Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

The Brave Babes Battle Bus - Walking In A Winter Sober Land!

(1000 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Mouseface Sun 15-Dec-13 00:41:16

Hello Brave Babes, I'm Mouse smile

Welcome to the 'Bus Of Fun' (now you've come of age!) grin

This is a thread for those who want to give up drink completely, or are maybe thinking about doing controlled drinking, or cutting down slowly, with a view to quitting or not... it's up to you.

You know your limits, you know what is required, it's in your hands. And only you can make it happen.

Whatever your goal, you'll find support here. Always.

There will be talk of drinking and those who fall off the Bus (arse over tit) will post about it, so if that is going to jeopardise your chances of complete sobriety, then maybe the DRY thread would suit you better, as they are complete abstainers. smile

That said, this Bus is happy to have you no matter what, as long as you can cope with chat of drinking, nights out/in, failures, cyclical drinkers, etc......

Everyone has always been welcome here and shall remain to be.

No-one is ever turned away. EVER.

There are no hard and fast rules, other than the support here is unconditional, it may be in the form of tough love at times, but it's always meant with the very best of intentions.

There are two sayings that we like here -

1) - The Vulnerable Need Our Support, Not Our Judgement

2) - Alcohol Fosters Inertia

The rest kind of happens as the posts appear.

I hope that's okay with you all.

You'll find the last thread HERE, THAT WILL LEAD TO THREADS BEFORE IT, SOME HISTORY

And the original and real, truly heartfelt reason that we are here in the first place is HERE. A VERY SOBERING READ

The Bus may be 'mythical', but the support is real, honest and will help you to achieve what it is that you seek, as long as you are honest with us, but mostly, YOURSELF

See you soon. x

Fairenuff Sat 11-Jan-14 19:58:06

Haha spanna, not me driving. No wonder we are hurtling along at such a rate!!

Mouseface Sat 11-Jan-14 20:05:45

Welcome Bruno smile

Lovely to meet you. !0 days is great! Especially as it's the 11th of January. You ought to be extremely proud of yourself, even a day is better than not a day.

And yes, you are safe here, no judgy pants, no accusations, no bitchiness, cliques or quiches wink just a load of posters, all on a mad Bus called Gerald on their way to find the right level of sobriety for them! smile

Thank you for posting about if feeling 'too easy' I get that, it is at first for some, it's like 'why have I waited this long?'

Honesty. That is what we are all about. There are cyclical drinkers here who stay dry, for days or weeks, and then post pissed or after a night out drinking.

You are the only person who can control where you go from here, and you have our full support lovely smile x

babyjane1 Sat 11-Jan-14 20:51:41

bruno I like you very much already, I too have done all you've admitted to as have most of us babes at some point, I too am also on day 10 and I'm strong now cos I know it's the right time for me and I think you feel the same. I don't think about tomorrow or Monday or Tuesday just one day at a time and that's the only way it seems possible!!! Why not join me I'm ODAAT and we can hold hands on this bus xxxx

Mouseface Sat 11-Jan-14 20:53:06

Just lost the new thread thanks to the way that MN is now set up angry

Bear with me, I'll have it sorted within the next 30 - 40 mins. Sorry! blush

ruralreynard Sat 11-Jan-14 20:56:16

Welcome Bruno and well done on 10 days AF smile
WW being a real bitch again tonight here. Trying not to cave X
Keep socking it to her DJ'S and everyone else not drinking today xx
Control Freak calling, think its the< Maaaa TEA> scream.
See you later babes

Crotchstitch Sat 11-Jan-14 20:57:01

Hi bruno and welcome smile
I know what you mean about it all seeming too easy. I am on day 11 and not a hitch (at all, which is surprising) I think this is because essentially I didn't drink that much and my issue was with a long build up of alcohol and no breaks from my daily drinking. DJ was to prove to myself that I could do it if I wanted to but the ease with which it has happened make the little voice in my head say "see, you don't have a problem after all so you could go back" OTOH I feel sooooo much better that I'm not sure I ever want to go back to being the person I was hmm
I have resolved to complete DJ and see what happens from there. DH and I have Grand Plans that will mean cutting back and doing some serious saving so hopefully I could do controlled drinking with this in mind <clutches straws>

Anneisnotmyname Sat 11-Jan-14 20:57:39

Day 11 done, no wine in the house and no chance of getting any now. had a few wobbles, picked H up from work and he wanted to get wine. In the end I asked him why he was trying to sabatage me? He said he wasn't but we could still have some wine??? I told him what difference did waiting a couple of weeks make. A friend was also doing DJ and has given in tonight, for some reason that weakened my resolve....

Mouse thank you so much for taking the time to tell me about low carbing smile I think it might be the answer for me. I'm so short I don't need many cals to maintain and to lose even a pound I have to stick to less than a 1000 a day which is pretty grim. I have lost weight doing this but it takes forever. I'll try and drink more (much more) water too, if I don't have coffee or wine I tend not to drink hmm

Welcome Bruno a lot of your post struck home with me. Doing DJ has been easier for me than any other time I've tried to have a run of af days. I'm not sure why. Last year I started marking the pages in my diary with ticks and crosses depending on whether i drank or not. By the end of the year it was mostly crosses so it feels really good to start the year with a clean sheet smile

Fairenuff Sat 11-Jan-14 21:05:14

Crotch I find that if I am absolutely 100% certain that I won't drink, the ww doesn't bother to come calling.

Rural keep yourself busy, it's nearly bedtime, you can do this.

Anne well done.

Welcome Bruno and really well done on your 10 days smile. I am intrigued by the liver twitching thing, I have heard before (was it you Soc?) but not actually felt it. I imagine your liver (like mine) is very grateful not to be dealing with all that wine for now and hopefully will settle down. It's good that it feels easy for you and as long as you are aware that the novelty factor may wane you can stay vigilant to that too.

Anne I did the crosses on my calendar towards the end of last year and have a record of each drinking day since September. Also enjoying my 'clean' and cross free January hanging on the wall!

Joey trillions and bazillions of calories in wine - don't do it grin

Well done to all of you beating WW (although I really like spaniel ears!) tonight, I am just going into fight mode here. <puts on turbo boots and swishy cape>

Mouseface Sat 11-Jan-14 21:59:39

Hello Babes

Here is the NEW THREAD

As always, please can we fill this thread up first so that we don't leave anyone behind? smile

Feel free <waits for the mass exodus to the other thread> to bagsy your seat on the New Thread, Gerald's lovely and clean, and all ready to go on his many future journeys. smile

I hope that you are all okay, I'm off to bed, we've a very emotional day tomorrow as we're off to see Dad, it's a joint Birthday celebration for us both (Ma and I are celebrating on Tuesday grin ) so we're getting close family together for some happy memories of Mum, and hopefully some huge hugs!

I miss my Mum so much, grief is said to 'swallow your life' but I don't have that, I can't seem to grieve yet. I know that when I do, I will need to be buckled in ever so tight to Gerald with all of my lovely Brave Babes around me smile

Night all, take good care xxx

ThisIsMyTime Sat 11-Jan-14 22:09:57

Still lurking end of day 8 still AF not got passed 8 days in 2 and a half years so an achievement in its self x

Aw Mouse I expect your Dad is really looking forward to seeing you all, I really hope you have a good day. Sleep tight babe x

Thisis it's a HUGE achievement. Well done!

Mouseface Sat 11-Jan-14 22:50:18

Thank you Beaches smile xxx

ThisIs - that is awesome!! Well done you! Seriously, you rock lovely xx

ruralreynard Sat 11-Jan-14 23:00:09

mouse hope you have a lovely family get together tomorrow. Your dad will appreciate it I am sure. A close loving family can be such a comfort...xx
faire thanks for the support think I have done day 3 phew!!smile
Really feeling grumpy and down today. Hopefully just day 3 blues. THOUGHT i would get that out on the old thread and hope my mood is better in the morning for the shiny new thread.
Goodnight all, xx

spanna41 Sat 11-Jan-14 23:01:28

Mouse have a lovely day with your Dad tomorrow smile

Thisis Day 8 is awesome, well done Babe grin stick with it, keep strong, keep posting x

ItsTheOnlyWayToLive Sat 11-Jan-14 23:06:47

AF wine is the work of the devil. Yuk. Just yuk confused

Ah well, AF Kopparberg is next on my list.

Goodnight all xxxxx

spanna41 Sat 11-Jan-14 23:07:06

Anne well done on Day 11 that is brilliant smile

Rural Day 3 is over Day 4 tomorrow, one day at a time. First 7 days are my grumpiest. Sleep well babe smile

Beaches how are you lovely tin man? You feeling any less stiff? have you had a hot bath yet, that will help smile

Baby how are you lovely?

grin Nuff

spanna41 Sat 11-Jan-14 23:14:40

I'm are you there Babe, don't miss the thread swap smile

itsthe oh dear! I suspected the af wine may taste like nats piss or something similarly unpleasant - thanks for being the guinea pig grin

Spanna it's the stairs that hurt the most! I will shortly be heading to the bath for a long wallow. How are you chick? I am guessing you have bagged day 10. smile

Rural I hope day 4 will be a sunnier day for you, the first few are definitely the toughest x

spanna41 Sat 11-Jan-14 23:30:09

Beaches I have bagged Day 10 from that mean old worty witch grin love your referral to diamonds on new thread made me lol smile Trying to stay up a bit later to stop my 4am bing bong. May be yabbering away for a bit. I'm still hot on your heals babes grin

ItsTheOnlyWayToLive Sat 11-Jan-14 23:34:48

Cheers beaches, I've tried, thats all I can say! At least it wasn't expensive....now I know why grin

Another sober night...smile . dh had 2 glasses of cider and sounded so loud, had to tell him to quieten down grin

Going with venus earlier, and counting this as 6 and a half days. Thanks venus, I meant to say earlier that your post was very encouraging smile

4am shock have you always woken up early? I know some people don't need as much sleep as others - I am a definite 8 hours a night when possible and have little trouble rolling over and going back to sleep if I wake up early. Hopefully burning the candle a bit longer at this end will get you a mini lie in smile

itsthe I agree with the 6 and a half - I have done some 'creative accounting' over the past few months where I had 5 out of 7 nights or something. It helps to include all the successes, they were hard won sometimes and deserve the recognition x

PurpleSmurfette Sun 12-Jan-14 00:19:54

Have a lovely day tomorrow mouse

I'm am sending hugs and strong vibes for you xx

8 days no cigs or alcohol. Not missing either this weekend just feeling so happy to be able to finally admit this stuff, I was spring cleaning the kitchen yesterday and found a bottle of wine I started before Xmas and hid so DH didn't see it open... (mug of 'tea' while I was working in the eve) and the memory made me feel physically sick.

I'm not going back there.

Smurfette

This thread is not accepting new messages.