Note: Mumsnetters don't necessarily have the qualifications or experience to offer relationships counselling or to provide help in cases of domestic violence. Mumsnet can't be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

he doesnt love me anymore and wont work to sort it out is he having an affair?

(25 Posts)

my husband was being very cold to me then eventually told me he doesnt love me anymore, i am too untidy and dont prioritise him. he know says i have done everything i can to put it right but its too late...we are ended...he had affair when he was married before (left his first wife then went back)...do you think he is having an affair or do you think it doesnt actually matter what the cause of him not loving me is?

JoinYourPlayfellows Wed 19-Feb-14 14:34:42

Sounds like history is repeating itself.

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 19-Feb-14 14:37:30

The way I see it, love is a very personal thing. If he has simply stopped loving you that's his business and not something you could influence. If he has replaced you with someone else he should be honest. What is unacceptable, however, is to give you a great long run-down of your alleged 'faults' that have caused this change of heart. It's cruel and cowardly.

So don't let him stick around to give you more of these excuses dressed up as character assassination. Tell him to go.

hermionepotter Wed 19-Feb-14 14:37:53

sounds like a possibility tbh. No doubt he doesn't expect it to work both ways ie him prioritising you hmm

OddFodd Wed 19-Feb-14 14:44:11

Well, judging by the threads I read on here, it seems very likely that he is. sad

Will he not have counselling?

SerenaBracken Wed 19-Feb-14 14:46:32

He doesn't love you anymore because you're untidy? That's a reason not to re-let with a flat mate, not give up on a marriage.
You haven't mentioned children, thank God. Would he stop loving them too if they left their toys out?
You don't prioritise him? OMG and boohoohoo.

None of that matters though as he said it's over, so you need to take some practical steps. Tell your family and friends as you will need them around you at this sad time, and find a solicitor.

dollius Wed 19-Feb-14 15:04:55

Yes, I do think he is having an affair. Very sorry, love

WhateverTrevor83 Wed 19-Feb-14 15:14:58

Oh I'm sorry thanks

Does it matter if he's having an affair? He's already said he doesn't love you. Not sure I'd want to know. You're 'untidy'? What an absolute arsehole he is saying that as an explanation.

Sounds like 'the script' being played out to me.
Doesn't love you anymore.
Turning it around to be your fault to justify his behaviour.
Etc...
Etc....
Do you have children together?
Do you have shared ownership of the house?
I think a call to CAB and a solicitor is the order of the day.
I'm so sorry you are going through this.
So many of us have been where you are so keep posting for support.

Jan45 Wed 19-Feb-14 15:51:36

Very lame excuses which I would assume meant yes he is having an affair.

handfulofcottonbuds Wed 19-Feb-14 15:58:28

I'm so sorry.

My stbxh acted and said exactly the same way out of the blue and refused to try and work things out as he couldn't 'fix' it. Although he said he was bored of us going to the supermarket every weekend. I'm divorcing him for adultery, which I found out 2 months after his bombshell.

If your H has done it before, I'm afraid you need to trust your instincts.

Londonfirsttime2014 Wed 19-Feb-14 15:58:42

Yep sounds like it, similar shit I was dished up a few weeks ago.

DrJeanGrey Wed 19-Feb-14 16:08:31

The way I see it, love is a very personal thing. If he has simply stopped loving you that's his business and not something you could influence. If he has replaced you with someone else he should be honest. What is unacceptable, however, is to give you a great long run-down of your alleged 'faults' that have caused this change of heart. It's cruel and cowardly.

I would agree with that. It's hard to see it now but the "why" of him not loving you and being so vile is not that important. It's still happening.

I have experienced first hand the capability of a cowardly bastard person to actually blame you for their own shortcomings. It's a nice way to pass over guilt and it's very common.

Lovingfreedom Wed 19-Feb-14 16:11:24

Yes I'm afraid you are getting the 'you're so untidy it's no wonder I had to shag someone else'...what a heartless coward.

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 19-Feb-14 16:11:43

When it gets even more cruel and cowardly is when you are told that not only have you been replaced but that the new person is (allegedly) vastly superior... hmm Don't stick around for that conversation. It's a killer.

SerenaBracken Wed 19-Feb-14 16:23:27

When all love and respect has gone, he'll be thinking the new one's untidiness is just comfortable.

handfulofcottonbuds Wed 19-Feb-14 16:28:52

iamtoooldforallofthis - are you okay?

It can't be easy reading this, no matter whether you think it might be the case. I know it's hard, lots of us here do.

DrJeanGrey Wed 19-Feb-14 17:51:30

Yes, lots of us do know what this feel like. Hence the anger directed at your husband. You're not alone in this - so many have been through it. It's hard to hear because I can remember exactly what you feel like inside.

I do think it would be helpful if you provided a bit more background information. Such as whether he is prone to cruelty, what he is usually like, if there have been any changes in the relationship recently.

Of course none of us know if he is having an affair. It's just a familiar scenario.

Mine was not having an affair for what it's worth. He was just an arsehole!

Offred Wed 19-Feb-14 17:55:16

It is probable although not really that important as far as you are concerned. The relationship is over either way. Don't stand for him trying to come back.

Cringechilli Wed 19-Feb-14 17:57:09

It is pretty common for a man to say he just doesn't love you any more but secretly he's having an affair. Not always the case though.

elizalovelace Wed 19-Feb-14 18:36:55

The sad fact is he no longer loves you,or wants to be with you.Its hard I know but you will have to somehow come to terms with this and learn to move on with dignity.He dosent sound like much of a partner anyway tbh.Take care of yourself op, you deserve better.

thank you to you all....we have children (2 each) but they are grown up...i work full time am doing a phd and have grandchildren i like to see...he got p'd off with my havng them stay (even though i had told him this was the case when i met him....in fact he had said "i dont want to take anything from your life just bring to it)....i actually would rather he was having an affair because otherwise its all my fault....i have good friends and two lovely supportive daughters so my life was full aand rich before i met him and it can be again....but i adored him.

handfulofcottonbuds no i am not ok...

DrJeanGrey Wed 19-Feb-14 19:12:18

No matter what happens, it's not even partly your fault.

Relationships have problems.

People talk about it.

People work on them.

No one leaves someone because they are untidy.

sixlive Wed 19-Feb-14 19:16:24

You sound like you have a very full life. I would split do you own your house ask him to move out so he can be tidy on his own. If there is a OW it's not your fault. History does tend to repeat itself but you probably really knew that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now