Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Daters/Online daters - what comments/behaviour instantly think "nope?"

(304 Posts)

I'm mildly addicted to flicking through profiles on POF. Rarely meet anyone. Sometimes I end up chatting to people but mostly I barely even continue past a few messages. I know I'm intolerant but so many things annoy me:
* Self-proclaimed music snobs who send you links to "awesome" bands and have a 30 strong list of the most obscure bands possible on their profile. Hate being forced to listen to some else's music - it just guarantees I will dislike it.
* Men who try so hard to sound reasonable and "modern man" but slip up with gems such as "I don't mind you having your own career," or "looking for a passionate girl but not TOO opinionated, lol."
* Anyone who tells anyone to "jog on" (cringe)
*People who message, then follow it up five minutes later with "You there?" "Not talking then?" or "Oh...ok then....bye."

What are your instant turn-offs?

Disclaimer - I'm very aware I'm not perfect and probably have many irritating aspects to my personality!

confuddledDOTcom Sat 26-Apr-14 12:25:03

No! I swiped him left! I was leaning towards the right until I saw that hmm

HellonHeels Fri 25-Apr-14 23:54:48

Please tell me he's not the freak foot man, confuddled!

confuddledDOTcom Fri 25-Apr-14 22:13:27

Told you I should have changed my name! I can't understand why someone would want that as their Tinder profile, I swiped left (are you surprised?)

Thanks LyndaCarter. I need to get myself back to the GP when I get chance.

I met an absolutely lovely guy this week, couldn't believe how much we are alike or think the same. I'm going to start taking him to work with me grin I've had this little joke running that there is a thread (not said where) to review men - meaning here of course. Told him he's getting a really bad rating.

AdeleNazeem Thu 24-Apr-14 19:25:21

on a par with fishing pics to me are men who post photos of their cars. I don't give a shit what you drive, I'm just looking for a nice person!!!

(and men with sports cars?? please. Screams mid life crisis or penis inadequacy!)

HellonHeels Thu 24-Apr-14 12:04:35

Fucking HELL what is that foot?!

Gay mate of mine has showed me some scary pics on a gay dating / shagging app, including a doc martens boot standing on someone's face. The foot beats that though, I think.

Maisie0 Thu 24-Apr-14 10:20:57

Confuddled What ? That is an odd photo. It looks repulsive. I am sure it is a case of someone doing that for a laugh or something, or someone who is a bit sadistic. Ick.

Maisie0 Thu 24-Apr-14 10:15:13

This online dating thing is starting to freak me out.
So far, I've had 2 bisexuals messaging me, and then a weird female messaging me today again. I can't even find the strength to check her message or profile. This is soooo wrong. I'm sorry, please read the profiles ! I do not get it. Why do people take the mick ???

LyndaCartersBigPants Wed 23-Apr-14 10:07:29

Sorry confuddled, by 'expert' I assumed you were a doctor! Hope they sort it out soon.

btw that foot picture is putting me off my breakfast.

AdeleNazeem Wed 23-Apr-14 02:07:53

good lord

..... It looks like I am gonna stay single forever !!

EBearhug Sun 20-Apr-14 21:13:29

Ah - so you think you've got something in common to talk about then? wink

confuddledDOTcom Sun 20-Apr-14 18:57:18

I'm giggling so loudly here!

I won't tell you the message he attached to it, I don't think he was wanting me to look.

By expert I mean I'm waiting for surgery for one that gets very large and painful occasionally. I have got a few of those pictures because the doctors asked me to keep an eye on how big it is and it's easier to take a picture than get a mirror at the right angle. It's not actually as hard as you'd think. I generally don't talk about my blood clot to new guys grin I always hate when they start asking questions because I don't want to say actually I have a massive blood clot I'm waiting for doctors to get around to removing and they think my thrombophilia is a good reason to take their time about it.

MadeMan Sun 20-Apr-14 14:06:04

"Do you think that's why he sent it? Did you mention that you're an expert?!"

Perhaps the choice was to either send his anus picture to confuddled or that bloke off Embarrassing Bodies.

EBearhug Sun 20-Apr-14 13:58:39

I'm trying to figure out the logistics of photographing one's own anus.

I think you probably need to be a yoga expert.

I'm trying to figure out the logistics of photographing one's own anus. Presumably you'd need 2 hands to spread the cheeks....which begs the question.....how do you approach your friend and say, "mate, give us a hand with something would you?"

SassySpice Sun 20-Apr-14 12:50:24

Ew. Just no.

LyndaCartersBigPants Sun 20-Apr-14 11:55:18

Do you think that's why he sent it? Did you mention that you're an expert?!

LyndaCartersBigPants Sun 20-Apr-14 11:54:54

Oh please do, that would be hilarious!

confuddledDOTcom Sun 20-Apr-14 10:13:24

I've found since I first was doing online dating 10 years ago, guys seem to be a lot more obsessed with anal.

This guy has what looks like thrombosis (from an expert blush) I'm trying to decide if I should tell him

Really? His anus? WHY?? That blows cock pics out of the water, to be honest....!!

confuddledDOTcom Sun 20-Apr-14 08:53:38

Just had someone send me a picture of his anus... Just wondering if I should mention to him he ought to see a doctor blush

BitOutOfPractice Wed 16-Apr-14 10:10:36

Oh my good god confuddled shock

confuddledDOTcom Tue 15-Apr-14 20:57:34

Maybe I should change my name so I don't get forever saddled with this picture...

Genuine Tinder profile.

MiscellaneousAssortment Mon 14-Apr-14 20:27:02

Good lord I will be using this thread if/when I decide to date again. You really have to be in the right mood don't you!

confuddledDOTcom Mon 14-Apr-14 17:04:15

I agree with softkitty.

Oh, the photographer is now talking to me lol

I want to know why so many guys are obsessed with anal and bareback (together or separately). I generally don't answer those unless I'm in the mood to play with them. Are we really over 30 years into HIV, do people really not know condoms? Such a shame that I'm a thrombophiliac so not on the pill, eh? And no anal isn't an exception, I have a child that proves you don't need PIV to make a baby (I don't actually know how we made him because we weren't having sex at that point).

balenciaga Mon 14-Apr-14 00:22:55

I don't see my dcs anymore but it's not my fault waah

Soooo many of them on pof in my brief foray into O.D ...sigh

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now