Note: Mumsnetters don't necessarily have the qualifications or experience to offer relationships counselling or to provide help in cases of domestic violence. Mumsnet can't be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Icebreaker activities to encourage positive vibes

(12 Posts)
WhereOWhere Fri 07-Mar-14 21:17:41

I know this is different from most Relationships threads, but wasn't sure where else to put it.

I've been asked to do some regular training at work - just basic mandatory training in this and that - nothing remotely high powered.

I'd like to start the training off with some ice breaker type activities that encourage some positive relationships/vibes within the group (usually about 10 or 12 fairly junior staff) - really to stop them looking so bloody miserable disinterested and make the session (about 4 hours) more enjoyable for us all. They mostly don't know each other well.

Anyone do this sort of thing or had any experience of something that works well?

CailinDana Fri 07-Mar-14 21:26:53

Divide into pairs, the pairs talk to each other for a few minutes then each member introduces and talks about their partner to the whole group. Easier than talking about yourself.

Stillcomingtoterms Fri 07-Mar-14 21:33:56

Pair them up and get them to find something they both gave in common.

Put all chairs in a circle enought for all of them , take away one chair. One person starts off and they have to say one thing they've done ie watched titanic, had an operation, failed driving test. Everyone else who's done the same has to quickly swop chairs in a clockwise position. Who ever is left without the chair then has to be the person to come up with the next scenario/question. We've done this and it breaks the ice really well

Jakadaal Fri 07-Mar-14 22:23:38

Buy some postcards (ikea is ideal) with various scenes in - skylines, seascapes, animals etc. everyone chooses one that they feel represents them and then feedback to rest of group. Or ask them to draw themselves as a cartoon character - usually gets people chatting and laughing

Scarletohello Fri 07-Mar-14 22:28:23

I used to be a trainer and I've used a variant of the exercise Stillcoming to mentioned. It works really well. We had a different name for it tho, was called " pink knickers"! ( ie anyone who's wearing pink knickers swap places...)

It gets people energised and laughing and in a good mood. Only problem is people don't want to stop!

Good luck and have fun! smile

Hoppinggreen Fri 07-Mar-14 23:02:53

You could pair them up and get them to interview each other. They then have to give a presentation on the other person

WhereOWhere Fri 07-Mar-14 23:25:29

Great ideas grin

Dirtybadger Fri 07-Mar-14 23:37:56

If I were being trained I would prefer the postcards thing. I have done as Dana says several times and been really uncomfortable. Not a fan of icebreakers at all tbh (social anxiety, would prefer to talk to people on my own terms and don't like disclosing things about myself to strangers) but maybe that's just me. I am comfortable with saying my name...

DisgraceToTheYChromosome Sat 08-Mar-14 07:49:35

Do NOT play "what's the weirdest thing you've eever done?"

The answer may include "Black Country motel", "pre-op MTF transsexual", "blind drunk" and "bent credit card".

Oh yes.

Some options:
- give your name and an explanation of it (where it comes from, what it means, how you feel about it)
- say something nobody else in the room knows about you
- throwing beanbags - start in pairs, then fours, then the whole group. Leader doesn't coordinate this - the learners have to
- bingo: this only works if the leader knows a bit about everyone. Everyone gets a bingo card with various non-difficult facts about people. They have to mingle and find other people who meet those criteria. The criteria should be a mixed bag: - is from Hull - has at least one child - works in IT - doesn't know how to swim etc.

WhereOWhere Sat 08-Mar-14 09:05:11

We're going to have so much fun grin

Each person has to write down three things about them. Two truths and one lie. Everyone else has to identify the lie.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now