Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Why do I always become the bad one?

(40 Posts)
JackieOHH Thu 06-Mar-14 09:29:24

Hi, over the past few years I've had fall outs with friends or with other mums at oops activities...the reasons are quite often the same, I stand up for what I believe in, I stand up for my children and myself.
I don't drag it on, I don't make a big issue of whatever the problem is, I simply state my case and that's it for me. Yet every single time I go from being the wronged person to being the evil bitch every one turns against and talks about.
The most recent thing, I complained to the class trainer about the behaviour of another boy in the class, ( this boy is renowned for bullying, and general disrespect for everyone, including the trainer). Next thing I know I'm the one ostracised, nobody spoke to me last night at the class, and I get evil glares from said boy.
One particular other mum has moaned about this boy for years, slagging him and his parents off, yet suddenly her and bully's mum are like best freinds!!!

I'm so sick of this. I don't back stab, I don't slag people off behind their back, I simply feel if there's a problem I address it as best I can.
Now I'm upset by this, but I'm more bothered that my son will want to quit this class because of this, a class he loves, and is very good at.

I'm just so exhausted by this, always being the baddy, when I've really not done anything any other parent wouldn't do.
Does anyone else ever get this?
Maybe I'm a psycho dragon bitch? I know that somewhere along the line the problem lies with me, but I can't help wanting to protect my kids!

BTW I've just reported someone at work and she may be sacked as others came forward after me. So you never know some may get brave and talk?

JackieOHH Thu 06-Mar-14 12:43:54

Sadly there's not really anyone above him to complain to, & I really don't want to anyway.
I'm hoping more people will speak up but it's extremely doubtful, as they're all 2 faced unfortunately.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Thu 06-Mar-14 12:46:16

You never know if word gets out another parent may quietly tell you they're glad you spoke up.

Shame. I hate two faced people. Best of luck you sound like a great mam.

Anomaly Thu 06-Mar-14 12:59:10

I think if your eleven year old son is worried about you kicking off then maybe you need to work on how you bring up issues with other people. I can't stand wishy washy people but people who go over the top to put their point across can end up becoming a problem.

Lweji Thu 06-Mar-14 13:37:50

So, what happens when you kick off?

There is a difference between being assertive and kicking off.

RiojaHaze Thu 06-Mar-14 13:44:38

This happened to me a few years ago within my friendship group. The whole group had an issue with something one person was doing, I spoke up about it thinking they all were behind me but then they all turned on me making me look like the bad one!

It's made me realise how two-faced people are, and there are a lot of people pleasers who will just agree with the person they are with at the time. I'm still friends with them but knowing what they can be like I'm careful with what I say.

JackieOHH Thu 06-Mar-14 13:50:03

Lweji...we say kick off but to be honest I'm not shouty ( my disability means I can't shout), and certainly not violent. I think it's because no one else ever seems to stand up & speak out, and so my son only ever sees me doing it.
Rioja....it's hard isn't it? You think you're the voice of everyone then suddenly you're the outcast.
Certainly makes me see,again, that I'm a rarity in that I will not be 2 faced & go behind people's backs but will say what I think.

sonjadog Thu 06-Mar-14 13:53:43

You might be coming across differently than you think you do. From your OP, I think this has happened to you more than once, right? If I were you, I'd ask some friends for their honest opinion about why they think it is happening. How you see yourself is not always the same as how others see you.

Most people I have known who take pride in always saying what they think, come off much more aggressively and rudely than they realise.

Society actually depends on people not always saying what they think. Think of the carnage if everyone were perfectly honest all the time!

I think it's better to focus less on saying what you think, and more on getting what you want. Sometimes being brutally honest is helpful. Sometimes a quiet word is more effective. Sometimes putting up with a problem is better than making things worse.

My own mother taught me to stand up for myself, and I am grateful for that. But she only taught me how to do it in a way that was very confrontational and dramatic, nothing was ever her fault, she was just being honest, etc. This was a huge handicap for me when I left home and tried to navigate school and work.

I think if you're always the bad guy it's worth thinking about why that is. You can stand up for yourself without alienating everybody constantly.

HelenHen Thu 06-Mar-14 14:37:17

Ah Jackie I know how ya feel. I hate two faced bitch people and I too have fallen for the manipulative 'do my dirty work' cows. Some people turn it into an art form. My ds is only 20 months so I don't have to deal with schools yet but I've resolved myself to being polite when it comes to dealing with school stuff as I don't wanna embarrass the kids or make them lose friends cos I can't get on with everyone! I've only got a few friends but they are real friends and I know exactly where I stand with them. I've no time for those other people.

Fuck it!

JackieOHH Thu 06-Mar-14 14:45:32

The way it was done originally though wAs quietly....I simply messaged the trainer, politely and calmly outlining the issue and said I trusted his judgement to deal with it. Sadly he dealt with it badly (IMO), and I feel he should've explained to the parents WHY he was warning the boys, but he didn't. So they then came at me asking what there darlings had done & I calmly tried to explain, but they weren't having it, as their kids can do no wrong. One parent shouted at me aggressively so I (as best I can) shouted back. Now I'm the bad one.

I don't. Always say what I think, but if asked I don't lie, & if I've a problem I deal with it by going thru the proper channels.

JOHH did the trainer break your confidentiality?

JackieOHH Fri 07-Mar-14 09:41:46

freakin I don't know? I've not thought of that. Mainly because I don't really know what was said to the boys. But as soon as he'd 'had words' they knew it was concerning my son and straight away went to moan to their parents about the injustice of it all. Then parents knew it was me so yes, I suppose he did. Not actually sure what I can do about that tho?!

Thought so. I hope it all calms down soon for you and your son.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now