Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Think he will never change

(41 Posts)
Unknownmember Sun 08-Dec-13 15:00:54

I've posted many times about H. I'm coming to vent as I have no one to talk to.

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/relationships/a1913692-When-is-it-time-to-leave

H had his Xmas party last night. His company included a hotel stay as well. Instead of him traveling while drunk, I said that he should stay the night. But he had to agree that he went to the party only and then back to the hotel. He couldn't go out drinking with people afterwards as that's when problems start.

He always says that I don't give him/ tell him what I expect. So I was very certain this time. And I told him that it's hard for me to trust him this much but he has to show me that his family is far more important than going out and showing he's one of the lads.

So I checked find my iPhone last night and he was out drinking till 4 am. His party finished at 11. I know it might sound like I'm being really demanding, but after six years of broken promises I have to try and take things in my own hands.

But he's shown me that going out is more important than keeping his promises and showing me that he's responsible. I keep hoping that he will have the lightbulb moment and realize what he's losing, but I don't think he ever will

Jesus woman do you have mug tattooed on your forehead? No? Then stop being one for this guy. DTMFA

ImperialBlether Sun 08-Dec-13 18:06:06

You need to come home with your children. Let your parents help you.

Maybe there are some men who, when they're found out, are so terrified of losing their family they would never ever do anything again. They've realised what their life would be like without them and they don't want it. Maybe that's what happens when people say an affair made their relationship stronger. (I don't know anyone personally who has gone through this, though.)

More commonly you have men who are found out and risk losing their family. When their wives forgive them, or at least promise to forget what they've done, they breathe a massive sigh of relief. However, the difference between them is that these men don't learn. The next time they get found out, they realise they're not literally standing on the brink of hell, they are just going to have to put up with shouting and threats that are not followed through. Later still they don't even get shouted at, because a lot of women have learned by then to turn away, to pretend it hasn't happened.

Your husband is at that stage. He doesn't believe you're going to leave him. He doesn't believe you ever will! He's always been forgiven, no matter what disgusting thing he's done. Is that his history with past wives/girlfriends and his parents?

I know my ex was absolutely astonished when he realised I was going to leave. Flabbergasted. Why would I go then, when I hadn't before? It was almost as though he said it out loud.

You will recover if you leave. If you stay, part of you will die. Eventually you'll be the woman who will see the receipt, see the email, see the love bite and the scratches and turn away and put on the TV, too scared to even think about what it all means.

Unknownmember Sun 08-Dec-13 20:06:52

ImperialBlether, you are right. He hears me complaining, arguing and crying over the same things each time. I threaten the same things. And I always get the same responses. And it starts all over again. I tell him it's like we are trapped in a circle.

My parents know we are having some problems but they don't know what is happening. They have offered to talk to him. But I just think any change that may cause May not be a real change. It would be one out of fear from my parents. Not respect for me, for our kids or our marriage.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 08-Dec-13 20:11:57

It's not your parents' job to talk to him or save your relationship, that's between the two of you and, you're right, it should come out of love and respect, not fear. BUT..... if you think things are irretrievably damaged and there is no point flogging the dead horse any more, then tell your parents the truth and tell them very clearly what it is you need them to do. Not talk him round, for example, but give you and the DCs support in setting up solo.

Unknownmember Sun 08-Dec-13 20:33:29

So he's home. And he said 'go on then, I know you are not happy with me'

He said he didn't stick to his promise, but he's fine and nothing happened. The idea that he has hurt me again, let me down again doesn't really matter. Because when he went out he didn't screw up.

I've given up arguing with him. I must be stupid to think he would listen to me. His pleasure, him going out is far more important. I feel like I come very low down on the list.

MissScatterbrain Sun 08-Dec-13 20:48:06

Yes it sounds like you come very low on his list. I hope you come much higher that this on your own list of priorities though.

What do you plan to do?

43percentburnt Sun 08-Dec-13 20:48:13

"Later still they don't even get shouted at, because a lot of women have learned by then to turn away, to pretend it hasn't happened."

You have just done what imperial said would eventually happen.

It's hard to face up to, but he won't change, you will be here in 1 year, 5 years then 10 years time. You can change it though...

RatherBeRiding Sun 08-Dec-13 21:16:04

People can change, but only if they want to. He obviously doesn't want to, and going on your previous history there's nothing you can do about that. You are far better cutting your losses and getting out before you waste any more of your life.

MistAllChuckingFrighty Sun 08-Dec-13 21:40:53

"go on then" ?

what the fuck does that mean ?

give me a bit of a telling off if you must, but I will carry on doing what I want and you do not factor in

that's about the measure of it (and pretty much how it's been going so far)

Isetan Sun 08-Dec-13 21:56:48

This is no longer about what he does or doesn't do, its about why you choose to stay.

Your kids aren't the motivation for why you stay, they are just another excuse for not taking decisive action. Your marriage is dysfunctional and your hiding in it because your scared of the responsibility of your own happiness or unhappiness. Trust me, I've been there and wasted time hiding in relationship that wasn't working, waiting on someone to change who prefers the status quo is futile. If you want different, your gonna have to start doing different.

Unknownmember Sun 08-Dec-13 22:18:53

I know what I should be doing but I don't know how to get the courage.

I've come out for a drive and am grabbing a coffee and some time to think.

His attitude today has really pissed me off. He feels so blasé about it.

I do feel beaten by it.

MistAllChuckingFrighty Sun 08-Dec-13 22:30:10

Speak to your parents. Tell them the truth of what you are living with. Break the cycle of covering for him and pretending all is well. It is very far from well.

This is all you will get though if you don't do something different

tinmug Sun 08-Dec-13 23:13:47

You're not beaten by it, OP: staying with him would mean you were beaten by it. Don't look at this as a defeat: look at it as a choice, a decision by you to refuse to put up with this any more. You deserve better than this.

Unknownmember Mon 09-Dec-13 04:37:28

We are speaking the bare minimum. I don't have the energy of having the same arguments with him. Just because a huge disaster didn't happen this time he thinks I shouldn't make a big deal of anything. And keeping his word, we'll he said sorry and that should be enough.

It's hitting home how little he thinks of and how little he respects me.

Unknownmember Mon 09-Dec-13 05:37:59

We just had an argument. He always manages to make me feel like I'm talking crap and being unreasonable.

His argument is that he may not have stuck yo his word and gone out till very late but he didn't get into trouble. He got back home at a reasonable hour too. So I should be annoyed at him but be glad that he didn't get into trouble.

He also said that he has had a few nights out where things have gone well.

He doesn't realise that the few times have been eclipsed by the huge fuck ups. He promised me after being caught for drink driving that he would go out to the main event and then go home. As he can't trust himself. But he doesn't stick to it.

He doesn't see that he's worn me away. I feel so broken. I'm so unhappy. He's ruining our marriage with all the lies and problems. I'm no longer in love with him.

MissScatterbrain Mon 09-Dec-13 07:20:59

I wouldn't bother arguing with him - its pointless. He will never listen to you and its a waste of energy.

I wold just start taking action by making steps to leave - tell parents/close friends, separate your finances, make plans to pack up and move back to the UK.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now