Note: Mumsnetters don't necessarily have the qualifications or experience to offer relationships counselling or to provide help in cases of domestic violence. Mumsnet can't be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Partner living in a caravan

(140 Posts)
Milly101 Sat 15-Feb-14 22:26:08

My partner of 18 months lives in a touring caravan moving it from site to every 3/4 weeks, any time I've asked him why he lives this way al he ever does is shrugg his shoulders and say " cause I like it " I've seen his invoices/bank statements and he earns in excess of £1000 a week so it's not financial , I just find it very weird. For the record he is lovely in every other way considerate a good listener kind and generous. Would this bother you ?

Lweji Sun 23-Feb-14 08:36:38

Congratulations. smile

Although, the bungalow should be a joint purchase, no?

Joysmum Sun 23-Feb-14 10:02:56

That's brilliant news. I too hope this is a joint purchase/joint decision so you have equal footing.

BeCool Sun 23-Feb-14 21:01:57

wow amazing!!
congratulations Milly

horsetowater Mon 24-Feb-14 16:59:40

That's such good news. I knew he wasn't a scoundrel. At least he doesn't live with his Mum and has a bit of independence.

Don't rush into anything house-buying wise. Remember it's best to share a property if you can. He must really love you a lot to go and put an offer in a house on the account of a bunch of old mumsnetters smile (You do realise we are mostly old.)

horsetowater Mon 24-Feb-14 17:08:18

OMG just checked back and he's 36 - young, but not boy racer young. He's old enough to be prepared to give up the pot and talk about starting a family of his own. smile

Congratulations thanks

AmazingJumper Mon 24-Feb-14 17:42:36

Wow, that's brilliant! Now we know what the money was being saved for!

Milly101 Mon 24-Feb-14 21:20:42

He wants to buy the house outright says there's no point in having a mortgage over our heads when we don't need to but he will put my name on the deeds to the house smile

Jackthebodiless Mon 24-Feb-14 22:04:55

Friend's bf lives in a stone hut because he likes it. He owns the land and There's a house on it but he likes his hut. He's a bit of a free spirit, but so is friend, and it suits them.

horsetowater Mon 24-Feb-14 23:45:48

I think you've hit the jackpot there Milly. Someone who doesn't buy until they've saved is a very rare find these days. Most people are saddled with thousands worth of debt by the time they are 36.

You're not making this up are you? Or he? It sounds almost too good to be true. He's giving you half his life savings. Are you bringing anything to the table yourself - do you have assets etc?

anapitt Tue 25-Feb-14 00:03:31

nice !

FabBakerGirl Fri 28-Mar-14 18:16:17

I think it is obvious why he lives the way he does.

When are you moving into your new house?

Have read your other thread. I really hope you are safe with this man.

FabBakerGirl Fri 28-Mar-14 18:24:59

Just seen the marriage announcement. Blimey.

Sparklysilversequins Fri 28-Mar-14 18:36:19

I would LOVE to do this.

Congrats btw grin

something2say Sat 29-Mar-14 08:47:37

I've got a very bad feeling about this.

I once hung around with people on the travelers scene. The free party scene. I was square and ha a full time job and went to bed early to read books, and wanted to see what it was like to be free and live in the woods and stuff like that.

Very soon I saw the underbelly. People hiding. From what? Drugs, drink, depression, suicide, children being removed, children growing up terribly. I hated it. I didn't get involved and don't bigger at all now.

Yes I still like a field of flowers and a guitar but that's it.

This man was living on the run. Why? He has deliberately misled you.

The only thing I can advise since you have bought the house with him / got mixed up with him is.....keep your friends nod save money in case you need to run.

And if you do need to run, then remember your misgivings and realise why life gives them to you- for good reason. All the best.

something2say Sat 29-Mar-14 08:48:18

Don't bother - sorry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now