Note: Mumsnetters don't necessarily have the qualifications or experience to offer relationships counselling or to provide help in cases of domestic violence. Mumsnet can't be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Those of you having marital problems, come here, (a bit woo)

(10 Posts)
GreggsOnLegs Sat 05-Apr-14 00:16:53

I read somewhere (I think it was here actually), some posters having marital problems suddenly developed skin irritation that prevented them wearing their wedding rings. I didn't think much of it at the time. Last year me and dh had a rocky patch and went to couples counseling, I was talking to a friend about this today and she said she'd noticed things weren't right as I'd stopped wearing my wedding ring. I'd actually stopped wearing it because it was itchy and sore to wear, after our problems were resolved though I could wear it again with no issues. Also thinking back over the course of our relationship, when there had been issues it had happened but I'd never noticed the ( now obvious ) pattern.
I told her this and she said that the same thing happened when her and her ex husband split, with not being able to wear her ring.

How common is this?

pigsDOfly Sat 05-Apr-14 00:36:15

I think a lot of women will fiddle with rings if they are nervous or tense and perhaps if their marriages are a bit rocky their wedding rings may become a bit of a focus point.

Could it be that which is causing the irritation in some cases?

LowLevelWhinging Sat 05-Apr-14 00:40:21

what pigs said.

And also, stress can be a trigger for eczema or irritated skin.

or, distressed people are more likely to take an adequate diet or fluid intake.

And you're more likely to pay attention to your wedding ring when you're worried about your marriage.

LowLevelWhinging Sat 05-Apr-14 00:41:01

sorry, 'more likely to take an inadequate diet'

DioneTheDiabolist Sat 05-Apr-14 00:43:15

Mine felt like it was actually burning my finger, so off it came. I thought I had developed an allergy.

I had. To him.

Ill be buggered, this happened to me when I was wed to dickhead ex h.But only towards the end,I wore it for a few years no problem

I have no problems wearing the wedding ring I got when I married Dh and have had no problems for 11 years

LesserOfTwoWeevils Sat 05-Apr-14 04:25:17

No wedding rings involved but when I went through a v rough patch with ex-DP I developed eczema on my hands.

Not at all woo, it's aggravated by stress.

bouncyagain Sat 05-Apr-14 06:17:30

For the last 9 years of my 10 year marriage (!) I had an unpleasant skin condition. Nothing could shift it. Within 3 months of her ending the marriage, it had gone. It has never come back.

It wasn't wedding rings, but you get the idea.

Logg1e Sat 05-Apr-14 06:43:04

If you don't think it's to do with stress, poor diet and unconscious fiddling, what do you think it is? What is the "woo" reason?

evangelinelily Sat 05-Apr-14 07:48:00

We are having problems and I have a rash exactly where my rings go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now