Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Happy Ever After stories please :)

(22 Posts)
fourlegstwolegs Sat 10-May-14 21:57:46

...especially if you are over 30. I am single at 36 with a young son and want to hear stories about people who are happily in love with wonderful men who truly love them back. I need to know it's out there.....
Thank you smile

Bananasandnutella Sat 10-May-14 22:57:16

Is like to hear of them too!

justmuddlingalong Sat 10-May-14 23:06:52

Met Dp aged 37. 7 years later happier than I've ever been. No dramas, no arguing, just a lovely, loving relationship. He is my happy ever after.

FloraSpreadableMacDonald Sun 11-May-14 01:21:26

My dp and i separated last year. I met a lovely guy OLD and we seem to really enjoy each other's company. A bonus is he's hot too! Makes my heart flutter....and Im 41. So there are nice guys out there x

MumofWombat Sun 11-May-14 04:05:29

I met my husband when I was 35. Almost five years later we have two beautiful, funny, clever children and my heart still misses a beat when he walks into the room.
He makes me feel, well like me! I've never felt that I should hide parts of my personality from him, which is different from any other relationship I've experienced and made me realise he was special!

BOFster Sun 11-May-14 04:35:43

Oh, you are actually really lucky- in your thirties, you know what you want, you are secure in your values, you've been around the block enough to spot the wankers and cut the bullshit. You don't have to compromise, and you will know a good thing when you see it.

I fell for my DP of nine years when we were both in our thirties and out of long-term relationships. It has genuinely been the love of our lives because we know what we want and how to appreciate it.

bouncinbean Sun 11-May-14 05:41:34

3 failed long term relationships and a fair few short term ones in between all ended badly. Had a year of being single then went on an activity holiday. Met and snogged a hot guy but thought no more of it as he seemed like he might be a player as the 'alpha male' of the group.
Returned home and he kept calling and texting. Long distance romance started. By the next year we were moving in together. In the second year we had a 'once in a lifetime' holiday where we started trying to make a baby. Now just 4 years on from the initial meet I am cuddling our 10 month daughter who's teething and a bit grumpy.
Feel truly blessed and loved, when 5 years ago I'd resigned myself to being single and had given up on men and having a family. Big 40 next year and am happier than I've ever been.

toyoungtodie Sun 11-May-14 08:12:57

I have been married for over 42 years and I my heart still leaps when I see my DH. My siblings also have not divorced and are also in long term marriages and outwardly seem happy. When I read the stuff on Mumsnet I know that it just must be the unhappy ones that are posting and there are some genuinely horrendous people about, but generally we are the architects of our own destruction. My mantra is ' keep your mouth shut , think before you speak or act and listen to your conscience/ heart' before acting. What happened to tolerance? Divorce damages children horribly.

DaffodilsandTruffles Sun 11-May-14 08:19:08

Met at school and have been together for over 20 years.

His is my best friend and his is funny, strong, brilliant and kind. He is a tremendous father and supports my goals. There's nothing we can't talk about.

He's not perfect neither am I but he's perfect for me.

mammadiggingdeep Sun 11-May-14 08:26:17

We are not all the architects of our destruction. In my case my ex was as he cheated, did respected and was quite emotionally abusive. Also...I did keep my mouth closed quite a lot, that was the problem I had to live on egg shells thinking before I spoke.

Op- I've read the responses with interest, I'm 36 with two young dc. Am in the same position as you- just to let you know you're not alone! flowers

SaltedCaramels Sun 11-May-14 08:26:47

Met my DP at 39, on guardian soulmates. Been together 6 years now and getting married this summer. Never been happier! I had really thought I wasn't cut out for long-term relationships - turns out I just hadn't met the right person. Many of my friends also found their soulmate in their late thirties - you know who you are, and it can be amazing - so stable, easy and 'sorted'.

SaltedCaramels Sun 11-May-14 08:33:24

Toyoungtodie - I think 'keep you mouth shut' is a terrible mantra for a relationship! I have had previous relationships where I was walking on eggshells and had to think before I spoke, and then often had to explain what I meant, etc. Hard work. This time round I say what I'm thinking and he seems to know when to take it seriously and when to tease me for BU and we laugh about it. And vice versa. Suits me perfectly.

Trebuchet Sun 11-May-14 08:42:34

Together 19 years married 11. We were both tits tbh but we grew and changed together. He is kind and thoughtful, we look after each other. He would never get a drink without asking me if I would like one, he thanks me for doing little things and every meal I cook he claims is restaurant quality. And he tells anyone and everyone including the dc how amazing I am. If anyone has tried it on in the past and I've told him, he laughs and says of course they would,you're gorgeous! Never gets jealous or controlling, just believes that the whole world would of course love me!! I've cocked up and made mistakes but we have worked through anything that raises it's head. I think he's the best man in the world, for me.

sunshineandhappy Sun 11-May-14 09:16:09

I was with my exH from the age of 16. Moved abroad for a couple of years in our 30's, and I was traded in for a much younger model. He didn't tell me for 5 years!
We split, and received the offer on our marital home on my 40th birthday. I honestly thought I would be single for ever. I was happily single for a couple of years, then dipped my toe in the dating world.
Met a couple of ok men, which was good for my confidence, then the love of my life. Been together nearly 3 years, in the process of buying a house together, and I am happier than I've ever been. He is the kindest, gentlest, sexiest man, and our relationship is brilliant.
It is possible, and I would say my success was down to being happy and fulfilled on my own, and being clear on what was not acceptable to me in a relationship.
Good luck OP

Onmyownwith4kids Sun 11-May-14 09:29:59

I found the architects of out own disruption and divorce damages children terribly judgemental and upsetting. I'm working hard to bring up 4 undamaged happy children. My husband's selfish affair was beyond my control. Shutting up staying quiet would not have changed things. But it has taught me to make the right choice if ever again. There are happy ever afters in your 30s. My mum met my stepdad in her 30s, widowed with 2 young children. 25 years on they're still happy and he's shown me there are lovely decent men out there.

nannynome Sun 11-May-14 09:43:55

He was my first bf at 16. We split up after a month. I spent the next 5 years dating and eventually came to the conclusion all men were insert expletives was single for 10 years after the last on cheated. Got back in contact with first bf 15 years on, 3 years later and he is now DH, we have our first DS, move into our own family home in 2 weeks and I am ridiculously happy. He has helped me gain back my self-esteem, tells me he loves me daily and is a wonderful man. Trust me, I had come to the conclusion there was utterly no point in relationships, how wrong I was!

nannynome Sun 11-May-14 09:48:03

Apologies for grammatical failings, am on phone. You get the gist though ;)

BecauseIsaidS0 Sun 11-May-14 09:55:32

By the time I turned 30, I'd had my heart broken pretty badly twice. I then embarked on a self-discovery journey: I travelled all over the world by myself, moved cities, changed came and went for short periods of time; nothing really ever 'catched' and at age 38 I resigned myself to the fact that I'd never get married or have kids, and made peace with that.

Then a kind, intelligent, sensitive man at work started making the right noises. First I didn't believe him, but then I realized that every time I saw him I ended up in a better mood than I was, so we eventually went on a first date, and talked for hours.

We got engaged ten months after that, and married last summer (I was 39). It will soon be our first year anniversary and I've never been happier in a calm, contented kind of way. It's bliss.

puddingontheritz Sun 11-May-14 12:01:51

Like saltedcaramels I met DH 6 years ago on Guardian soulmates at the age of 39. I had a baby at 42 and we got married last year. We scream and shout at each other sometimes but love each other and he never bores me.

AliceDoesntLiveHereAnymore Sun 11-May-14 12:58:03

keep your mouth shut , think before you speak or act and listen to your conscience/ heart' before acting. What happened to tolerance? Divorce damages children horribly.

What a horrible thing to say. Whatever happened to tolerance indeed? hmm I suppose I could have kept my mouth shut. But my STBXH was being physically and verbally abusive to my DCs, so I made him leave. Divorce has not damaged my children, their father did.

fourlegstwolegs Sun 11-May-14 17:11:17

I am heartened to hear the happy stories. I haven't got on well with OLD but will get out and about as much as I can this summer and keep my fingers crossed!

toyoungtodie Mon 12-May-14 23:27:07

This OP was asking for happy ever after stories wasn't it?
When I said keep your mouth shut etc, I did not mean about serious incidents in a marriage , such as abuse or violence. I meant about the small irritating stuff such as the my DH leaving the toilet seat up etc I can't see anything wrong with thinking before you speak etc. I think not constantly picking at my DH and asking myself ' what is important in this relationship? before I voiced whatever, has helped my marriages longevity.
My statement ' Divorce damages children horribly' got a few people going. Of course I know that a myriad of other things also affect children adversely. It is my experience however that everyone I know who has had parents who divorced, says it was a terrible experience , and did not long to go through it again. Perhaps on reflection the word 'damages' does feel like I meant that children can never survive. I did not mean that because they do survive. The outcome for the children depends on how their parents behave before, during and after their divorce.
Within a happy marriage I think we can be architects of its destruction. What I meant was , I know what makes my husband happy and I know what makes him unhappy. I can make a decision deliberately to make him unhappy. And to my shame on occasion I have made him unhappy deliberately. Well no one is perfect!
My remark , given the original post,(ie happyeverafterstories) was nothing to do with half of the partnership behaving totally out of order and making it intolerable for the marriage to continue. If that happens of course something has to be said and the innocent party is not the architect of the destruction of their marriage.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now