Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

To think it's odd that my mother didn't notice my son's injury?

(79 Posts)
tangerinefeathers Sun 10-Nov-13 04:27:13

My oldest child is 3 so I don't know if I am being precious or not (my mother would say I am).

She was looking after my son last week and brought him home. I could hear his crying from the street so went to the front door and found him hysterical. I asked what happened and she said 'Oh, he wanted to run but he fell over.'

I asked where he was hurt and he couldn't tell me, and neither could she, but I checked him over and couldn't find any injuries. She left shortly afterwards. A few minutes later I noticed he had a grazed chin and half of his front tooth had been knocked out (diagonally).

I didn't see what happened on the street or how he fell over, but AIBU in thinking if a child knocks out half a tooth you would notice - ie surely they would be holding their mouth or something when you first went to them, or you'd see them fall and notice how they landed?

I rang her up and she sounded wary at first, and then reacted very dramatically, and blamed the council for it happening (uneven footpath). There is a lot of back story here, but all I really want to know is if it seems odd that she wasn't aware of his injury, or is that unreasonable?

Noctilucent Sun 10-Nov-13 04:47:03

It is odd.

lunar1 Sun 10-Nov-13 04:53:35

Really odd, he would have probably had lots of bleeding from his him when it happened.

Depends. It depends a bit on the back story a bit I think x

tangerinefeathers Sun 10-Nov-13 04:57:59

It's a clean break and the chin was more of a graze.

But now that I have had time to think I am wondering if she brought him in and hoped enough time would go by before I noticed that I wouldn't be able to say for sure that it happened while she had him. She isn't one to 'own up' to mistakes.

I have dithered for too long over this. She's been having him once a week with my niece but I need to be there from now onwards. She has a pool, too, so if she doesn't notice a broken tooth then what else will she overlook?

It helps to have people tell me it's odd. I have been around her for far too long to see her objectively.

tangerinefeathers Sun 10-Nov-13 04:59:05

salad cream I've ranted on her a lot about her. Back story is she's a narcissist and I've always been her scapegoat, but I wanted to get objective opinions i.e. would a normal person not notice?

Bearandcub Sun 10-Nov-13 05:01:06

If there wasn't any blood, then she might not have noticed. He could have swallowed the tooth too. Possible.

I may have got the wrong end of the stick c

Steps away from the argument

CuntWagon Sun 10-Nov-13 05:08:09

Well it took you a bit of time to notice too, despite checking as you say in your op.

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Tangerinefeathers x

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

I hope you aren't F4J . If you are you've shat on you're strawberries very loudly!!!!!!!

* your x

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

tangerinefeathers Sun 10-Nov-13 06:12:07

saladcream I really don't know what you're referring to. I've reported your post. This is genuine.

You didn't notice at first either....

bragmatic Sun 10-Nov-13 06:22:46

My son, when he was about 1 knocked his tooth exactly as you describe. Diagnally on the front tooth. I only noticed when I was feeding him his dinner. To this day, I have no idea how or when he did it.

tracypenisbeaker Sun 10-Nov-13 06:23:01

what are you on about saladcream? Are you perhaps commenting on the wrong thread?

bragmatic Sun 10-Nov-13 06:23:04

diagonally

3bunnies Sun 10-Nov-13 06:28:01

You didn't notice at first, she was just trying to get him back to you, into your house where he would be safer once an initial look over when she picked him up. I often have done this on the way to school. Whether you trust your mother to look after your ds is another matter and the pool would worry me - is it even gated and locked? I wouldn't pass judgement based on this event alone. Dd2's teachers hadn't even noticed that she had been sitting in class with a 2cm cut on her cheek all afternoon - I'll still send her in on Mon cos I generally trust them but if this was symptomatic of wider neglect it might be a different matter.

tangerinefeathers Sun 10-Nov-13 06:29:21

OK maybe i'm overthinking. I've got a four-week old newborn so am perhaps a bit irrational about it.

Saladcream do you think I'm a father's for justice campaigner? I'm not.

tangerinefeathers Sun 10-Nov-13 06:30:01

Bragmatic did you just leave it?

Vivacia Sun 10-Nov-13 06:39:53

There's nothing irrational about being hyper-aware and cautious with a newborn! As a one-off, which you suggest this isn't, I wouldn't be worried about this.

I've reported salad cream too, it was the talk of PMs and journalists that did it for me.

tangerinefeathers Sun 10-Nov-13 06:44:10

Thanks Vivacia. My mother has the more relaxed 70s attitude to parenting but it seems to be getting more relaxed with time & with the pool as well I do think I need to be there from now onwards when she looks after him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now