Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Partner living in a caravan

(140 Posts)
Milly101 Sat 15-Feb-14 22:26:08

My partner of 18 months lives in a touring caravan moving it from site to every 3/4 weeks, any time I've asked him why he lives this way al he ever does is shrugg his shoulders and say " cause I like it " I've seen his invoices/bank statements and he earns in excess of £1000 a week so it's not financial , I just find it very weird. For the record he is lovely in every other way considerate a good listener kind and generous. Would this bother you ?

AmazingJumper Sat 15-Feb-14 23:09:05

That wouldn't bother me, but I don't mind a bit of eccentricity.

Does living together mean a lot to you.

MorrisZapp Sat 15-Feb-14 23:26:27

Doesn't he want to live in a community and put down roots? That would really matter to me. He has a lovely home but no fixed address.

What does he do for a living?

Procrastinating Sat 15-Feb-14 23:28:44

Sounds nice Milly. How old is he?

Terrortree Sat 15-Feb-14 23:35:01

If he's the man I know with an RV, he's on the run. And no, he doesn't earn a £1K a week. He is stealing it - and not declaring his taxes. And he's not a Traveller either.

But I have lived a peripatetic life so know it's not impossible. Unless you want that way of life - then why would you want that type of person?

Milly101 Sat 15-Feb-14 23:36:48

He's 36 and a self employed joiner, he seems to have no desire to live in a community or put down roots he doesn't drink or own a tv he has no interest in sports, he does smoke a bit of weed which I don't really approve of but I don't give him a hard time over.

Milly101 Sat 15-Feb-14 23:39:11

Terrortree he dose not own a rv he's not on the run I've seen his tax return and I find your input rather offensive

NigellasDealer Sat 15-Feb-14 23:40:17

he sounds alright to me tbh,

RatUpADrainpipe Sat 15-Feb-14 23:45:03

He's just not into material possessions, obviously. Wouldn't bother me one bit.

Terrortree Sat 15-Feb-14 23:45:34

Good Milly - then he isn't the man running havoc in our community.

End of input.

Procrastinating Sat 15-Feb-14 23:45:47

At that age I wouldn't expect him to change. Have you talked about it?

If you want him to live with you in a conventional way he maybe isn't the best bet. He sounds nice though.

nkf Sat 15-Feb-14 23:50:36

If it was a narrowboat, how would you feel? Would that be the same sort of thing? A bit Bohemian and not going along with the mainstream. It's more odd to me that "I like it" is the only conversation you have ever had on it. There must be more.

How does he get his mail?
Are there thousands of caravan sites near you, or is this a mainly long distance relationship?

Your reply to Terrortree might have been a little naive, or blinkered, or something. When a grown-up chooses to move incessantly from place to place, just for the sake of it, there often is a hidden motive. It's not the same as deciding to see the world (land, air, or ocean) or living life on the throw of a dice. You're describing an otherwise conventional life, with the sole difference of fixed address avoidance.

Milly101 Sat 15-Feb-14 23:56:53

His mail car insurance and business is all registered at his parents house I honestly do not think there is a hidden motive he's definitely not on the run he just seems to move as the mood takes him

Well, okay. So your question is ... do you have a future together? Sounds like that's only going to happen if you stay put in your house and he carries on flitting about in his caravan. Or you could suggest getting a caravan of your own, see how he'd feel about you flitting about in tandem. Or suggest getting a houseboat together, or something.

MsWinnieBaygo Sun 16-Feb-14 00:18:34

I guess it's a lifestyle choice rather than a financial decision. Unfair to expect him to give up this type of lifestyle if that's what he wants, so if it's not for you and you won't be able to accept it, time to move on and find someone who has a more similar kind of outlook to yourself.

P.s whilst I dream of packing my bags and leading a lifestyle of travelling around in a campervan, reality of life means this isn't going to happen so realistically I'm not sure I'd be suited to this kind of bloke either, so I'd probably feel as uneasy as you do about it grin

MrsWinnieBaygo, I want one! Every year I visit the Winnebago website to see what fresh glories they have unveiled, and spend the day fantasising about a life of gas-guzzling luxury with no-one to please but border control grin

(The closest I'd get in real life is being Mary from Coronation Street ...)

Joysmum Sun 16-Feb-14 01:26:56

What would worry me is not how he is living now, but what future is there for your relationship in getting to the 'settling down' stage.

BOFtastic Sun 16-Feb-14 02:48:08

You call him your partner, you've been together 18 months, and you have to ask mumsnet why he lives in a caravan? How close are you? Where do you see this going?

differentnameforthis Sun 16-Feb-14 04:09:59

It wouldn't bother me.

A drugs dealer because he lives in a caravan? I've heard it all now...

differentnameforthis Sun 16-Feb-14 04:15:51

A friend of a friend used to live on a narrow boat. She only moved into a house when her child was born & they needed more room. She loved having the flexibility to go off at a moments notice.

It wasn't weird, she was just someone who, for a long time, didn't want to live in bricks. She worked, paid taxes, didn't sell drugs etc.

She is lovely, in fact! A bit eccentric, but lovely.

LightastheBreeze Sun 16-Feb-14 05:31:00

It sounds like he uses his parents house as a permanent address and lives in a caravan so no different really than someone who hadn't moved from their parents. Doesn't sound like a hidden motive at all, sounds more like childish adventures, I wouldn't think he would settle down though and is obviously still dependant on his parents as he needs to use their address for things.

Its0kToBeMe Sun 16-Feb-14 06:19:03

My brother lives in a touring caravan. It's lovely, lots of clever compartments.
He earns decentish money as a farrier. But mostly he lives there just to avoid paying council tax etc.

CaptainCunt Sun 16-Feb-14 06:25:53

Could you talk him into moving to a canal boat if you want to live with him? I think that'd be nicer.

CuttedUpPear Sun 16-Feb-14 06:31:35

There's nothing wrong with living in a caravan. I did it for many years and my DCs were born travelling.

However, if this guy is content to live like this forever then you need to think hard about what you want for yourself.

I suspect that your DP is very happy with his way of life, and with having you as a pleasant added extra.

You are unlikely to change him so you need to be clear about where the relationship is going.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now