Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

What is the age gap between yourself and your partner?

(87 Posts)
squinney Mon 30-Sep-13 15:58:23

and what would you consider to be too old or too young?

mrsmartin1984 Mon 30-Sep-13 16:39:48

My DH is 5 1/2 years older. But it does depend on the persons involved. There are some immature 40 year olds and some mature 20 year olds.

Wigeon Mon 30-Sep-13 16:41:46

17 days. I am older grin!

squinney Mon 30-Sep-13 16:42:20

Thanks everyone smile I'm considering meeting someone who is 44, I'm 36. Which is making me slightly nervous, but, from what I can gather, personality, intellect and lifestyle have a lot more to do with compatibility than age.

thecockyfoxreturns Mon 30-Sep-13 16:42:50

DH is 9 years older than me, we have been together 12 years, we are very happy but I know that mumsnet thinks I was groomed as I was 17 and he was 26 when we got together.

caramellokoalalover Mon 30-Sep-13 16:44:56

I'm 3 days older than DH. Cradle snatcher wink I agree with you though, compatibility is more important that a specific age gap.

TwoTearsInABucket Mon 30-Sep-13 16:47:58

DH is 9 years older than me. I am nearly 39. If DH had been younger he wouldn't have been ready for children at the same time as me I think.

We have been together 14 years and the age difference was much more noticeable at the beginning of the relationship.

Sometimes DH is really annoying and talks to me like he is the parent, but that's not our age difference that's just because he's annoying!

milk Mon 30-Sep-13 16:48:38

DH is 9 years, 3 months, 23 days older than me.

BabyStone Mon 30-Sep-13 16:49:34

There is a 7 year age gap between me and DP, i am in my mid 20's and he is early 30s
Before DP I also went for guys who were my age or 1-2 years older, and didn't like the idea of being with someone who was 'alot' older than me and maybe only a year younger than me. But we met, got on really well. He doesn't look or act his age which i think makes me forget his actual age

MummyBeerest Mon 30-Sep-13 16:50:00

DH is 6 years older. I'm 30, he's 36...though I suspect he's secretly 85.

CbeebiesIsMyLife Mon 30-Sep-13 16:50:47

Dh is almost 7 years older than me, I've never really though about it tbh.

weblette Mon 30-Sep-13 16:51:25

20 years between dh and me, this year is our joint 100th! His age has never really been an issue as he stays v fit. We've been married 11 years and have 4dcs.

MummyBeerest Mon 30-Sep-13 16:52:39

Oh...and not sure about my age cap. PrPresumably, not so old that he'd wear dentures or so young thay he'd wear braces.

DH is 7yrs older. I'd go up to 15yrs older. I'd go down to 5yrs younger.

Sindarella Mon 30-Sep-13 16:58:35

P is 10 years older. I don't think i would go younger, or near my age as i think it takes the male species longer to mature grin

OneLittleToddleTerror Mon 30-Sep-13 16:59:19

squinney 44 and 36 is more than normal. I think there's this unwritten rule of half your age plus 7. If your lover/partner/spouse is younger than that, then it becomes a bit strange. I know it's no one is supposed to judge others for love. But it came up with one of our old university friends. He had a divorce last year. And last month he started boasting on fb about his new gf. He's 39 going on 40. His new girl friend graduated from university last year and is 20 or 21. It just feel a bit sleezy, especially all the gifts and expensive meal photos that get posted.

OneLittleToddleTerror Mon 30-Sep-13 16:59:48

I think without that type of fb posts, it would probably look ok!

Tory79 if you don't mind my asking, what sort of difference have you run into? DH and I have a similar age gap and so far so good.

Quote To be honest, it's starting to become an issue. I never noticed it when we were first together, but now at 34 and 42 there is quite a difference between us and not in a good way Quote

Pachacuti Mon 30-Sep-13 17:01:51

6 months.

I suppose up to a point I go along with the bottom of age range being (half your age) plus seven years, top of age range being twice (your age minus seven years) which for you would mean anyone from 25 to 58. But there are plenty of successful relationships outside that range, too.

gamerchick Mon 30-Sep-13 17:02:50

He's 12 years older than me... I adore the bones off him.

I agree that compatibility is more important than age.

You don't have anything to lose do you OP?

Dp is 7 years older. Dated a guy once who was 36 when I was 18, and was fine at the time, but was clearly nothing serious!

springthorn Mon 30-Sep-13 17:08:05

DP is 8 months younger than me. Anyone I've ever had a long term relationship with has been very close in age to me, although I'd probably consider dating anyone between 30 and 45 (I'm 34).

ajmc67 Mon 30-Sep-13 17:09:24

I'm 45, nearly 46...bf is 23. Been together four and a half years. I'm sure many people think it's odd/sleazy but that's their problem...we're quite happy!

smilingthroughgrittedteeth Mon 30-Sep-13 17:10:08

dp is 12 years older than me, I don't have an age limit ive been out with older and younger men and really don't think age matters.

ouryve Mon 30-Sep-13 17:10:31

I'm 4 years older. At our age, it's hardly an issue.

SaskiaRembrandtVampireHunter Mon 30-Sep-13 17:11:38

There's only a week between DH and I.

ExH was four years older, but I don't think his age made any difference to our relationship, although he did have a habit of 'pulling rank', I think that was because of the type of person he was rather than the age gap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now