Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Adopt a Grandparent, Mum's who need one, alone people???

(95 Posts)
oopsadaisyme Fri 13-Dec-13 17:40:21

This is a 'totally out there' post, but at this time of year, it makes you think-

There must be alot of people out there alone this time of year, from single mums on their own without support, to elderly people who are also on their own -

Isn't their some way to bring the two wrongs to make a right??

Just a thought......

alphacourse Fri 13-Dec-13 17:43:22

http://www.adopt-a-grandma.co.uk/

nanigma Sat 22-Mar-14 12:16:20

Hi. I hope I'm not intruding here. I am a mum to three very grown up daughters, and dearly would love to be a grandma.
I wonder if there's any child/ren out there who'd like to adopt me as their gran/nan? I feel very lonely and dearly would like to have the company of small children in my life.
I live on my own in the South East. I'm 66yrs young, and I'm described as an artist/musician. Thanks for readingsmile

moldingsunbeams Sat 22-Mar-14 12:30:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Hissy Sat 22-Mar-14 12:52:39

I am NC with my family, and it's better that way.

I do however feel cheated at the parental hand I was dealt and know that there will be people that would enjoy our company, and would benefit from the help my son and I can give.

I'd love to find an older person we can 'adopt' :D

yummytummy Sat 22-Mar-14 12:55:15

Hi I am alone too. Single parent no contact with family. Often dont speak to another adult for days. Even not just a grandparent meeting other single mums somehow would be great.

nanigma Sat 22-Mar-14 13:15:25

Me again!grin
It's heartbreaking that there's seemingly so many lonely folk out here (young or old, it doesn't really matter - it still hurts). I belong to Gransnet and sometimes there's a thread posted from young mum's who are looking for a 'surrogate' gran - and there's some grans who'd desperately like to 'adopt' grandchildren. Perhaps, somehow the two threads could be linked???

Parsley1234 Sat 22-Mar-14 13:53:04

Ahhhhh I love this thread my mum died before ds born and my dad was so awful but we have grandad trevorwho is more of a dad to me and grandad to my ds. He does loads with us from cycling fixing stuff cooking we give him a lot too it works brilliantly !

Gretagumbo Sat 22-Mar-14 14:16:07

I love this idea x I miss my nanna and I often loiter in marks and Spencer's eyeing up other nannas. smile

weirdthing Sat 22-Mar-14 14:31:02

I'd love a granny. I am nc with my family and dh's dad is dead. My mil comes up every 6 weeks but is not a very cuddly person. A local granny would be lovely. We're in Manchester.

MrsHowardRoark Sat 22-Mar-14 14:37:49

I would love to find an older person who would take an interest in my children. My mum is dead and I have no family nearby.

We live in the south east too nanigma, we'll adopt you grin

Sunshineonsea Sat 22-Mar-14 14:42:19

This is such a lovely idea smile

reindeesandchristmastrees Sat 22-Mar-14 14:47:18

I've always thought we would make a gret surrogate family but we are:
Loud
Untidy
Have dogs, cats and hens
I'm not sure anyone sane would want us x

weirdthing Sat 22-Mar-14 14:51:30

Good point. My children are very loud. It would take a nana with great strength of character and nerves of steel to put up with us.

nanigma Sat 22-Mar-14 15:03:08

Oh..Wow!!!
Seems from what you're saying there could be an interest in 'matching up' grans/fams. I don't really 'get' the internet, or where to go from here. I'm happy enough to put a mention on GN - could anyone guide me on the best way to go from here?smile

CakeWillDo Sat 22-Mar-14 15:06:37

Sounds like a lovely idea.

nanigma Sun 23-Mar-14 16:58:12

May I put myself forward as a surrogate nana/mum?

I live in Oxfordshire. As I don't have a car, I'm rather restricted to how far I can travel. Loud, untidy, children and chickens are all very acceptable, as long as they'll put up with a loud, untidy, prone to clucking gran/nan. I'm NOT a Mrs Doubtfire, or a Disney cartoon character grandmamma. I have pink hair, I wear jeans and DM's and I'm NOT Perfectly Perfect in Every Way! Any takers? Please PM me

mammadiggingdeep Sun 23-Mar-14 19:15:51

Nanigma...you sound bloody great!!!!!

If I needed to adopt a gran, you'd be right up my street!!!!

X

Mummyoftwobeautifulpoppets Sun 23-Mar-14 20:04:05

Wow! We would so love to adopt a gran/nana/grandad. Just about to go NC with my mum and also become a single mum sad
This is a fab idea! My two DDs are lovely, also pretty loud but hey! Do you think this is something that really happens?! I oft see other people's mums/grans and feel a pang..

Also in the south east smile

nanigma Mon 31-Mar-14 18:17:58

Thank you for PM'ssmile I'm still here alone, please contact me if you're still looking to adopt a gran\nana

jimjamz16 Thu 19-Jun-14 20:42:08

Hi Nanigma,

I'm a single parent with 2 little girls that have never had that nan/grandparent figure, neither did I - would love to have a chat xx

TheReluctantCountess Thu 19-Jun-14 20:44:39

We'd love a 'grandparent' in West Yorkshire. Our older folk are all down south and we don't get to see them very often. Much as we'd like to be nearer to them, moving there is not an option.

playftseforme Thu 19-Jun-14 20:49:45

While there are no issues w my parents, their interest extends to phone calls only ( they live over 200 miles away, and while we have a spare room they're just not that fussed re visits). I was really close to my dgm and i regret that my dc don't have that opportunity. It's hard to explain to the eldest when it's grandparents day at school. Would love to adopt a granny!! We're east surrey xx

MistyGee Thu 19-Jun-14 20:57:35

This is lovely.
5yo DS and I would love a nanna! We're in Cardiff, just us. Xx

We are on the border of south and west Yorkshire, families are all pop north and dd and I would love a nanna.

Nanigma, do you fancy moving near us, we'd share you with the reluctant countess, you sound ace.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now