Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

You know you've been on MN Relationships too long when.... (Spoiler alert for 'Frozen')

(35 Posts)
CogitoEggySometimes Mon 21-Apr-14 15:39:07

.... you're watching 'Frozen' for the first time, the prince declares true love, proposes inside 24 hours and you say to no-one in particular 'well that's a red flag if ever I saw one.... he's rushing her'. Even more worrying when you're proved right - although shocked teenage DS now thinks I have special powers of prescience. smile

DustBunnyFarmer Tue 22-Apr-14 18:04:37

There was a feature about Frozen on Woman's Hour last week. The smallness of their waists was commented on, as was the idiocy of scaling mountains in heels.

Thetallesttower Tue 22-Apr-14 14:14:08

That's what I like about Frozen- the incredulity of Kristoff (the reindeer guy?) about Anna's declaration of true love after only a few moments. It's great, plus sisterly love, plus both princesses do not find a prince at the end.

Lots to like- now if they could have done something about the matchstick thin animation of the two sisters, it would have been even better.

WingDefence Tue 22-Apr-14 13:49:14

YY to Esio Trot. Horrible man!

Finola are you going to say anything to your friend?

onetiredfromthesugarhighmummy Tue 22-Apr-14 10:36:27

'Look at that, I've been impaled'! made me snigger but the north mountain passed me by sad

redundantandbitter Tue 22-Apr-14 10:28:24

God yea, I suppressed a Phnarr at "take me up north mountain"

50shadesofsummer I also snorted when that line popped up!

I told my daughter that the "princess" in Princess & the Pea was obviously not a real princess, because a real princess would never be so rude as to complain to her hosts about a bad night's sleep.

halfwildlingwoman Tue 22-Apr-14 08:34:39

I studied fairytales and metaphor on my degree course and there is a Freudian theory about Jack's beanstalk and masturbation. His mother gets very angry about the magic beans but actually there is nothing wrong with it.....

halfwildlingwoman Tue 22-Apr-14 08:32:46

Well, I am deeply unhappy with Roald Dahl's Esio Trot, in which an awkward socially inept man tricks a vulnerable pretty woman into falling in love with him by kidnapping her tortoise and abusing several other tortoises along the way.

50ShadesOfSummer Tue 22-Apr-14 07:37:59

Was I the only one to supress a snigger when the main character (sorry, not learnt the names yet even though DD keeps playing the damned DVD) shouts I want you to take me up the north mountain ?

CogitoEggySometimes Tue 22-Apr-14 07:27:26

The metaphors in Sleeping Beauty are about as subtle as a house-brick. Blood, prickly forests, 'true love's kiss'. BTW... I always thought the Princess and the Pea was about spotting an easily-bruising haemophiliac. Big feature of European royal families...

Bogeyface Tue 22-Apr-14 03:16:50

Nutella sadly it is true.

All of the old tales are about sex when it comes down to it. All the heroines are stuck in a hellish existence (single, periods blah) until they are "rescued" , married, have sex and get pregnant.

NutellaLawson Tue 22-Apr-14 03:01:04

pea and virginity? a tenuous link, I'd say.

I think it is more to do with letting us peasants know that the upper crust are fundamentally, biologically different from us. It stops us getting ideas about social mobility or having a 'their shit stinks, too' mentality.

Poughle Tue 22-Apr-14 02:56:49

I've just watched frozen too. Three times in the past 2 days.

I knew he was a baddie as soon as I saw those sideburns.

Bogeyface Tue 22-Apr-14 01:29:32

I tell a lie, Lion King. Simba's girlfriend can take care of herself.

Bogeyface Tue 22-Apr-14 01:28:33

I cant think of a single Disney film that isnt positively scarlet from all the red flags!

Even the so called "Feminist" heroines are still rescued at some point.

And dont get me started on Snow Fucking White or Cinder Bastard Ella!

AndTheBandPlayedOn Tue 22-Apr-14 00:47:24

Ha, not Cognito, Cogito. blush

AndTheBandPlayedOn Tue 22-Apr-14 00:44:32

Yes, Cognito, same reaction for Frozen.

Also in reading the children's book "The Giving Tree"...such a display of a codependent (tree) and all about me and my wants/needs dynamic. By the end of it I was (silently) telling the bloke to f-off already.

redundantandbitter Mon 21-Apr-14 23:57:04

Omg - yes! Frozen was my eldest DDs Easter present from me. Watched it yesterday. I immediately said "what? , she's only just met him"

My dd laughed (she's seen the film at cinema with exp).. "Just wait and see mum". And I was right, and disappointed.

Then we watched Turbo. Not so many red flags.

MadBusLady Mon 21-Apr-14 23:00:42

Yy to Rebecca, definitely a girl with low self-esteem being dominated by a higher status man! I think his actual proposal line is something like "I'm asking you to marry me, you little fool".

AllDirections Mon 21-Apr-14 22:08:09

Well he well and truly had me. I was soooo shocked when he showed what he was really like and actually I'm still really upset about it.

I'm also not very happy with myself at all, I've been on mumsnet for ages and I didn't recognise the signs sad

KouignAmann Mon 21-Apr-14 21:58:33

I watched the original film of Jane Eyre and shouted at her to avoid Mr Rochester as he is festooned in red flags! The whole film is about an abused child being groomed for an abusive adult relationship.
I thought the same about du Maurier's Rebecca as well. Funny how many classic books are about abuse.

DustBunnyFarmer - I had a vague idea it was something like that, but I don't think my five year old is quite ready for that level of reality in her fairy tales grin

PlantsAndFlowers Mon 21-Apr-14 21:12:59

I watched Frozen last night and thought the exact same thing!

DustBunnyFarmer Mon 21-Apr-14 20:49:51

DocMcStuffins - you do know the pea & mattresses thing is a metaphor for whether the princess is a virgin or not (and therefore suitable marriage material)? Feeling the pea = virgin. Knock yourself out with that that double standard about sexual experience.

Also Jack & Jill: "Jack fell down and broke his crown [= popped his cherry] and Jill went tumbling after" [= DTD with Jill and she lost hers].

Folk tales and nursery rhymes are pure filth, I tell you.

mammadiggingdeep Mon 21-Apr-14 20:37:52

Ha!! Me too cog. Thought he was a wrong un straight away...red flags a plenty. Was quite chuffed when my suspicions came true. Good old MN!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now