Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Histronic MiL playing games again. [Yawn]

(19 Posts)
KingJoffreysBloodshotEye Sat 23-Aug-14 13:21:18

I work Saturday nights. Have done for years. Have to sleep during the day on Saturdays. She knows this. She very much knows this.

So WHY does she phone me every fecking Saturday?

If I answer I'll get, "Sorry to disturb you, I know you're asleep." Then be told/asked something which could easily be put in a text or she could ask DP.

I've stopped answering now. Sort of works. She'll keep calling but my phone is on silent and won't disturb me.

But why do it? Is there a reason?

confused

I've recently gone NC with narc SiL and they have a very strange co-dependent relationship.

Is she punishing me?

hmm

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow Sat 23-Aug-14 13:36:48

Have you asked her not to ring you on a Saturday because you sleep? Its quite a simple request.

KingJoffreysBloodshotEye Sat 23-Aug-14 13:37:56

Oh, yes!

Certainly done that!

grin

Mrsgrumble Sat 23-Aug-14 13:39:41

Can you turn the phone off. She is being a bitch

NotALondoner Sat 23-Aug-14 13:41:21

You know at 3am when you're wondering what to get her for Christmas? Ring her and ask!

Floundering Sat 23-Aug-14 13:41:50

Silly mare, yes she's having a pop becasue you upset her darling girl by standing up to her.

Can your DP have a word and tell her to ring him if there's a query?

If he's wimping out, then next time she says something, say in a puzzled voice
" but as you know, I work Saturdays nights & have to sleep beforehand, so why would you thin I could hear the phone, you'll get more joy from DP! "
<grit teeth & grin >

BitterAndOnlySlightlyTwisted Sat 23-Aug-14 13:44:24

The phone is on silent but she still rings.

Of course she's doing it purpose. It means that her need to call for whatever reason (or none at all) is much more important then the OP's need for rest because she and her needs are of no consequence whatsoever.

I'd stop speaking to her on the phone at all.

Nomama Sat 23-Aug-14 13:47:47

Oooh Joffrey. Having read some of your previous posts I think there is only 1 solution. Pluck out thine eyes and stop thine ears. Become a hermit.

Or shoot her smile

Ah, that was 3 solutions, sorry!

Floundering Sat 23-Aug-14 13:48:22

Well if it rings out & is on silent (I'd turn the answer phone off for that time too) its only gooing to frutsrate her, silly bint.

Keep doing that OP & she'll get bored with no reaction!!!

KingJoffreysBloodshotEye Sat 23-Aug-14 13:54:23

My answer phone is turned off anyway. I only have a mobile, we don't have a landline.

Was just wondering if it was definite sabotage of my sleep. I was suspecting, but not sure.

She doesn't ring me any other time. Just on Saturdays. Very boring.

I used to ring back, maybe on Tuesday and say, "Sorry I missed your call. I was asleep." Now I don't bother calling back at all.

hmm

She wants DS to go and stay, I think that's why she's ringing. SiL bullies him now, though (another reason for the NC) so he won't go down there.

He's busy this week though and back at school the week after so it won't be happening.

wink

FannyFifer Sat 23-Aug-14 13:56:20

Ring the wagon every Sat night between 0100-0500 to ask her something stupid.

BitterAndOnlySlightlyTwisted Sat 23-Aug-14 14:14:51

Block her damned number! If it's truly important she can call your DP.

"Wagon" Hehe

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow Sat 23-Aug-14 14:38:47

You definitely definitely have to do the same to her. Seriously. Every single time

magicstar1 Sat 23-Aug-14 14:46:18

Ring her back on your way home from work every Saturday night

Meerka Sat 23-Aug-14 14:51:38

I'd answer it once more and tell her that you were asleep, she knows you were asleep and that she can ring her son instead of you.

And that if she does it again you will ring her at 3 am in the morning.

Then do it.

SpaceInvaders Sun 24-Aug-14 12:07:49

Unplug the landline and put your mobile on silent. Your sleep isn't disturbed that way and the only person she'll be winding up is herself when you don't answer!
You can sleep on oblivious. smile

Mrsgrumble Sun 24-Aug-14 12:35:23

Love the suggestion to ring her on the way home from work, or about 6 am !!

yoyo27 Sun 24-Aug-14 12:38:53

What a mare. Must make a relationship with her very awkward!

VelvetEmbers Sun 24-Aug-14 16:02:25

She might not be playing games. My own mother has got very odd as she's got older. She knows that DD goes to music class every Saturday morning. She'll ring on Saturday wondering where I am. Or she'll call at 7.30am on Sunday and wonder why no-one answers even though she's been told 100,000 times that we don't get up until much later (deliberately have the phone so it can't be heard upstairs after years of being woken up by MIL).

She also knows that the mornings are hellish for me and we have a window of about 5 mins to get out of the house once ready or be late for DD school and my work. So she'll call at that point. It'll be something desperately vital like "am I having DD the end of this month or the end of next month?" hmm

It's just as if the minute she thinks of something she has to ask me and pays zero attention to the time/ day/ what anyone else is likely to be doing. Yet when she was younger you called her during Emmerdale at your peril.

I would say that it is likely your MIL is completely unaware she's causing you a problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now