Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

*do age gaps matter*

(35 Posts)
ilovesprouts Tue 05-Nov-13 14:23:26

going on a date on sat hes 37 im 45 do age gaps really matter !!

Brittapie Thu 07-Nov-13 18:56:09

TBH I wouldn't even think of that as an age gap. It depends on attitudes as well though.

I started seeing XH when I was 21 and he was 31. I was a quite young acting 21 (although by that point I had been paying bills, working full time or more and running a house since I was 18) but he was a REALLY young acting 31 (who had never yet paid a bill in his life - went from parents to uni to wife and everyone looked after him) We both liked going to parties and gigs and it was all great fun.

I did find that he used it a bit to control me, but tbh I'm sure he would have used something else had we been the same age. The main issue came when we both had to grow up when the DDs were born - he chose to grow up by not ging to gigs/parties/performances any more, but sitting in the pub talking about football and leaving me to look after the kids alone every night. I eventually chose to grow up by leaving him grin

Although I've recently started seeing a man even older, so I obviously don't learn...

sparklysilversequins Thu 07-Nov-13 19:51:02

What a load of crap elscov.

LessMissAbs Thu 07-Nov-13 20:13:23

elskovs If the man was older it would be better though. Women don't age as well

Christ! Are you in Britain?

My DH, 2 years younger than me, is often mistaken for being my father.

Thought that was bad until male friend 12 years younger...I'm not going to stealth boast.

Go for it OP.

bubalou Thu 07-Nov-13 20:31:00

They matter as much as you want them to.

I'm 27, DH is 37. Been married 6 years, ds aged 5. Very happy and to be honest I don't think id want to be married to the 27year old dh.

It all feels very even and I think it just depends on the couple how well it works. I do have a friend that is 38 and her fiancé is 25. This is fine of course, but because of their personalities she is more like his mum which can be weird to be around! confused

Twinklestein Thu 07-Nov-13 20:34:02

Bollocks women don't age as well. All my female early 40s friends look amazing. Their partners are generally balding & pot bellied (apart from mine thank the lord).

OP: that's not really an age gap. My h is 5 years older & it's nothing.

TawdryTatou Thu 07-Nov-13 20:47:08

DP is 15 years older.

God, I love the bones of him. We don't even think about the age gap. He's the youngest-at-heart person I know, and he brightens my life every day.

If he needs my help when he's older, I'll gladly give up everything to give him everything he needs. Just like he would for me if I needed his help.

Not only older people get ill. My grandparents had nine days between them, and my granddad had to nurse my grandma through a heart condition throughout her twenties and thirties. He lost her at 36.

There are no guarantees.

broodysnoopstie Fri 08-Nov-13 15:21:37

my Dp is 18 years older than me im 27 he's 45. we have been together 4 years. I've always been older than my years and he is younger! He has never been married or had kids as tbh I think he wasn't mature enough! we are ttc #1 now. I love him he loves me.

Timetoask Fri 08-Nov-13 15:27:37

I don' think it matters while you are both relatively young. Once the pains and aches start appearing and the younger person wants to get on with their life..... things change.

ilovesprouts Tue 12-Nov-13 08:19:35

date went fab he wants to meet again grin

x5739 Fri 15-Nov-13 21:22:22

i think the age gap in some relationships various depend on the type of realationship that two people are involved in. eg with the rise of the cougar woman and the toyboy some times it can be 20+ years gap. one tv show was i think called extreme cougar wives and had woman as the older person with gaps as big as 30-40 years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now