

(2 Posts)
GingerPuddin Sat 16-May-15 08:48:43

My relationship with my parents isn't great. I find myself getting irrationally annoyed by them. They have their flaws but they've never been abusive. They live in another country several hours flight away so we don't see them very often but we skype a couple times a week so they can see ds and we catch up a bit. Our dynamic is that we don't talk particularly about anything emotional or difficult.
We're planning to visit them in the summer but planning this has been really difficult for me. DH's family live in a similar area so we always see both families when we go DHs dad has cancer and dh resents spending time with my family since his dad probably has a year or two at most. If we spend more time with his parents my folks get passive aggressive. I feel caught in the middle. I'm very much a people pleaser but I can't keep both sides happy which really upsets and stresses me. My natural reaction is to avoid.
I've tired to explain to both sides how I feel but the cycle continues
It's really starting to damage my relationship with my parents as I find myself trying to avoid their calls or vanishing to do chores while they skypw with ds. I know it needs to change but I don't know what to do or how to start.

GingerPuddin Sat 16-May-15 08:49:18

Sorry about the lack of paragraphs. Typing on my phone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now