Note: Mumsnetters don't necessarily have the qualifications or experience to offer relationships counselling or to provide help in cases of domestic violence. Mumsnet can't be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

My relationship (long sorry)

(638 Posts)
Packupyourtroubles Tue 10-Dec-13 19:15:45

Hi
I posted on chat about what I now know to be 'gaslighting' that my partner does. I was advised to start a thread in relationships.
Last night I was reading a thread and went to reply thinking 'how would I feel in this situation' then realised that actually I have been many times.

Since then it's like the floodgates have opened and I'm realising just how dysfunctional my relationship is.

I met my partner 6 years ago aged 17. He was my first love, etc.
when we first got together I was confident, sure of myself and my values, and knew what I would and would not stand for. Since then I feel I have lost every element of myself.

He is aggressive in words and actions. He has shaken me at times and once a few weeks ago slapped me. Most of the time he just punches objects- the dashboard in my car for example, so not hurting me.

He will always, after an argument say 'why did you make me say/do whatever'. I always end up apologising purely so I am not making him angry any more.

If there is something I don't like, for example he talks to lots of females, has stayed the night at their houses- he will say 'I don't have male friends, do you want me to have no friends'- and I will end up agreeing with him, or I make a point and he twists it so much I have no idea what I was trying to say in the first place.

He has cheated on me but I forgave him both times and he did seem to change his behaviour but now I'm realising he probably didn't.

He has sex with me knowing I don't want to, he is controlling and insists I see him every day and wants me to do sexual things I am not comfortable with. I have sort of given up saying no so I realise I am to blame for that.

I got pregnant a year ago and he insisted on me having an abortion. I wanted to keep the baby and know that before I was with him I would not have let anyone tell me what I could or could not do but I didn't question him.

Just for some background we don't live together as I look after my DNephew full time. I care for my partners mum but not full time. We have a joint account and loans but no mortgage etc.

There is probably more that I have left out. I am not sure what I am asking. I feel like I am to blame for a lot of this. I can't see a way out, I cannot imagine a life without him, and at the same time all I want is to be by myself. Since the first realisation last night it has all been pouring into my mind- memories I didn't know I had. I feel terrified but also as if my eyes have been opened- but I can't work out what's next.

Sorry for length

Jux Fri 20-Dec-13 18:45:31

Was so worried he'd broken in etc. very glad to hear she is safe now and he's behind bars. Give her our best, and happy Xmas with her lovely nephew.

SuburbanCrofter Fri 20-Dec-13 18:57:44

Glad to hear this, than you Paula.

nobeer Fri 20-Dec-13 20:59:13

Thank you for the update, Paula. Please send her a hig from me too, and I hope she has a peaceful Christmas.

sadwidow28 Fri 20-Dec-13 21:04:55

Thank you for letting us know that she is safe. She has been on my mind a lot recently.

Wish her and her nephew a very happy Christmas and a joyous New Year.

nauticant Fri 20-Dec-13 21:26:40

Thanks for the update. Please let the OP know that she shouldn't feel an obligation to return to the thread and should keep a low MN profile for however long she thinks she needs to.

LoisChristmasPuddingLane Fri 20-Dec-13 22:12:17

Poor girl. If you are reading this, Pack, take good care of yourself x

clippityclop Fri 20-Dec-13 22:41:57

Fantastic . So relieved that she is safe and has support, thanks for letting us know. Please wish her the best of everything now and always.x

Lavenderhoney Sat 21-Dec-13 07:30:24

Thanks for the update. I hope op gets the support she needs and he stays inside for a long time.

Just think, op of what you can achieve at work in the future- to get to your position held back by home troubles shows your tenacity.

And I hope your you, family become closer in time, and your can continue to be such a lovely auntsmile

PyroclasticFlo Sat 21-Dec-13 11:09:53

So pleased to hear that Pack is safe, thank you for updating us.
Do send on loads of love from us all x

AGypsiesWife Sat 21-Dec-13 17:22:16

So glad to hear she is ok. Touched a lot of hearts.

Jux Wed 25-Dec-13 22:46:35

Hope you had a good Christmas day, Pack, and that you are recovering and healing.

I shall not forget you. thanks

moodymai Thu 26-Dec-13 09:10:11

If the loans are in his name, when/if you separate from him you can write to Experian and dissassociate from him financially. Then you shouldnt be linked.

Tuhlulah Thu 26-Dec-13 14:01:06

I am so pleased to hear that she is OK. I had begun to imagine lots of unpleasant things, from her being injured, dead, back with him or that the entire post was just a figment of someone's imagination. I am really grateful to you Paula, for what you have done. Thank you.

I am glad the little wanker has read this thread, so he can have some idea of what other people think about him. Inadequate little coward. But I am sorry for Packup, because I suspect it's had dreadful repercussions for her.

I hope she can get some respite from the fear and horror and manages to extricate herself from what he has done to her life. I hope she can manage to get rid of him financially, emotionally, psychically and physically.

Best wishes to you Packup. I hope you have had some peace over Christmas, and that you get some joy back in your life soon. XX

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now