Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

You know you've been on MN Relationships too long when.... (Spoiler alert for 'Frozen')

(35 Posts)
CogitoEggySometimes Mon 21-Apr-14 15:39:07

.... you're watching 'Frozen' for the first time, the prince declares true love, proposes inside 24 hours and you say to no-one in particular 'well that's a red flag if ever I saw one.... he's rushing her'. Even more worrying when you're proved right - although shocked teenage DS now thinks I have special powers of prescience. smile

CogitoEggySometimes Tue 22-Apr-14 07:27:26

The metaphors in Sleeping Beauty are about as subtle as a house-brick. Blood, prickly forests, 'true love's kiss'. BTW... I always thought the Princess and the Pea was about spotting an easily-bruising haemophiliac. Big feature of European royal families...

50ShadesOfSummer Tue 22-Apr-14 07:37:59

Was I the only one to supress a snigger when the main character (sorry, not learnt the names yet even though DD keeps playing the damned DVD) shouts I want you to take me up the north mountain ?

halfwildlingwoman Tue 22-Apr-14 08:32:46

Well, I am deeply unhappy with Roald Dahl's Esio Trot, in which an awkward socially inept man tricks a vulnerable pretty woman into falling in love with him by kidnapping her tortoise and abusing several other tortoises along the way.

halfwildlingwoman Tue 22-Apr-14 08:34:39

I studied fairytales and metaphor on my degree course and there is a Freudian theory about Jack's beanstalk and masturbation. His mother gets very angry about the magic beans but actually there is nothing wrong with it.....

worldgonecrazy Tue 22-Apr-14 08:46:29

50shadesofsummer I also snorted when that line popped up!

I told my daughter that the "princess" in Princess & the Pea was obviously not a real princess, because a real princess would never be so rude as to complain to her hosts about a bad night's sleep.

redundantandbitter Tue 22-Apr-14 10:28:24

God yea, I suppressed a Phnarr at "take me up north mountain"

onetiredfromthesugarhighmummy Tue 22-Apr-14 10:36:27

'Look at that, I've been impaled'! made me snigger but the north mountain passed me by sad

WingDefence Tue 22-Apr-14 13:49:14

YY to Esio Trot. Horrible man!

Finola are you going to say anything to your friend?

Thetallesttower Tue 22-Apr-14 14:14:08

That's what I like about Frozen- the incredulity of Kristoff (the reindeer guy?) about Anna's declaration of true love after only a few moments. It's great, plus sisterly love, plus both princesses do not find a prince at the end.

Lots to like- now if they could have done something about the matchstick thin animation of the two sisters, it would have been even better.

DustBunnyFarmer Tue 22-Apr-14 18:04:37

There was a feature about Frozen on Woman's Hour last week. The smallness of their waists was commented on, as was the idiocy of scaling mountains in heels.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now