Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Am I over reacting? 3yo and unpredictable adult.

(27 Posts)
Bestthingtodo Wed 29-Jan-14 13:04:03

Namechanger

Could do with an outside perspective. I will give more details if necessary but difficult as could be outed due to profession. I'm interested in what people removed from situation think.

Would you let your young child sleep in a house where
-a 30yo man is unpredictable when drinking, has form for drinking to excess at family occasions and recently threatened and attempted to physically assault an adult male whilst drunk. So drunk he didn't recognise his own mother (there is a possibility drugs were involved, who knows, and to some extent who cares? Result is same)
-not only my 3yo but his 5&7 yo were asleep in the house at the time
-he ended being sick all over the room of the room he was sharing with his children so they woke up to vomit filled room. They think he was poorly.
-he has a history of anger problems and some violence, however family thought this had been resolved in last few years. Clearly not

Obviously there is a massive backstory. I may or may not go into it, depends if I think my mum will listen. So not drip feeding, but for me this is the core issue. None of the rest is in my control.

I want to say that neither myself nor my son will be sleeping where this person is again. Not now, not for holidays, not for Christmas. I know people in my family will say I'm over reacting. But I know how angry I would be if my son witnessed or god forbid was hurt if his dad put him in that situation.

I'm not being unreasonable am I. This is bad.

Bestthingtodo Wed 29-Jan-14 19:35:31

Teeny, I know, I was asleep and had no idea anything was going on. I am going to show my mum this thread and all your responses when I see her at weekend.

Preciousbane Wed 29-Jan-14 19:41:23

My stepfather was a violent alcoholic, it wasn't a nice childhood.
People get away with being like this because other people minimise it. If anything happens to his dc then your Mother is complicit. She needs to ask herself if she could live with herself.

If he is a violent alcoholic then he should see his dc in a Contact centre and be grateful he is allowed to see them at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now