Note: Mumsnetters don't necessarily have the qualifications or experience to offer relationships counselling or to provide help in cases of domestic violence. Mumsnet can't be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Dating - how does it work these days??

(6 Posts)
catkin14 Sun 08-Dec-13 22:43:08

Ive been seperated from my exh for 10 months now but marriage had been over long before that.

Ive finally got used to being on my own, which i didnt mind anyway, and finding my own way in the world and am doing ok!

A very nice man asked me on a date, so I went and since then we have seen each other for couple nice walks and a meal out, we get on really well and have a lot in common.

Its been a very stressful year for me and Im not going to rush into anything, and as I have a teenage DS living with me full time, am not going to do anything that will upset his life even more.

But how does dating when you are nearly 50 work? would you expect a kiss on date 3 or 4? or more or less?
I was married a very long time and dont quite know how to do this now!
Help?

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 09-Dec-13 00:00:22

There's no age-related rule-book. smile Do what you feel comfortable with and play it by ear.

beaglesaresweet Mon 09-Dec-13 00:06:45

may I ask Op, how did you meet the guy? did you know him socially before? If he's completely new, I'd advise to get to know him before getting physical as you have been out of dating so long that you could be very swayed by the sexual side. Just go on dating, maybe a kiss on date 4 or not, but not rush into sleeping withhim (unless you actively want just sex - not the impression I get).

normalishdude Mon 09-Dec-13 13:38:40

Do what you want, when you want-trust your instincts and enjoy yourself. There are no rules or guidelines for dating at any age.

onetiredmummy Mon 09-Dec-13 13:47:22

Ha I remember being a teen where you supposed to kiss on date 1 but not go any further until date 2 where he could touch your bosom outside your clothes, then on date 3 he could do this or that etc smile (the word bosom is not making me sound any younger is it!)

Just go with your instincts, there are no baying schoolfriends or anyone that needs to see that you did the right thing according to some kind of rulebook so just use your wisdom & experience with people, let go & see where it takes you.

At 50 you have a fair idea of how the world works & how to communicate honestly with someone so just use those skills & enjoy being with a very nice man. Take it at your own pace & his & see how it develops smile

catkin14 Mon 09-Dec-13 22:37:59

Thanks for replies.

No Im not just after the sex, and I didnt know him before at all, never met him till about 2 weeks ago, so no hurry. We are just going nice places and enjoying each others company. At the moment tbh I dont have time in my life for much more than that.
So it sounds ok to me, that at least Im on the right lines! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now