Note: Mumsnetters don't necessarily have the qualifications or experience to offer relationships counselling or to provide help in cases of domestic violence. Mumsnet can't be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

'Single-phobia'...

(27 Posts)
CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 17-Feb-14 11:40:05

Are you suffering from 'single-phobia'? Do you believe that a woman without a man is a failure or a lesser being? Do you see independence as a terrifying or socially unacceptable prospect? Do you believe the Daily Mail stereotype of single women being automatically poor and their children automatically on a fast-track to a prison cell? Have you been scornful or judgemental about single women in the past and are now afraid to join their ranks? Is any partner better than no partner? Is 'single-phobia' holding you back from achieving your full potentially or keeping you trapped in an unhappy relationship?

Help is at hand... smile

Allofaflumble Mon 17-Feb-14 23:32:17

I love being single - just out of a seven year relationship, four of which were wasted in the sense I wish I had done it earlier so I could have enjoyed this bliss feeling.

I feel much more me being single. Being with a partner fragments my brain. I feel more secure being alone. I do worry about the future, money etc. But that's the only downside and feeling whole more than makes up for it. Being single is a vocation. smile

KouignAmann Mon 17-Feb-14 23:45:14

I was with my H for 27 years and grew up with him. At 50 I left and have had 3 happy years becoming a happy independent whole person. I know know what my own tastes are and what I like to eat/watch on TV and listen to! I have really enjoyed this time and it has done me so much good. I have met a lovely DP and am considering setting up home with him but I am in no rush as life on my own is very sweet. He will have to persuade me life with him will be better and stop being such a messy bugger

Anyone dithering on the brink of becoming single don't be afraid! It is life enhancing and liberating.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now