Note: Mumsnetters don't necessarily have the qualifications or experience to offer relationships counselling or to provide help in cases of domestic violence. Mumsnet can't be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

too soon to have sex?

(28 Posts)
mumtobe88 Sun 06-Oct-13 18:28:53

Hi
I gave birth to my daughter 3 weeks ago. She was delivered by ventouse, an extremely traumatic event for me, I lost a lot of blood, had an episiotomy, had to have surgery to remove my placenta as it didn't detach by itself and had a lot of stitches.
I am all healed up now 3 weeks later, my stitches have dissolved and I feel much better in myself.
My husband and I are considering having sex again for the first time since I gave birth but I don't know if its too soon or whether I should wait for my 6 week check up. Would it really be that bad not to wait that long? I feel fine physically, not in any pain at all. Have bought condoms and lube as that was all the advice I could find online.
Does anyone have any suggestions or advice?

Crawling Sun 06-Oct-13 18:44:00

I had sex at three weeks post birth. But I had a normal birth tbh in your situation I wouldn't risk it.

BasilBabyEater Sun 06-Oct-13 18:45:41

I wouldn't.

There was a case a few years ago where someone died as a result of having PIV sex before the six week check up.

It's rare but is it worth it? Can you not just have non-PIV sex for 3 weeks?

mumtobe88 Sun 06-Oct-13 19:10:15

There's always mutual masturbation I suppose. Just wondered if full sex would really be that risky but if someone died as a result of it, I think I might leave it for now.
Thanks for the advice

ThoraNomiki Sun 06-Oct-13 19:21:46

If things feel ok then have a go but veerry slowly and gently with lots of days or even weeks of foreplay first (not all in one sitting haha). He can't just lube up, put it in and start thrusting away.
Make sure there's no pressure for either of you to continue (obviously!) or finish.
When I went for the 6 week check they didn't look at me at all, just the baby, and asked whether we'd attempted sex yet. They said a little pain is normal but to listen to your body and not push it. Damage is most likely to happen if the man is not paying attention to his partner or if she tries to grin and bear it for some reason.

AnyFucker Sun 06-Oct-13 19:25:06

I would swerve penetrative sex until your 6 wk check up.

mumtobe88 Sun 06-Oct-13 19:25:47

Thanks for the advice.
I'm not the type to grin and bear it and he's not the type to force the issue so we'll see how we go! Think we'll just take it slow to start with, as you said, no need to do it all in one sitting. Might be nice to get to know eachother again as we hardly did it at all when I was pregnant.

Pistillate Sun 06-Oct-13 20:52:21

Basil... That sounds awful.

Pistillate Sun 06-Oct-13 20:53:33

Mum to be 88, Well done on healing up so quick. It sounds like you went through it! I would be cautious.

Sex after three weeks.

Respect.

But I would err on the side of caution and wait for your check up.

Fairylea Sun 06-Oct-13 20:56:55

I had a very similar birth to you with my dd ten years ago. My dh (now ex) and I had sex at about 6 weeks after. It was much too soon for me really. I was still traumatised from it all and I found it painful. I'm not saying you will, hopefully all will be fine, but don't rush yourself. I didn't really begin to feel interested in sex again until about a year afterwards! The whole experience of birth was enough to put me off for ages!

lisad123everybodydancenow Sun 06-Oct-13 20:57:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

brettgirl2 Sun 06-Oct-13 20:59:59

That's what hv told me. I think I managed it both times, 3 weeks seems soon tho!

The 6 weeks is a bit of a random figure anyway.

Hunfriend Sun 06-Oct-13 21:06:43

6 weeks is not random - the risk is that sex causes an air embolism to enter the site where the placenta was placed in the uterus.
It needs to heal properly .

I was about to post the same question. I give birth 4 weeks ago and had a small tear which has healed.

Is it normal to wait the 6 weeks ?

Sidge Sun 06-Oct-13 21:31:24

The lining of the uterus where the placenta was can take 4-6 weeks to heal.

Until then it's a raw, healing wound in effect. Sex can hugely increase the risk of infection as well as air embolism.

Of course many women will have full sex before 6 weeks with no problems but especially where you have had a traumatic delivery and needed surgical intervention my advice as a HCP is to wait a bit longer.

Mutual masturbation is fine, but avoid penetrative sex and him giving you oral sex.

Neitheronethingortheother Sun 06-Oct-13 21:49:59

I was happy to have sex and I enjoyed it 2 weeks after my last 2 births. I think it was the novelty of being able to have sex in the missionary position with no bump. Maybe try it and see how you get on. You can stop if it feels uncomfortable and try again in another week.

All I can say is wow, just wow.

2 very straightforward births with stitches but there is no way on this earth I would have considered sex that soon!!!

I was told that if you can you should try sex prior to the 6 week check, that way you'll know if there are any problems to discuss-didn't either time hmm

YoniBottsBumgina Sun 06-Oct-13 22:48:25

I would be careful. If you had stitches there is a very real potential for infection.

Personally I didn't feel ready for months but each to their own...

justabigdisco Sun 06-Oct-13 22:49:52

Wow. I had an episiotomy and it was painful for MONTHS afterwards.

Shellywelly1973 Sun 06-Oct-13 22:55:26

I would try if you and your dh want to.

After my last dc I waited til the 6 week check which eventually happened at 10 weeks as no appointments were available. Then gp just asked me if I was ok. No physical check- absolutely nothing!

Death due to sex after child birth is extremely unusual!

grimbletart Sun 06-Oct-13 23:02:16

What the heck is the rush?

Missbopeep Sun 06-Oct-13 23:03:14

Don't the medics say wait 6 weeks for a reason?

I think we waited 6 months- too tired, too sore, too everything to even think of it.

AnyFucker Sun 06-Oct-13 23:57:12

Nah, MissBP, the experts say it's best not to have penetrative sex until your traumatised reproductive organs have had time to heal because they are fun-sucking bores who want to spoil everybody's sex lives for no reason at all

ahem

Sidge Mon 07-Oct-13 08:03:05

Death due to sex after child birth is extremely unusual!

Well yeah but uterine or episiotomy infection isn't...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now