Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

AIBU? How long to wait for engagement ring?

(73 Posts)
redcarrot1 Tue 21-Jan-14 11:38:53

Just canvasing opinions here...partner of 10 years finally got round to proposing (also just about to have his baby). He's not one for grand romantic gestures and thats fine, plus he's hopelessly disorganised, but 2 months later an engagement ring has yet to appear. I don't really feel like it's official unless there's an (inexpensive) ring.

AIBU to start getting impatient? I sort of snapped the other day and said sod it, lets not bother if you lack this must enthusiasm...like I said, it's not about the monetary value.

ConfusedLady8 Tue 21-Jan-14 19:49:33

I misposted earlier...should have said "If it's important to you NO you're not being unreasonable. I am clearly confused smile

Pobblewhohasnotoes Tue 21-Jan-14 16:54:36

Have you asked him why he proposed when he doesn't seem to have any intention of buying you a ring? And you don't seem to have set a date or even discussed the wedding.

My DH is laid back and I didn't think he would ever propose but he did, with a beautiful ring.

I wonder how much input he's going to have in caring for his child or if he's going to expect you to get on with it.

FluffyJumper Tue 21-Jan-14 16:21:58

Shopping before lunch so you can get squiffy whilst admiring your ring!

givemeaclue Tue 21-Jan-14 15:38:26

Book a lovely restaurant for lunch with ring shopping after, for the weekend. If he won't go, then really the 'engagement'. Needs to be reviewed

BringMeTea Tue 21-Jan-14 15:30:31

Joysmum
I see your point but that is not the OP's situation. It matters to her. She is going to have their child soon and possibly sees this fact as galvanizing her partner into proposing (for positive reasons). She happily accepted. She expects/wants an engagement ring. She has been clear that it need not be an expensive ring even though she has stated that money is not a problem.

In these circs she is not being unreasonable to be upset at his apparent reluctance and avoidance of making their engagement 'official'.

Joysmum Tue 21-Jan-14 15:22:44

When I asked my husband to marry me I told him not to bother with a ring. I already had a perfectly nice ring he'd given me the previous year for my birthday so just switched that onto the other finger.

The money was better spent on other things and I never saw the point of women getting engagement rings and blokes not. Bit of a weird old fashioned possessive gesture of marking out territory in my mind, although I fully appreciate not everyone sees it that way.

IdaClair Tue 21-Jan-14 15:19:47

Any chance he is giving you a ring for your baby's birth?

Other than that if you would like a ring why not go and buy one? Or if you like, get one you already have and put it on that finger.

I have two rings on that finger and am neither married nor engaged.

Jan45 Tue 21-Jan-14 15:09:12

Calling you a nag is both a cop out and insulting.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Tue 21-Jan-14 14:59:35

I don't suppose you had to brainwash him into sharing your bed or 'nag' him into getting you pregnant. Getting engaged after ten years isn't a spur of the moment thing.

I am glad you say he's excited about the baby but hope he realises when people say 'It takes a village to raise a child' they don't mean, so that one of the parents gets to pick and choose when and how he takes a share of parenting. Being disorganised or calling you a nag is an easy cop out for someone only half engaged, (ha! no pun intended).

livingzuid Tue 21-Jan-14 14:53:42

This was my second marriage; the first had the magic proposal, the ring, the day, the dress blah blah. This time round we agreed it was what we wanted to do. No proposal. No ring. Him and me down the town hall just the two of us as soon as possible tying the knot with our wedding rings from Amazon. Dh didn't even want a ring!

People didn't understand when I said there was no proposal or ring. It wasn't important to me.

But it is important to you. And that's what matters. Would you feel better if plans for the wedding had actually progressed? Some men are utterly rubbish at weddings and all the associated activity.

What is he like in general?

Screaming and shouting won't help, even though it's often the most tempting thing to do when you're really frustrated (you have my sympathies there). I don't like being shouted at and it often makes me want to do the opposite of whatever I'm being told just because I hate it so much.

You need to sit down when you're both calm and talk it through like adults. Tell him what you want, get him to listen, and then get him to tell you what he wants too. Even if you don't completely agree with each other, it should be possible to come up with a compromise that you're both happy with smile

"He's excited about the baby, but I think he considers me a nag".

That is overall not a good sign. I think you will end up doing everything around the house and for your baby too. What surname will the child have, yours or his?.

redcarrot1 Tue 21-Jan-14 14:41:01

He's excited about the baby, but I think he considers me a nag.

"I think he was hoping I'd just pick one of his mum's rings and save himself some cash. This is the way he thinks"

And you are with him because...

There is a saying, "mean with money, mean with love"
I think the above is applicable here.

Do you think he will step up to the plate as a father given his overall laid back attitude?.

redcarrot1 Tue 21-Jan-14 14:36:16

TheDoctors Deep down I know you are right....but the more I scream and shout the more apathetic he becomes. It doesn't get me anywhere.

noddyholder Tue 21-Jan-14 14:34:14

What happens to women when they want to get married?

2rebecca Tue 21-Jan-14 14:32:17

I find the idea of a man making all the decisions very passive as well. We both decided we wanted to get married, and jewellery and when and where was part of that discussion.
I wouldn't have children with a man without being married so if i was pregnant and we were getting married i'd be booking somewhere and marrying in the next few weeks.
Otherwise instead of being a couple who've been together for 10 years without getting married you'll find you've turned into a couple who've been together 15 years without getting married, which suits some people.

Viviennemary Tue 21-Jan-14 14:27:46

The point is a lot of men don't set a great deal of store by sparkly engagement rings. But if you want a ring then you should have one if your budget allows with a new baby on the way. Just say I'd like a ring please. When can I have one. I'm still waiting on mine to be upgraded after decades. I've lost interest now. grin

Why do you feel as though you have to "settle" for this, though? You wanted to get married and he did bugger all about it until you became pregnant, and even then, he proposed with no ring and still hasn't bought one two months later, nor has he discussed a wedding date or a timeline for getting married.

I don't really get that. DP isn't always the most romantic person in the world but when we discussed getting married, I told him I did want a ring and a nice proposal. I also said money isn't important and I don't care if the ring costs a fiver. He listened to what I wanted. Neither of us want a church wedding but we spoke and agreed together what we wanted.

Why is it all what he wants and none of what you want?

ToffeeOwnsTheSausage Tue 21-Jan-14 14:18:45

ConfusedLady8 - I think you really are confused!

ConfusedLady8 Tue 21-Jan-14 14:11:04

Cog was right...if it's important to you, YABU

sarajane231 Tue 21-Jan-14 14:08:00

redcarrot1 - I'll go against the grain in saying I don't think him waiting 10 years says it all. People are all different, for some people the ring means nothing, for some men they are just not "romantic" and are a bit useless at this stuff which doesn't meant they don't love you or are a bad partner.

However, him ignoring your wishes and wants DOES make him a it of a bad partner and if you sit down and very, very clearly communicate how you feel..in that:

1. you feel a bit insulted that he took 10 years to propose
2. you feel a bit upset that you don't have a ring and he doesn't seem that interested in getting one

And he does nothing about it, then tell him to shove it up his backside. Getting married and being committed to someone for life is a massive thing. If he can;t bend his own will occasionally to meet your needs and make you feel good at the moment of engagement he's not going to do any better as the years go on.

I am quite sure he would not have been with you 10 years, and then proposed after all that time if he didn't love you lots. It's just that sometimes people need a kick up the backside to know that loving someone sometimes means doing things you might not feel come naturally, or which might not mean much to you. This is love...actions, not words

xx

2rebecca Tue 21-Jan-14 14:07:20

I'd be more concerned about the lack of a wedding date 2 months down the line. An engagement is pointless if there is no date for the wedding as nothing has actually changed in the relationship you are just 2 people living together with no concrete plans to marry. For most people the 2 things go together. It's not about the jewellery, I dislike rings so never got an engagement ring but once we decided to get married we got on with sorting it out.
If you're going to get married get on with it.

Jan45 Tue 21-Jan-14 14:03:28

Cog's right, as usual.

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 21-Jan-14 14:00:29

It's also immaterial that one person didn't need a ring and another doesn't mind enduring an unromantic block of wood as a partner as long as they do the ironing hmm. The OP is looking - as a once in a lifetime, never-to-be-repeated thing - for a gesture, an effort, a token of love. It's important to her and therefore it's not unreasonable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now