Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Quick! Is there some kind of protocol for staying at new bloke's house when menstruating.

(260 Posts)
UterusUterusGhali Mon 12-May-14 18:33:47

This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever posted. confused

I've been dating a guy for a few months. I've stayed at his before. We're going to dinner tonight and I'd like to drink & have more time together so I'd have to stay at his.

Thing is I'm on. Do I just say "I'll stay but I'm not shagging you", or would the proper thing to do be to just drive home?

I'm so shit at dating!!!

Bonsoir Mon 12-May-14 18:34:49

If you are really, really keen to shag you won't let a little thing like a period get in your way!

MrsMcEnroe Mon 12-May-14 18:36:46

Text him, tell him that you're ill, and reschedule for next week!
Disclaimer: I met DH before mobile phones were widely used, so I have no idea if I'd actually do this...

leafhopper Mon 12-May-14 18:38:35

How good this new bloke is at a) receiving news that you are on the blob and b)offering a chaste comforting menstrual cuddle is a pretty good test of suitability for continual dating.

I say, be good humoured and blase about the whole thing.

PourquoiTuGachesTaVie Mon 12-May-14 18:38:54

Or just tell him your on. I wouldn't go home just because of a period.

Georgethesecond Mon 12-May-14 18:40:30

So you're saying you can shag him but you can't tell him you have periods? Honestly?!

cantbelievethisishppening Mon 12-May-14 18:41:25

Just tell him.

AnyFucker Mon 12-May-14 18:42:17

Just do what you were going to do. I presume this man knows what a period is and isn't going to faint clean away at the mention of it

Alternatively, hang a sign around your neck saying "Unclean!" and slink off home like something unmentionable

MirandaWest Mon 12-May-14 18:42:54

If you've been dating him for a few months then presumably you've got to know him quite well. Just tell him you're having a period. He presumably knows they happen and then you can make a joint decision about whether you have sex or not.

I definitely wouldn't go home because you're having a period.

SuperPash Mon 12-May-14 18:44:54

True story : I realised dh was actually into me for more than sex when I texted him before we were due to see each other "shark week is occurring, problem?" And he replied "nope, we can j just cuddle if you like, but a bit of blood doesn't bother me".

So, tell him!

DrFunkesFamilyBandSolution Mon 12-May-14 18:45:17

I wouldn't say anything and then, post sex, be all 'what dd you do to me!!'.

Tell him, 'btw, on my period' stay at his and if either are you don't want full sex, there are others things toucan do instead!

Enjoy your date, and your period! grin

UterusUterusGhali Mon 12-May-14 18:45:40

Hehe.
I luffs you lot.

Shagging whilst on the blob doesn't bother me, although I'm quite heavy atm.
I just wondered if it was the done thing to say I'll stay then cut him off, so to speak.

I fear for his expensive poncey mattress too.

Right, wine and blow jobs it is!

headlesslambrini Mon 12-May-14 18:47:07

good news darling. I'm not up-duffed this month. Bad news is if you want it then have a towel handy. grin

UterusUterusGhali Mon 12-May-14 18:47:11

I'm stealing the phrase "shark week" grin

DrFunk I did that to the last bloke I dated. He sulked. I didn't see him again.

sammyad Mon 12-May-14 18:48:21

The first time this came up with DP, I'm pretty sure I said something along the lines of 'I've got my period, so sex is probably off tonight!' to which he said 'Fair enough' and snuggled up. (The 'probably' may have been my tentative way of exploring whether or not period sex was ever going to be on the cards blush. Turns out not. Sigh...) Anyway, I'd have been very put out (and probably stopped seeing him) if he'd suggested I go home instead, or seemed annoyed - would have interpreted it as 'well if you're not here for me to have sex with, why are you?'

gamerchick Mon 12-May-14 18:49:07

If you're having sex a little thing like on your period shouldn't be hard to say if you're into him. most men knows it happens.

Although a little crime scene sex never hurt anybody... depends on the dude.

Bananasandnutella Mon 12-May-14 18:49:23

Just joke and tell him it's the time of the month so no trying it on. It might not phase him.

I always had a rule of never drinking when time of month (pathetic I know) but a couple of months ago I went out and for some reason drinking lots stopped flow so it was still poss to dtd

BertieBotts Mon 12-May-14 18:51:38

I think I'd mention it in passing, so that if he's not keen he can make an excuse/not get his hopes up!

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Mon 12-May-14 18:53:48

I read this thread ten minutes ago and am still laughing at AF's "fainted clean away"... it has really, really tickled me. grin

defineme Mon 12-May-14 18:55:14

ibuprophen can reduce flow if that's helpful?

AnyFucker Mon 12-May-14 19:09:39

Small things, eh, Lying ? wink

get the smelling salts ready

I walked around the house laughing like a drain earlier on the Robert/Bob/Rob thread. It tickled me when someone said "phase it in, call him Brob for a while" (you'd need to have seen the thread to know what I am on about here...)

misog2000 Mon 12-May-14 19:13:48

That's what the shower is for surely? grin

misog2000 Mon 12-May-14 19:15:16

I mean during as opposed to after if you catch my drift

Maisie0 Mon 12-May-14 19:19:24

I can't believe you posted this icky question...
If he is an idiot, then it is time to say, as my mother says politely "my auntie is visiting, sorry".

Tsk...

If he is clever, the stare that you give during the time you said this, it will make him understand. If he is too idiotic to misunderstand this and says "I do not care", then dump him !

meditrina Mon 12-May-14 19:19:27

Wear a red camellia during your date.

And make sure he puts a thick, dark towel on top of the (hopefully clean) sheets and expensive mattress if you get lucky.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now