Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

new relationships in your 50's

(7 Posts)
catkin14 Sat 09-Aug-14 23:45:00

So being divorced earlier this year and getting back into dating for the first time again in 30 years I have discovered a few things I had never thought about because despite my age on a piece of paper I still feel 18, well in my head anyway!
The main one is the amount of baggage everyone has at this age and how much past everyone has.
Is it best to think the is still a 'Mr Right' out there or just accept that no one is perfect?
I have found a really nice man and we get on very well, have much in common and my Dcs really like him. We are very comfortable together. He is honest, kind, considerate and very loyal.
But I am not swept off my feet by him.
Am I living on cloud cook-coo to expect to be swept of my feet and just be glad I have found someone so nice at this time of life?

HumblePieMonster Sun 10-Aug-14 00:05:02

Being swept off your feet can leave you without a leg to stand on!

PurpleWithRed Sun 10-Aug-14 00:11:00

I was fairly swept off my feet at 50 - he does have baggage of course but that hasn't got in the way of the passion. Marring him next Saturday grin

BeforeAndAfter Sun 10-Aug-14 00:11:31

You can be swept off your feet by a Mr Right but in order for him to be Mr Right I think he needs to have enough baggage to understand and accept yours and reassure you if need be when you have a wobble. You definitely need the phwoar factor though - that can grow and doesn't need to be there instantly.

catkin14 Sun 10-Aug-14 12:58:40

Thanks for replies.
He is amazingly good with all my baggage which includes a very turbulent time with a teen DC, and also has plenty of his own to understand mine.
He doesnt try to tie me down to him or rule me in any way.
Maybe I just need to give it time.
My marriage of 25+ years was a big mistake and i was swept off my feet there so maybe I have answered my own question!

Pinkfrocks Sun 10-Aug-14 13:09:56

Hmm hmm

Not sure I agree with you.

At 50 you should be more realistic about relationships - ie know that everyone is a mix of good and not so good and will have baggage of sorts. But at the same time feeling 'comfortable' is possible with loads of people. It's not a good enough reason IMO to stick with a man .

You still need to feel that rush of chemistry IMO and lust smile

How is the sex BTW???

Don't settle for the first okay-ish boke who comes along. you aren't over the hill by any means at 50.

AnyFucker Sun 10-Aug-14 13:10:58

Why not just keep going along as you are, while it is working well, and not try to analyse or put a "name" to what you have together

he sounds great to me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now